PDA

View Full Version : Chinook Directional Gyro

red284
14th Feb 2023, 16:30
Are there any techies on the forum who worked on these gyros? The gyro is labelled "C.L.11 Directional Gyro" made by AIS of Plymouth and listed as removed from a Chinook helicopter. It is in serviceable condition. I have removed the complete gyro assembly from its protective housing and mounted it on a custom frame so that this superb piece of precision electro mechanical engineering can be viewed working. Finding the pin outs or technical information is going to be a problem but as a starter could anyone confirm that the gyro motor is 115v 3 phase 400Hz? Any other info would be really helpful and appreciated.

G-ARZG
14th Feb 2023, 19:14
IIRC, CL11 Directional Gyro was made by Sperry Gyroscope, aka Bendix. AIS might have been the repair station.

red284
14th Feb 2023, 20:28
I just assumed it was made by AIS under license but a quick google shows the Sperry (Plymouth) organisation came under the BAE brand in the 1980`s and then AIS in 2007. AIS is now owned by the Raytheon Technologies Corporation (RTX). The label is an adhesive metal film type so if I peel it of its likely to show the original Sperry label.

G-ARZG
14th Feb 2023, 21:16
You have PM

sph33r
16th Mar 2023, 16:13
Its been 12 long years since I was near a Chinook, but I could look into it....you might wanna be careful when its powered, it does something like 30K RPM if I recall correctly when spinning...

red284
16th Mar 2023, 16:34
sph33r. Thanks for the reply. I have been lucky in finding the relevant AP information including the wiring diagram. I take your point about the high speed of the gyro so the plan is to encase it in a polycarbonate enclosure. At the moment I am currently sourcing an inverter type power supply which will take a while. I will be in touch later if I need any further info.

sph33r
29th Mar 2023, 15:50
surplus from a Huey should cover you..if you can source one.... of course a custom build with newer tech would be more pleasant....

Zar_1
21st Apr 2023, 09:25
Wow, a working gyro from a real aircraft... boy would I love to see it operate. With modern RLGs or MEMS gyros, you wouldn't even know if its powered on or not, cause it's all solid state.

If you need any sort of help with wiring/power/display/ practically anything else, I'd be really glad to help

All the best! :)