PDA

View Full Version : FAA piggyback license and multi-engine

enzino
10th Feb 2023, 08:17
I hold an EASA ATPL with an A320 type rating and a SEP class rating.

I understand ratings in the US are only ASEL and AMEL for land based aircraft, regardless of the type of propulsion. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I apply for a piggyback license, will I have the privileges to fly a multi engine piston aircraft?

awair
10th Feb 2023, 13:04
Possibly, is the closest answer.

Your NAA will send a verification letter to the FAA. The FAA will then send a corresponding letter to the FSDO of your choice. The ratings you are given will depend on the interpretation of your qualifications.

There may well be a restriction added to your license, as the 61.75 does not give you privileges that you never had (eg Night Rating).

Should you choose to complete the full ATP and Checkride on the A320, you will get ATP MEL A320. But no SEL!

For that it’s a complete new Instrument Checkride.

Good luck.

bafanguy
10th Feb 2023, 13:39
enzino,

Does your EASA ATPL allow you to fly a light twin over there under that licensing structure by virtue of the A320 rating ?

enzino
10th Feb 2023, 14:22
No, until I get my MEP renewed, which I am in the middle of doing.

My questions rose after I read 61.75.

Now the previous poster's message makes me rise another question: if I were to obtain a FAA ATP with an A320 shortened course, what would the process of adding single engine privileges entail? Is it also a different IR?

It would be nice to get an overview of the licensing system in the US. I haven't found explanation on the FAA handbooks and I am still not familiar with CFR 14.

awair
10th Feb 2023, 14:49
14 CFR 61…

Adding a Rating (except at the ATP level) is fairly painless.

To add ATP-SEL to MEL is a complete Checkride. Details can be found in the relevant ACS.

There is only one Instrument Rating (per Category). Instrument - Airplane, added to Private or Commercial, or inherent for the ATP.

awair
10th Feb 2023, 15:06
Enzino,

For your specific case: it seems you have an expired MEP.
Is this on the front of your license?

If so, you have valid MEL, but not current (in the FAA’s language). The verification letter should include this, and a 61.75 certificate should indicate all privileges (except Instrument) at the Private level.

You can add Instrument Airplane by passing a shortened FAA knowledge test. Do this before applying for your 61.75 certificate.

The FAA certificate is a proper license in its own respect, as long as your foreign license is not surrendered, suspended, revoked or expired.

You do not need to be current on your foreign license to use the FAA privileges. But you must have an FAA Flight Review (or equivalent Wings credit), a valid medical (FAA or foreign), and if carrying passengers 3 takeoff & landings in 90 days.

The Flight Review will include 1-hour of ground, that should concentrate on areas appropriate to your level (ie US procedures etc).

I suggest the ASA FAR/AIM app for iPhone & iPad, as well as the ASA apps for Instrument & Private. The former will prepare you for the Instrument for Foreign Pilots exam.

enzino
10th Feb 2023, 16:20
It is indeed expired. It isn't printed on my license but it is printed on the appendix to the license, which is a peculiarity of my specific NAA.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will note them down. Would you recommend any training organizations I could contact for the shortened FAA knowledge test?

rudestuff
10th Feb 2023, 17:26
If you've got an EASA licence, why the 61.75? There's a BASA for that now so you can get a full PPL/IR

enzino
10th Feb 2023, 17:32
Interesting, care to expand on that rudestuff ? Any link to gather more information? I don't even know what BASA stands for.

rudestuff
10th Feb 2023, 17:52
Just look up the Advisory Circular. It specifically answers your AMEL question.

enzino
10th Feb 2023, 18:23
Found it. I wasn't aware of this process. I will certainly look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

bafanguy
10th Feb 2023, 21:36
enzino,

In case anyone else wonders about the process rudestuff mentioned, here it is:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-143.pdf

rudestuff
11th Feb 2023, 05:22
I didn't want to make it too easy 🤣