PDA

View Full Version : de Havilland 60 Moth G-EBKT..

Planemike
22nd Feb 2023, 11:01
Today is the 98th anniversary of the first flight of this iconic aeroplane. Took place on a wet Sunday afternoon at Stag Lane aerodrome.
The rest, as they say is history...!!

treadigraph
22nd Feb 2023, 21:46
Shame it didn't survive. .

treadigraph
22nd Feb 2023, 21:53
See it was owned by the redoubtable Norman Jones during its all too brief career.

Planemike
23rd Feb 2023, 11:21
Shame it didn't survive. .
treadi........
Yes, indeed, would have been wonderful to still have it around. Fortunately we do still have the twentieth off the line (c/n 188)....G-EBLV., airworthy at Shuttleworth. Also there of course is deH 51 G-EBIR from which the deH 60 was derived....
The one that I felt should never have "got away" was the prototype deH 89. It was broken up in Switzerland in the early 60s in the days before the Moth Club...
We do, of course, have the prototype Mosquito at Salisbury Hall. The prototype deH 114 Heron survives in Australia. I would be all in favour of retrieving that and rebuilding it.

VictorGolf
23rd Feb 2023, 12:08
It would be good to get the prototype Heron back but there seems to be little interest in the type as Heron G-AORG seems to be stuck in Jersey with the "Sword of Damocles" hanging over it.

treadigraph
23rd Feb 2023, 12:09
Astonishes me just how many DH-60s have "reappeared" over the years, now some 31 in the UK - my 1974 Civil Aircraft Markings listed perhaps half a dozen or so! Good that so many vestigial hulks gathering dust in sheds didn't end up as fire wood and gave people like Ron Souche an opportunity to restore them.

Strangely I've never seen my nearest example, G-ABYA, which was stored at Biggin Hill for so many years before recent restoration.

My nearest aeroplane is the Croydon Heron (unless a near neighbour and Tiger Club member is constructing another homebuilt...)

Fournierf5
23rd Feb 2023, 13:47
Today is the 98th anniversary of the first flight of this iconic aeroplane. Took place on a wet Sunday afternoon at Stag Lane aerodrome.
The rest, as they say is history...!!

Its history . . . courtesy of Bryan R. Swopes

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/22-february-1925/

Planemike
23rd Feb 2023, 14:13
It would be good to get the prototype Heron back but there seems to be little interest in the type as Heron G-AORG seems to be stuck in Jersey with the "Sword of Damocles" hanging over it.
Indeed......!! If it wore a CBAF* con. number plate it would be restored to airworthy condition in a trice....!!!

* CBAF ==== Castle Bromwich Aeroplane Factory.

Planemike
23rd Feb 2023, 14:15
Its history . . . courtesy of Bryan R. Swopes

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/22-february-1925/

Thank you Fournier...... The very one.....!!!

VictorGolf
23rd Feb 2023, 15:51
Thanks RF5 and Planemike. Interesting that the gross weight is exactly the same as my GlosAirtourer at 1650 lbs. Two very different routes to the same answer.