PDA

View Full Version : Will This Stir Up The Pot Down There ?

bafanguy
9th Feb 2023, 21:15
This is a reverse of the "Aussies can work for US regionals" thing but I'm curious how this effort will be received (I'd guess not favorably) Down There:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/18028.html

Servo
9th Feb 2023, 21:44
More than what I was earning as a 19 year captain at Virgin Australia............

bafanguy
9th Feb 2023, 21:47
So this doesn't bother you when Aussie pilots are looking for work ?:

"Subclass 482 working visas have been secured for a once-in-a-lifetime chance to move to Australia and there is a path to permanent residency and citizenship after two years of service."

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 01:11
Hmm, $100k AUD for a Dash-8, that's pitiful, hopefully they don't include super contributions in that or it would be criminally low. Rex pays significantly more for SAAB drivers. Anyone with those hours would be a shoe in at any of the airlines with a choice of lifestyle, 6 weeks leave, from 4 (12) days off more a roster.

"Subclass 482 working visas have been secured for a once-in-a-lifetime chance to move to Australia and there is a path to permanent residency and citizenship after two years of service."

Considering overseas pilots can just apply straight to Qantas group, VA or Rex, why would you settle for such poor offerings.

SOPS
10th Feb 2023, 01:17
It says..$100000 after tax.

Icarus2001
10th Feb 2023, 01:18
$100,000 after tax, you did read that part?

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 01:24
$100,000 after tax, you did read that part?

Sorry did miss the after tax part. That's still $140k before tax, assuming they are paying the same tax as an Australian. Which is what a first year DEC SAAB captain will earn after allowances, and much more with callouts and other benefits. Really depends what's in the package after that. So I would still say that even after tax it's not a great lure.

Servo
10th Feb 2023, 01:51
It says..$100000 after tax.

Oops sorry, I didnt see that bit. Apologies.

chimbu warrior
10th Feb 2023, 02:08
Based on a comparison with what is on offer in the US, I doubt that there will be too many takers.

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 02:20
To put it another way $140k is basically what QLink Dash 8 and Rex SAAB pilots are on first year, however that is the minimum they would earn. Each year the QF/Rex will get annual rises, and year of service increases, so will leave that $140k figure in the dust in just a few years. Add to that call out payments that significantly increase your earnings, leave loading, LoL insurance, profit share and share gifts etc etc your earning potential is significantly higher, some could earn in excess of $200k per year, become a trainer or checker and that figure goes up significantly again. Unless of course there is something else hidden in that package that would add on significantly more over the term of the contract that is.

Based on a comparison with what is on offer in the US, I doubt that there will be too many takers.

And that would be the most significant point, with those hours in the US you could pick and choose jobs over there ATM.

Deano969
10th Feb 2023, 02:42

Not on a dollar for dollar
However for someone looking to get citizenship in Oz for whatever reason, this would be a good opportunity, do a couple of years out west then move on

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 05:13
If you want to live in Australia that bad apply to QF group or Rex. All hiring like mad on proper EBAs with secure work and a choice of baseings down the track. Again I would carefully look at the fine print on that contract.

Ladloy
10th Feb 2023, 05:26
If you want to live in Australia that bad apply to QF group or Rex. All hiring like mad on proper EBAs with secure work and a choice of baseings down the track. Again I would carefully look at the fine print on that contract.Proper EBAs and Rex? It's so good that the FO wage is just above minimum wage! Good luck surviving in a capital city

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 06:02
Proper EBAs and Rex? It's so good that the FO wage is just above minimum wage! Good luck surviving in a capital city

The conversation is about a DEC, which at Rex would be starting at $140k pa for a year 1 with basic allowances.

Year 1 FO would start around $90-$95k now with basic allowances. Although at the moment you could probably add significantly more with casual work. By basic allowance I mean 8 RDO rosters, average DTA, leave loading etc..., there is also profit share and share gift above that. All increasing by service years and assumed 4% pa for at least the next few years. Its not the best offer, but its definitely not minimum wage. If you agree to $140 k today with no CPI adjustments you will be on less than a Rex FO in a few years time, inflation is not going to abate anytime soon.

tossbag
10th Feb 2023, 06:15
bafanguy, hardly, the unions are weak in Australia. Nothing like the US.

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 06:18
bafanguy, hardly, the unions are weak in Australia. Nothing like the US.

The biggest problem in the US is competition and constant chapter 11s forcing wage stagnation. Right now its the opposite. USA the unions are strong, but competition is rife, so you can get so far and then your company gets white anted. In Australia the libs have made unions seem like evil communists that are bad for everything, when they are the only method for workers to get what they need/want.

And if you don't think USA pilot unions are not strong, look up things like scope clauses. In Australia QF can just buy subsidiaries and play them off against each other, in the US the union forces the company to sign non competitive deals so that the smaller operators can't white ant the bigger ones T&Cs. Ie small commuters like Comair were restricted to RJs and less than 74 seats so that they can't be used as cheap labor on larger aircraft. In fact the union clauses were so strong aircraft were designed specifically to fill those roles, hence the 70 seat TPs and RJs.

Switchbait
10th Feb 2023, 06:52
The conversation is about a DEC, which at Rex would be starting at $140k pa for a year 1 with basic allowances.

Year 1 FO would start around $90-$95k now with basic allowances. Although at the moment you could probably add significantly more with casual work. By basic allowance I mean 8 RDO rosters, average DTA, leave loading etc..., there is also profit share and share gift above that. All increasing by service years and assumed 4% pa for at least the next few years. Its not the best offer, but its definitely not minimum wage. If you agree to $140 k today with no CPI adjustments you will be on less than a Rex FO in a few years time, inflation is not going to abate anytime soon.

SAAB Captain Year 1 is $98449.

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 07:00
SAAB Captain Year 1 is $98449.

Yep plus 13% for rdo buyback and $30k in dta, added leave loading and other extras. As I said it really depends on what extra they add to that deal. As the basic rex additions add up to $140k before you do much extra. Then on top of that each year you will get cpi adjustments and years of service increments. So in a few years you will be way better off.

To explain the RDO situation the latest EBA had them gain two days off for 10 in total, but the company can buy them back at 1% per roster pre assigned. As you might imagine it might be a while before any crew see the 10 days as actual rosters. So with 13 roster periods a year you will see a 13% increase in base, I say base as super contributions are added on top of that.

With the add just focusing on a salary with 6 weeks leave it makes me think there is no more to the contract, no significant allowances etc. Which then seems dud when compared to the competition.

Again not saying the Rex deal is something awesome, just that on balance its offering better for smaller aircraft.

Eclan
10th Feb 2023, 07:28
The people they will get are not welcome to the US under that visa system. For those people it'll be a great lure.

Eclan
10th Feb 2023, 07:29
So this doesn't bother you when Aussie pilots are looking for work ?:

If you're looking to reel in a rant I can probably help you out.

Climb150
10th Feb 2023, 07:34
This may interest a few Canadians from Porter and WestJet or some SpiceJet peeps in India. I can't see a flood of people coming.

I do like the lie in the ad about 45yo being the age limit for the visa. Glad it's an honest agency doing the job!

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 07:39
I mentioned Rex earlier, but for those with Dash 8 experience why not QLink, they are struggling for crew as well. QF group benefits and similar income to what I described for Rex. I mean to be competitive with both those regionals you will need to add at least another $20k and some CPI adjustments. So while it sounds ok, its just not up to speed with what others are already offering as well as confining you to Perth. Nothing against whoever is offering this, but hey, its a different world for crew now.

Cravenmorehead
10th Feb 2023, 08:43
I think you will find that this is for National Jet Express and Rex own that company now.

Global Aviator
10th Feb 2023, 09:39
The point is that this is targeting countries that don’t have the same living conditions as Straya.

The money might not be the best but the perceived QAL is.

You and I know that living on this amount in Straya does not equal QAL, however someone from places with civil unrest etc this would be the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope I’m wrong but I reckon there will be a steady stream of applicants.

At least in the US of A it’s the same money as locals (ok you could argue locals could take the job here). From what I see the US of A operators are not using E3’s to drive wages down overall, it is a genuine shortage of qualified pilots.

This visa looks like a direct attempt by companies to keep wages down and drive them lower, shame, shame shame…..

Qwark
10th Feb 2023, 09:44
This may interest a few Canadians from Porter and WestJet or some SpiceJet peeps in India. I can't see a flood of people coming.

I do like the lie in the ad about 45yo being the age limit for the visa. Glad it's an honest agency doing the job!

The VISA process is complicated, however I believe the pathway to residency has an age limit of 45 ( what was advertised) There are other pathways with no age limit however no residency at the end.

ps. I have no connection with the agency or employer. I think its safe to say most would only need two guesses as to who the operator is.

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 09:56
I think you will find that this is for National Jet Express and Rex own that company now.

NJE operate 400s not 100/300 however who knows.

Skippers or Maroomba operate those.

bafanguy
10th Feb 2023, 11:01
If you're looking to reel in a rant...

Not at all...just curious. :)

Climb150
10th Feb 2023, 12:18
Qwark,

The agency ad said the visa is limited to age 45. It didn't say anything about residency. Here is a quote from a lawyer page.
TSS 482 Visa To PR | Age RequirementsThere is no age limit for the 482 Visa. This is an important fact of the 482 Visa and is also one of the major advantages of this visa. 

There are age limits for most of the other Skilled visa, including the following:

RSMS 187 – Age limit 45 years old (with very limited exceptions)
ENS 186 – Age limit 45 years old (with very limited exceptions)
GSM 489, 189 and 190 -– Age limit 45 years old

tiger-palm
10th Feb 2023, 17:17
Qwark,

The agency ad said the visa is limited to age 45. It didn't say anything about residency. Here is a quote from a lawyer page.TSS 482 Visa To PR | Age RequirementsThere is no age limit for the 482 Visa. This is an important fact of the 482 Visa and is also one of the major advantages of this visa. 

There are age limits for most of the other Skilled visa, including the following:

RSMS 187 – Age limit 45 years old (with very limited exceptions)
ENS 186 – Age limit 45 years old (with very limited exceptions)
GSM 489, 189 and 190 -– Age limit 45 years old

There is still the licence conversion and medical … CASA are not the easiest to deal with… allow many months for this process.

chookcooker
10th Feb 2023, 20:30
More than what I was earning as a 19 year captain at Virgin Australia............

rubbish

bafanguy
10th Feb 2023, 21:41
There is still the licence conversion and medical … CASA are not the easiest to deal with… allow many months for this process.

I'd think that's a major hurdle to people taking up this offer. Unless, they get a delay in getting licenses converted to match the time frame of the visa... and get a temporary license validation ?

Is there such a thing Down There ?

43Inches
10th Feb 2023, 21:50
Pretty sure you just get a CASA medical, apply for recognition of your licence and the entry to the companies cyclic training program simexs and IPC will cover any conversion requirements. That is for relatively normal conversions from UK/JAA or FAA, if you have a Nigerian licence or ex Congolese airforce who knows, best to ask CASA about that. It's probably a lot harder outside of a commercial operation.

Duck Pilot
11th Feb 2023, 02:52
I know of at least 2 regional airlines who have recently hired experienced foreign nationals and they weren’t kiwis without too many problems, both on jets and turboprops.

All the pilots come with experience on the respective types.

I personally think it’s good 😊

Servo
11th Feb 2023, 05:55
rubbish
I did miss the before tax statement in the advertisement/reference. It does quote monthly.

VA flight crew received a 17% pay cut. On minimum hours I was taking home $5200 per fortnight or $10,400 per month, hence my original post.

Thank you for your insightful post and word count.

chookcooker
11th Feb 2023, 07:35
I did miss the before tax statement in the advertisement/reference. It does quote monthly.

VA flight crew received a 17% pay cut. On minimum hours I was taking home $5200 per fortnight or $10,400 per month, hence my original post.

Thank you for your insightful post and word count.

you do realise that $5200/fortnight isn’t $10,400 a month yeah?

Servo
11th Feb 2023, 09:33
you do realise that $5200/fortnight isn’t $10,400 a month yeah?

Ok there is 2.17 fortnights per month. $5,200 x 2.17 = $11,284 in the hand per month. So more than the figure in the ad, which I incorrectly thought was take home. Sorry.