PDA

View Full Version : Cathay DEFO bonds? Commute? Salary?

East
26th Feb 2023, 00:46
Hi guys I am an A320 guy just hit north of 1500hours on type.

trying to apply Cathay and have some questions regarding it

1. Is there any bonds for DEFO ? I am not type rated in A350 so if I get to fly A350 do I pay a bonds if I resign before x years of service?

2. How long is the training? Will I be able to finish all line training within 4months?

3. Will I be able to commute? I live in Kimchi world which is 4hours flight from HK. Can i manage or bid schedule accordingly so I can commute with many dayoffs in a row?

4. Salary stated in Cathay website is 865000HKD with 20000 housing allowance per month. So its roughly 1100000 HKD. Is this a real number I can expect to get?

P.s : I am currently in worst possible airlines. This place is about to bankrupt. Thus any place which can offer me a job is fine with me.

AQIS Boigu
26th Feb 2023, 01:44
You are the perfect candidate for CX

1) yes, bond…300k HKG deductible over 3 years
2) 4-6 months
3) Asian commute is possibly doable depending on the fleet; 320/330 forget it, 350 maybe - planes are very full and you need to be in HKG at least 12 hrs before your next duty
4) 1.1 mill assumes you are flying a full roster; bank on 70k HK$ a month before tax

bananarepublic
26th Feb 2023, 03:19
Hi guys I am an A320 guy just hit north of 1500hours on type.

trying to apply Cathay and have some questions regarding it

1. Is there any bonds for DEFO ? I am not type rated in A350 so if I get to fly A350 do I pay a bonds if I resign before x years of service?

2. How long is the training? Will I be able to finish all line training within 4months?

3. Will I be able to commute? I live in Kimchi world which is 4hours flight from HK. Can i manage or bid schedule accordingly so I can commute with many dayoffs in a row?

4. Salary stated in Cathay website is 865000HKD with 20000 housing allowance per month. So its roughly 1100000 HKD. Is this a real number I can expect to get?

P.s : I am currently in worst possible airlines. This place is about to bankrupt. Thus any place which can offer me a job is fine with me.

You might want to consider Air Hong Kong if you want to commute. Pitiful staff travel but you get do 8 on / 6 off or 9 on / 12 off rosters. They also give you a hotel before each duty so you don't even need a crash pad in HK. Typical salary is 100k/month for an FO.

swh
26th Feb 2023, 04:04
Yes, will get offer on the A350 and you will start on 747
1) Bond will go to the DFO over many years
2) Training very quick, only 6-12 months
3) Yes comminuting is possible, airport to Tung Chung and back every day. Each trip away only 12 days.
4) if it is on the website, it must be true.

Australia2
26th Feb 2023, 06:43
They are currently incredibly short on the A320 fleet with very limited training capacity; expect A320.

Training will still be very elongated with few sectors & training captain’s availability.

Forget commuting on short haul.

Yes it’s a job, please be warned.

East
26th Feb 2023, 19:25
You might want to consider Air Hong Kong if you want to commute. Pitiful staff travel but you get do 8 on / 6 off or 9 on / 12 off rosters. They also give you a hotel before each duty so you don't even need a crash pad in HK. Typical salary is 100k/month for an FO.

just looked up their requirements and find out they require 3000hours of total flight time. Too bad I only have 1900 hours

East
26th Feb 2023, 19:27
They are currently incredibly short on the A320 fleet with very limited training capacity; expect A320.

Training will still be very elongated with few sectors & training captain’s availability.

Forget commuting on short haul.

Yes it’s a job, please be warned.

Am I assigned to fleet before I join? If it is the case I can decide whether to go or not depends on the fleet type that I get. If it isn't too bad I have to flip a coin

TurningFinalRWY36
27th Feb 2023, 00:20
Don't listen to what HR tell you about what fleet you will be on. You won't know till your first day. Mixed bag at the moment. Either 747 350 or 777. Sure 320 will soon be thrown into the mix

Atrboeingairbus
27th Feb 2023, 16:18
Any tips for the Ms Team online interview? Have one scheduled with them in a few days and have no idea on what to expect.

Oasis
27th Feb 2023, 16:22
Who is it with? HR, pilot or both?

Oddball77
28th Feb 2023, 06:20
just looked up their requirements and find out they require 3000hours of total flight time. Too bad I only have 1900 hours

Just apply, 3000 hours is not a hard limit. I’ve heard of guys get in with much less time.

Atrboeingairbus
28th Feb 2023, 09:37
Who is it with? HR, pilot or both?
Apparently, it is both. The email says HR + technical interview.

Oasis
28th Feb 2023, 10:30
Apparently, it is both. The email says HR + technical interview.
If its the tech interview as well, you really want to be prepared. It's been a while for me but I studied for a month for the interview back then.
Maybe someone more recent can chime in. Know the fleet, know the recent news, know broad general transport jet stuff.
'Handling the big jets' was the book I used to prepare. was not fun to read.
For the interview with the pilot there, just act natural, he will be sitting next to you in the airplane for 5 hours in a stretch, so show a personality that would be compatible with that.
Aim your web cam in a way so you don't have an upward angle, look into the camera once in a while, to make 'eye contact'.
Good luck!

East
3rd Mar 2023, 11:00
Just apply, 3000 hours is not a hard limit. I’ve heard of guys get in with much less time.

Emailed them about whether I am eligible to apply. Haven't got any reply from them I am crying.

bananarepublic
5th Mar 2023, 07:56
can anyone shed any light on how long it takes for CX to respond at the moment after submitting an application?

airdualbleedfault
11th Mar 2023, 04:01
Yes, will get offer on the A350 and you will start on 747
1) Bond will go to the DFO over many years
2) Training very quick, only 6-12 months
3) Yes comminuting is possible, airport to Tung Chung and back every day. Each trip away only 12 days.
4) if it is on the website, it must be true.
Gold Jerry, Gold!!

Zi Peng
15th Mar 2023, 05:13
He’s new here ….

You have thousands of disgruntled pilots in all ranks and Ricardo …. you keep doing your research.
Find a few more balanced guys and get their take maybe privately, please do not believe a word coming from the airline.
We all did for sometime and look where we are.

Hello! Congrats on hitting over 1500 hours on the A320, and good luck with your application to Cathay. Regarding your questions:
I don't know about the bonds for DEFO, but it's always best to check with the airline directly to get accurate information.
The length of training may vary, but it's possible to finish line training within 4 months.
Discussing your commute plans with the airline during the interview process is best.

main_dog
15th Mar 2023, 09:09
Wise words. Believe little of what you read on the Prune (except for the few balanced views here and there), and not a word of what the airline says.

Icarlosdaniel
9th Aug 2023, 05:14
Any recommendations for the assessment in Hong Kong? Or does anyone know what it's about?
thanks

airdualbleedfault
23rd Aug 2023, 09:43
I think one thing the posters above didn't mention, you have to be a pretty good actor to convince Human Remains that you can not only survive on the salary but that you are happy to live in one of the most crowded and polluted 5hitholes on this planet.
Good luck

starmaid
28th Oct 2023, 05:11
Hey Folks,

I've got my DEFO interview coming up in a month from now.

What can I expect during the sim and tech interview?

What's the current take home salary? Time to upgrade?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks