PDA

View Full Version : L@ser

First_Principal
17th Feb 2023, 21:01
Fairly sure there was a discussion about this some years back, but I've not been able to locate it, and a search for the word 'l a s e r' (without the spaces), or l@ser on this sub-forum hasn't revealed anything, so ... could someone please explain/remind me why when I write the word l a s e r (without the spaces :rolleyes:!) it always displays 'l@ser' when posted?

Right now any logic for this escapes me, but I'm prepared to be persuaded.

Thanks.

IBJoel
17th Feb 2023, 21:09
I'm going to guess there was some kind of block "las er printer" spam. I'll check it out

IBJoel
17th Feb 2023, 21:12
laser test post
Looks OK to me?

edit test

Tocsin
17th Feb 2023, 21:28
ISTR it was to confuse the auto-advert feeds, so that l a s e r pointers (those used by miscreants to dazzle flight crew) were not advertised on PPRuNe...

Saab Dastard
17th Feb 2023, 22:06
ISTR it was to confuse the auto-advert feeds, so that l a s e r pointers (those used by miscreants to dazzle flight crew) were not advertised on PPRuNe...
^^^ This. It was important at one time, perhaps still is.

First_Principal
18th Feb 2023, 18:09
laser test post
Looks OK to me?

Agree, looks ok here as well. And, interestingly, I can type laser right now without it converting, not sure whether it'll remain the same upon post... let's find out.

Update: it converts to l@ser for me once I post the message. Back in edit mode and the word is back to how it should be.

It's possible there could be something weird with my system but, if so, not at my behest. Out of interest I'll trial it with a different browser and report back.

Further update: Just checked, I experience the same thing with Firefox (my preferred browser) and Chromium.

Thanks, FP.

Senior Pilot
18th Feb 2023, 18:58
IBJoel is an IB Admin so how he and I have circumvented the substitution is one of life’s mysteries 🦄

The block was put in due to flooding of PPRuNers adverts when ‘laser’ became an oft discussed topic many years ago. Is it still warranted? Probably.

First_Principal
19th Feb 2023, 02:14
Thanks all, yes that explanation now rings a bell ..

I hadn't used the word for some years, if ever, but did two or three times recently. The last alteration bugged me enough to turn up here and find out what was going on, I appreciate the attention from such an august group :-)

Cheers, FP.

Minnie Burner
20th Mar 2023, 13:04
I feel I must say thank you for this thread. There, I did.
I have always assumed that those who posted the L word with an @ were just a wunch of b@nkers.

radar101
21st Mar 2023, 19:58
laser test

seems OK to me