PDA

View Full Version : What does "check-in" mean nowadays?

c52
22nd Feb 2023, 12:59
It used to mean you handed over your ticket and luggage and in return received a boarding pass and a receipt. It used also to mean you were actually at the airport and there was a very high chance you would be taking the flight.

But now?

Less Hair
22nd Feb 2023, 13:10
Most of the check-in is done by apps or software, even automated these days. This way, checked bags might just need to be "dropped". The legally relevant moment is when you pass the gate checkpoint, presenting your boarding pass. This is the moment your "flight" officially begins and when your ticket is considered to be used.

c52
22nd Feb 2023, 14:57
That's worth knowing, I suppose. And the significance of "dropping" bags had escaped me.

Less Hair
22nd Feb 2023, 15:49
Make sure to label your bags before you drop them sometimes you have to print the label and attach it yourself,

UV
23rd Feb 2023, 18:39
Am I missing something here?

I never check in on line when taking a bag that needs to go in the hold as I have to check the bag in anyway and so don’t see the point of checking in on line.
Even if I “drop” the bag off I still have to queue up, and get a label for it.

So it takes no longer for me to check in at the airport and let them do it all for me.

V_2
23rd Feb 2023, 19:07
Am I missing something here?
So it takes no longer for me to check in at the airport and let them do it all for me.

depends on so much, what airline you’re on, the airport, where you are going, the time of day, the Passenger service agent you see.

for example I used to do bag drop for Virgin at LHR T3. If it was quiet and you come to me not checked in with a US passport going to the states, it’s quicker to check you in then explain/persuade you to go use a self self kiosk to checkin. At rush hour, a family of 5 with UK/Nigerian/china etc going to the states it takes so long with Visa/ESTA, covid, hotel address, next of kin etc to check you in I’d tell you to go use a kiosk. If you are nice and have little baggage I might let you jump the queue when you come back.

if the queue for bag drop is long and taking a long time, often it’s because people haven’t checked-in in advance and the agents are doing it for them which normally they shouldn’t be

PAXboy
23rd Feb 2023, 21:13
It is true that Check-In can now mean anything the carrier wants it to mean.

Asturias56
24th Feb 2023, 07:44
It's true that checking in on line seems silly if you have to speak or drop a bag but I wonder if on overbooked flights those who have checked in on-line and printed their boarding passes are less likely to be bumped at the last minute.

V_2
24th Feb 2023, 08:02
If no-one volunteers for offloading, normally the passengers last to check in are offloaded, easy to know and your boarding card has your sequence number on it. Frequent flyer status, even entry level might help but not always.so many variables

but checking in last minute will risk getting a pick of the worst seats, and for groups sitting apart. Used to deal with it daily. Ironically checking in right at the last minute the economy cabin was sometimes full and then they’d get put into business. Just luck on the day

S.o.S.
24th Feb 2023, 08:15
Hello V_2 and welcome to the cabin. Your feedback on this topic is appreciated. I am aware that it can be 'Last In = First Out' and since on-line check-in began, have always tried to do so as early as possible. Perhaps because I started travelling in the era of phoning the airline three days before to 'Confirm' your flight!

Planemike
25th Feb 2023, 10:37
IF this is "thread drift", apologies in advance.....!! I have not flown on a airline since 2017.... No immediate plans to do so but would like to at some stage.
Does the fact I do not possess a "Smart" 'phone preclude me from flying?? If I did possess one, I would not have a clue what to do with it!! I have no interest in having one as I am not in the least "techie". If I decided to book a flight I would do it through a travel agent... What are my chances of being able to be a passenger again???

OH BTW, I can read and write and hopefully understand the King's English. Also possess a valid UK passport so please do not write me off completely....LOLOL !!!!

Expatrick
25th Feb 2023, 12:08
IF this is "thread drift", apologies in advance.....!! I have not flown on a airline since 2017.... No immediate plans to do so but would like to at some stage.
Does the fact I do not possess a "Smart" 'phone preclude me from flying?? If I did possess one, I would not have a clue what to do with it!! I have no interest in having one as I am not in the least "techie". If I decided to book a flight I would do it through a travel agent... What are my chances of being able to be a passenger again???

OH BTW, I can read and write and hopefully understand the King's English. Also possess a valid UK passport so please do not write me off completely....LOLOL !!!!

Tried to check in online with BA last week - total fail (site wouldn't move on). BA agent finally said "check in at the airport tomorrow", which I did, quicker & easier!

Blackfriar
25th Feb 2023, 12:38

I used to use the smartphone app for the boarding card/pass until I realised "what if I was mugged, lost my phone or it ran out of battery or broke?" (Also applies to train tickets now as well). So I then bought a £5 second hand smartphone and just used it for tickets and boarding cards, downloading them via WiFi at home and so needing no SIM card or contract. But it's still a faff swioing it to wake it up, password etc. Now I've changed and check-in on-line on the computer and print the boarding cards and fast-track passes on a single sheet of paper. That way my phone is now my backup to my paper.
Air travel has become a nightmare and you need to learn all the tricks/rules regarding check-in, seat booking, baggage, hand baggage, forbidden items, liquids in small amounts in a sealable plastic bag (?) etc.
I fly every month so I've learned relatively quickly, but it's all domestic day trips so no bags and no passports.

PAXboy
25th Feb 2023, 12:46
Planemike. Not a problem. Just turn up with your case and documents. Allow a little more time than in the old days as there are now fewer check-in agents (saves money) as a fair number will go through the machines. If concerned about not having a physical ticket to hold - you might ask a [dare I say?] younger relative to print things out for you. I have worked in IT since I was in my mid-20s so am happy to do this but, I understand, Grandchildren do have their uses in these matters!! :ok:

DaveReidUK
25th Feb 2023, 13:06
If concerned about not having a physical ticket to hold

And if you're flying with a LCC, Ryanair for example, then arriving at the airport without a previously printed boarding pass is definitely a bad idea.

Asturias56
25th Feb 2023, 14:16
Its far faster with paper - by the time you log in , unlock the phone , try and find the App or the Code, try and present it to the reader - which never works first time................

redsnail
25th Feb 2023, 16:58
Some airports like Marrakech don't accept electronic boarding passes so you need to have them printed off before arrival or check in at the airport. If you don't have a smart phone, no problem. Log on to the airline's website, do what you need to do and print off the boarding pass. Stash with your passport and life's good. :)

One thing I found out, the printed boarding pass for the JFK-LHR leg did not have the terminal printed on it, whereas the app boarding pass did... And no, the 2 different folks checking our BP at the lounges did not twig that we were in the wrong terminal....

Planemike
25th Feb 2023, 17:14
Thank you for the replies.......you have encouraged me no end!! I may yet live to fly another day...!! Just need to get my printer up & working again.!!!
BTW It could not be move different to my first flight, Blackbushe to Nairobi in November 1952. I was seven at the time, seem to recall Dad did most of the organising !!

Mr Mac
25th Feb 2023, 21:06
Planemike
I fly quite a lot, but I can tell you I never ever get board of looking out of the window in what ever A/C I am in. There will be a day though, with either ill health or more likely insurance costs, when I will know longer will be able to do it, and I will miss it greatly. So grab the moment.

Cheers
Mr Mac

PAXboy
26th Feb 2023, 01:47
When I travel, even if I have the App and info on my phone - I still print out the details for several reasons.

It is true that your phone can seize up, fail to connect or just not provide the information at the critical moment.
When reaching an agent, it is far faster to slip the paper under the plastic face guard, or across the counter. Then they have all the info they need in one place and can read the particular items in the sequence they need. If you hold the phone - it may be too far away for them to see clearly. If you pass the phone to them, they may acciendtally touch the screen in such a way as the information vanishes.
When you have to ask anyone for information, or respond to a request from ground or cabin crew - it is much easier and faster to hand over the paper than put your hand case down and fish out your phone!

When I print my boarding pass at home, I sometimes tweak the key parts of the image to print on a 1/3 sheet of A4 180gsm, so that it is the shape, and almost the size, of a printed boarding pass. Some fellow pax have asked me how I do that.

Planemike
26th Feb 2023, 11:04
Planemike
I fly quite a lot, but I can tell you I never ever get board of looking out of the window in what ever A/C I am in. There will be a day though, with either ill health or more lightly insurance costs when I will know longer will be able to do it, and I will miss it greatly. So grab the moment.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac......
Thank you for the encouragement. Like you just love being up there and looking out on the world, sometimes just a load of clouds....!! Certainly hope to fly again, have a few ideas on what I would like to fly in and where to. Guess I have done my fair share since that first flight in 1952.... PM

S.o.S.
26th Feb 2023, 11:32
Planemike I don't mind a bit of thread drift because that is how conversations roll along. 1952 was certainly another era and how wonderful to be able to see that span of development and change. For me, a window seat is always vital and I pay extra to ensure it. I was once stuck in the 'D' seat of 'Y' from SFO to HKG and it was a miserable 10 hours and saw nothing of the fab Chequer Board approach. Fortunately, I did see it on other occasions.

Also thanks to c52 for starting this thread.

Mr Mac
26th Feb 2023, 17:09
Planemike
My first flight was back from Zurich in 1960 about 2 weeks after I was born, presumably with BEA though a little young to appreciate it, so I am a few years behind you.

S.o.S
One of the best things about this cabin is the conversation, and how it develops, and the gentleness of it, and the light hand required in moderation as a result. Thank you.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Expatrick
26th Feb 2023, 19:52
Planemike
I fly quite a lot, but I can tell you I never ever get board of looking out of the window in what ever A/C I am in. There will be a day though, with either ill health or more likely insurance costs, when I will know longer will be able to do it, and I will miss it greatly. So grab the moment.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Gosh, I wish I could share your continuing enthusiasm! I used to love flying, what an adventure! Now I'm sick of it. In fact only last week I took what will be my final, enforced flight - enforced because it was my Mother's funeral in the UK, first flight since 2019. Very first flight - by Dart Herald to Jersey in 1962, loved it, brimmed over with excitement. Next one by Bristol car freighter to Cherbourg - now that was fun!. Now? Can't stand it. Shame really but there we go.

Planemike
26th Feb 2023, 20:14
Planemike I don't mind a bit of thread drift because that is how conversations roll along. 1952 was certainly another era and how wonderful to be able to see that span of development and change. For me, a window seat is always vital and I pay extra to ensure it. I was once stuck in the 'D' seat of 'Y' from SFO to HKG and it was a miserable 10 hours and saw nothing of the fab Chequer Board approach. Fortunately, I did see it on other occasions.

Also thanks to c52 for starting this thread.
Ha ha......I need no more encouragement....!!! Agree with you completely about window a seat. I feel "caged" without one. Remember I had a flight in NZ, Nelson to Wellington, double disappointment, I was expecting a flight in a Swearengin Metro but Air NZ needed some extra seats so substituted a Saab 340. My seat on the 340 was adjacent to the prop with a blanked off window......grrrr!!!

I reflect on the development that took place in my time on the London - Nairobi route. As I said first time (my first ever flight) 1952, that was only 20 years after the first direct (??!!) air service from London. I seem to recall that took about eight days, eleven to Capetown. ""Direct" involved about five different aircraft and a train journey: not allowed to overfly Italy. My flight was in a Vickers Viking (derived from the Wellington). Non pressurised (max altitude abt 14000ft, often much less than that) great views, of course, especially from the cockpit where my Dad and I were able to spend quite some time: Dad was ex RAF as were the aircrew.
Tail wheel, hey, an airliner that could be ground looped! 28 passengers: three cockpit crew (flight deck yet to invented !!). One stewardess (again cabin crew yet to be invented). The crew all did the whole trip with same passengers. Oh yes, she was called Helen and I fell madly in love with her....!! I still have post card from her.....!!

My final trip to Nairobi was in 1983 (to my Dad's funeral), just over 30 years from my first flight. BA 747 direct from LHR in about eight hours. Two crew on the flight deck and about fifteen in the cabin looking after around 350 passengers... Could hardly have been more different. During the 50/60s I made the trip on quite a few other types, including being hauled along by four RR Merlins.....!!

Yes, some wonderful flights, great memories. Do hope I can manage a few more flights before making the final one !!! It will depend on whether I can master buying a ticket and printing out a boarding card.....!!

DaveReidUK
26th Feb 2023, 21:25
My seat on the 340 was adjacent to the prop with a blanked off window......grrrr!!!

Something to bear in mind when the flight you're booking is on a turboprop - most, if not all, are designed like the 340 so that there's no window (not just a blanked-off one) in line with the prop.

India Four Two
27th Feb 2023, 02:44
I was reminiscing the other day with an equally ancient friend about the old IATA hand -written "carbon" tickets. Anyone remember those? :)

If you changed your booking, you had to go to the airline office or a travel agent and get little stickers added to the appropriate line! The good old days.

DaveReidUK
27th Feb 2023, 06:21
I was reminiscing the other day with an equally ancient friend about the old IATA hand -written "carbon" tickets. Anyone remember those? :)

Round about 1974/75 I was involved in the training for a big Engineering IT project at BA. In order to have sufficient staff trained on it before it went live, a wizened old IT guy who lived in a little hut on the BOAC side was tasked with building a simulator that emulated the user screens.

On my visits to see him, he would proudly show me another project he was working on - a prototype ticket printer - which I thought at the time was extremely cool.

Asturias56
27th Feb 2023, 08:00

If you changed your booking, you had to go to the airline office or a travel agent and get little stickers added to the appropriate line! The good old days.

And carry a wad of paper inches thick if you travelled with your familiy

5711N0205W
27th Feb 2023, 13:06
I still get a thrill from flying, something like 45 years since my first flight. Up to 2019 I was traveling frequently for work, a mix of long haul East/West and also Europe/Scandinavia. My philosophy was always to be in possession of a piece of paper to facilitate access to the aircraft.

Now flying is almost exclusively for leisure reasons and last week a short hop to London in the back of an A320 saw the camera out, the link below takes you from the end of pushback to climbing out from Runway 34 in Aberdeen if you are inclined to view. We did rely fully on the electronic boarding pass, screenshot of the boarding pass app image/phone screen rotation turned off and all worked well.. I suppose a battery or phone failure would be dealt with in the same way as a lost or damaged paper boarding pass.

View from seat 23A

PAXboy
27th Feb 2023, 22:30
However tired or fed up I am am, no matter how bad my mood, when we turn on to the active, I start to perk up and, when the engines move to take off power? I start smiling.

5711N0205W Last time through ABZ was 1998.

Tickets? When we went from those multi-part with carbons to the ATB ticket - we thought we were really in the new age! When I was watching The Man From U.N.C.L.E in the mid-60s, we could never have believed the technology that we now carry in our pockets. I was in Telecomms and IT for 27 years and am still amazed by it.

I've bored the cabin before so a quick recap: Dec 1965, LHR Oceanic Terminal [3] to JNB via CIA and NBO on a standard VC10. Bliss and I have never lost the delight. I could risk it by saying: "When I am run down - all I need is for aero-engines to run up ...!"

25F
27th Feb 2023, 22:40
Always A4 printouts for me, but in black-and-white - not wasting colour ink on advertising!
Done at least 24 hours in advance - <mumble> decades in IT has convinced me that printers are sentient, and *know* if you are in a hurry, and so decide to throw a hissy fit.
I used to use an inkjet printer, but found that after a few months of inaction, the printheads had inevitably seized up. So replacement cartridges at ~20 quid a go. So I bought a laser printer for ~120 quid. Came with "starter" toner packs but they were still good for a lot of printouts. Official refills would have been ~400, but found a toner top-up company that could provide chips and toner for ~200 - which will do me for many years. A bit of DIY involved, and laser ink is *very* messy stuff...

Squawk 6042
28th Feb 2023, 06:47

OH BTW, I can read and write and hopefully understand the King's English. Also possess a valid UK passport so please do not write me off completely....LOLOL !!!!Pardon a quick digression on a digression before I get back on point.

No one would expect to be able to fully function in society without the ability to read and write. However, increasingly, the same could be said of the smartphone, you cannot expect to fully participate if you do not have one. Not saying I agree it should be so, far from it, but it is what it is.

I too was a hold out, only nudged into having a smartphone two years ago due to COVID documentation only available by that route whilst on the move. Furthermore, a new job relied on participating in various WhatsApp groups – used that as a lever to get my first smartphone out of the company and an allowance that more than covered the running costs.

Now, checking-in. I always try and check-in online, in the possibly/probably mistaken belief that it gets me ‘on the plane’. If I can, I will print my boarding pass, although often when travelling I will not have access to a printer, so will still present myself, even though I will also put it on my smartphone.

Often on long haul flights, I am one of the very few who only has a carry-on bag, so by using on-line check-in, the first contact I would have would be at the gate when boarding. This would sometimes result in my name being paged at the gate, as up until then I had not been ‘seen’. More recently, presumably to avoid such a scenario, some of the destinations I travel to are such that online check-in is not possible anyway, so as to make someone present at the desk to check visas etc.

I too will go out of my way to get a window seat - think of how much someone might pay for an aerial tour of the Amazon, the Himalaya, the Sahara - and that is included in the price!! However, it is surprising even on day time flights (non-sun side of course!!) how many blinds remain fully down, to the point of appearing the odd person out. As a single traveller, I have sometimes also been pressured to move, despite having selected and in some cases paid extra for a specific seat, so that two people, who had made no such advance provision, can 'sit together'. Does this happen to others? How do you manage the situation? I think, in particular, having paid extra for a specific seat, the airline should make it voluntary, but we know that they can be a law unto themselves.

ZFT
28th Feb 2023, 08:42
Pardon a quick digression on a digression before I get back on point.

No one would expect to be able to fully function in society without the ability to read and write. However, increasingly, the same could be said of the smartphone, you cannot expect to fully participate if you do not have one. Not saying I agree it should be so, far from it, but it is what it is.

I too was a hold out, only nudged into having a smartphone two years ago due to COVID documentation only available by that route whilst on the move. Furthermore, a new job relied on participating in various WhatsApp groups – used that as a lever to get my first smartphone out of the company and an allowance that more than covered the running costs.

Now, checking-in. I always try and check-in online, in the possibly/probably mistaken belief that it gets me ‘on the plane’. If I can, I will print my boarding pass, although often when travelling I will not have access to a printer, so will still present myself, even though I will also put it on my smartphone.

Often on long haul flights, I am one of the very few who only has a carry-on bag, so by using on-line check-in, the first contact I would have would be at the gate when boarding. This would sometimes result in my name being paged at the gate, as up until then I had not been ‘seen’. More recently, presumably to avoid such a scenario, some of the destinations I travel to are such that online check-in is not possible anyway, so as to make someone present at the desk to check visas etc.

I too will go out of my way to get a window seat - think of how much someone might pay for an aerial tour of the Amazon, the Himalaya, the Sahara - and that is included in the price!! However, it is surprising even on day time flights (non-sun side of course!!) how many blinds remain fully down, to the point of appearing the odd person out. As a single traveller, I have sometimes also been pressured to move, despite having selected and in some cases paid extra for a specific seat, so that two people, who had made no such advance provision, can 'sit together'. Does this happen to others? How do you manage the situation? I think, in particular, having paid extra for a specific seat, the airline should make it voluntary, but we know that they can be a law unto themselves.

No works for me.

Planemike
28th Feb 2023, 13:25

No one would expect to be able to fully function in society without the ability to read and write. However, increasingly, the same could be said of the smartphone, you cannot expect to fully participate if you do not have one. Not saying I agree it should be so, far from it, but it is what it is. s.
I can read and write fairly proficiently. Not sure why I should be forced into having a so-called "smartphone", I have no interest in having one. If I was to be given one I would have no idea how to use it or what to do with it and to be candid have no desire to find out. It would lie in a drawer at home until someone clears away my belongings after I am gone on "my last flight"....
Thought a little more about this one. Learning to read & write is a "one off" exercise, sure you can improve with practise. You do not need to keep paying for the privilege of being able to read and write. You do not need to indulge in perpetual upgrades!!".

davidjohnson6
28th Feb 2023, 15:57
100 years ago, many people saw no need to pay for this new-fangled thing called a motorcar when a horse-and-carriage seemed fine, nor a reason why they should buy a new car every N years because of the need to upgrade. Yet somehow, people decided they wanted to go through the hassle of learning to drive and paying significant amounts of money to buy a car as well as fuel, insurance, MOT, etc...because it made life easier.
Nobody is forced to have a smartphone... but when travelling, and particularly when flying, it makes life easier.

Planemike
28th Feb 2023, 17:14
For whom does it make life easier ?? Certainly not for me; I do not have a clue how to use one, way too complicated and I have zero interest in learning. Maybe for the airlines...???

davidjohnson6
28th Feb 2023, 17:44
...and I have zero interest in learning...
That might be the problem

PAXboy
28th Feb 2023, 17:47
I think the problem that countless companies have created is that they want to move people onto using the Smartphone 'Apps' because it saves them money and gives them more control. They forget the generation who are not going to use them. Govts make the same mistake. The banks have wanted to dump Cheques for a long time to save money and the govt was going to support them - until they got a swift kick from their older voters. Cheques should be allowed to die a natural death - not when it suits the banks.

Airlines and many others, should wait for customers to adapt and not force them to use 'old' methods. I don't think the finance people realise what they are doing to cusotmer service. The big bosses should know better.

Mr Mac
28th Feb 2023, 20:49

Squak 6042
When flying on an A380 in Business, I will take a window seat, and my wife will do the same, and don’t try and put us in the middle. It is the same for both of us when on business. If on a business trip, you will usually see enough of your colleagues after your flight, the only exception being unless there is a pressing meeting shortly after arrival for us. So window seats for both of us even when travelling short haul say for 3 hrs, but on something like 777 for longer we will sit together, and argue who gets the window seat 😉
So to quickly answer your question no, not for moving.

Cheers
Mr Mac

PAXboy
28th Feb 2023, 21:51
If I have paid for a seat - I will never move. If the person who did not get it right wants to pay my upgrade to the next cabin (+ window seat) that will be considered.

As we know, all airlines now make a lot of money from the ancilliaries: Seating; Special Food; Extra cases; Last minute booking; Not checking in as they want and anything else they can think of.

25F
1st Mar 2023, 00:33
If you've paid for a specific seat, no social obligation to switch. OTOH I have *offered* to switch my (allocated) middle seat for an aisle to let a couple sit together. Win-win.

But usually I am with the offspring so we have a row of three (me in the middle to prevent squabbles) so it doesn't come up. On a recent trip found our row already occupied. Very politely, I hope, asked them to move back down the aircraft to the noisy bit.

Smartphones: I was a latecomer. But I would not be without one now. Mapping tools are extremely useful. Flightradar lets me know what that aircraft is overhead. Night sky apps mean I can point the phone up to the sky and find out what planet it is. Photos. Video calls. Turn the TV on when we can't find the remote. Control the washing machine when the touch-sensitive panel is playing up. Check rail times, translate foreign menus, check rain forecasts...

Squawk 6042
1st Mar 2023, 05:28
As I mentioned above, if you check-in online, print your boarding pass and have a cabin bag only, then the first time the airline would know that Squawk 6042 is ‘in the building’ would be during boarding at the gate.

However, at for example Manchester, you have to scan your boarding pass to enter the security check area. I wonder if that is just a check on boarding pass validity to keep non-travellers from getting airside, or is the scan also linked to the airline IT networks so that at that stage you are at least flagged up on the computer as being present? Same for if you use a lounge?

Planemike
1st Mar 2023, 11:01
That might be the problem
Yes, it certainly is.......!!! By and large the arrangements that preceded the advent of the ""smartphone"" worked for me and I guess many millions of others.....
You did not need a degree in advanced Information Technology to understand it and operate it...!!!

Asturias56
2nd Mar 2023, 07:42
"You did not need a degree in advanced Information Technology to understand it and operate it...!!!"

But they do help :(

Its just something else you have to learn - even if you don't want to

Planemike
2nd Mar 2023, 14:51
"You did not need a degree in advanced Information Technology to understand it and operate it...!!!"

But they do help :(

Its just something else you have to learn - even if you don't want to
Why should I have to "learn" anything.....? Quite happy to learn if it gives me pleasure or it is of some benefit to me. Much of this stuff is being forced up on us by either government or big business because it suits their book... Just a small "add on"; my current mobile (not smart) cost me around £ 10.oo/15.oo, probably about eight years ago. As I recall the case cost about the same as the 'phone.!!It works, does what I need it to do. Was in my 'phone provider yesterday: the updated version of mine was on offer at £29.oo. Asked the girl who was attending to me what the cheapest smartphone would cost, she pointed to the next one along, that was on offer at £ 109.oo !!! Will be using my present 'phone for the time being....!!

PAXboy
2nd Mar 2023, 15:59
Companies should make their products available in several ways to give their customers a choice. That does not mean every possible way but trying to get everyone on the smartphone is not good service.

A couple of years ago, I dropped a friend off in LHR T5 for a long haul and proof of Cv19 vaccination required at check in. She opened her Smartphone but could not get a signal. The data is stored centrally to prevent as much fraud as possible. So I switched my Smartphone on to make a 'HotSpot', this means that my phone is connected to the network but allows her phone to connect to mine and use my network temporarily. It all worked and we apologised for the delay.

On more than one occaision at JNB international departures, I have not been able to get a signal to my phone for check-in. OR I get the pass on the phone but, by the time I get to the head of the queue, the screen has blanked to save power - and I then cannot get a signal to refresh the screen.

So I always take printed paper along with me. The same goes for hotel and car bookings. ANYTHING I book before we leave home is in my carry on. When I get home, the paper goes into the recycling.

Expatrick
2nd Mar 2023, 16:22
Why should I have to "learn" anything.....? Quite happy to learn if it gives me pleasure or it is of some benefit to me. Much of this stuff is being forced up on us by either government or big business because it suits their book...

Or because it's trendy, for everything now there has to be a an "app", regardless of whether it is appropriate.

Asturias56
2nd Mar 2023, 16:40
well you could avoid learning to read & write. It's not absolutely necessary to live, even in a modern country.

But in general that's the way it's gone - once a large part of society takes up a technology you have the choice to join in or stay out. personally I really dislike having to spend time on something I don't want to have - but its very hard to avoid.

NRU74
2nd Mar 2023, 18:00
I always take a pic of the boarding pass on my fairly old iphone so there's never any need for a broadband connection.

RevMan2
3rd Mar 2023, 17:50
When I travel, even if I have the App and info on my phone - I still print out the details for several reasons.

It is true that your phone can seize up, fail to connect or just not provide the information at the critical moment.
When reaching an agent, it is far faster to slip the paper under the plastic face guard, or across the counter. Then they have all the info they need in one place and can read the particular items in the sequence they need. If you hold the phone - it may be too far away for them to see clearly. If you pass the phone to them, they may acciendtally touch the screen in such a way as the information vanishes.
When you have to ask anyone for information, or respond to a request from ground or cabin crew - it is much easier and faster to hand over the paper than put your hand case down and fish out your phone!

When I print my boarding pass at home, I sometimes tweak the key parts of the image to print on a 1/3 sheet of A4 180gsm, so that it is the shape, and almost the size, of a printed boarding pass. Some fellow pax have asked me how I do that.

Belts and braces.
Always had OHP slides as a backup in case the laptop/projector setup didn’t work
Always have a physical boarding pass to go with the app or Apple Wallet
And don’t forget - the Muricans require a physical eticket. (Go figure)