PDA

View Full Version : COVID? What COVID?

India Four Two
9th Feb 2023, 04:04
Since November, I’ve flown from Canada to Vietnam and then made three return trips from Saigon to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.

All the airports I have transited have been extremely busy, mostly busier than pre-COVID. As a consequence, the airport experiences have been unpleasant.

For my most recent flight, BKK-SGN, it took over an hour from joining the checkin line to reaching airside. Then of course, there was a 15 minute walk through an upmarket shopping mall to the gate, with only one 50 m long travelator.

The process wasn’t helped by closed security channels and over 50% of the Passport Control booths being closed.

I’m looking at you, Airports of Thailand!

PS It’s quite a few years since I flew to Thailand and I had forgotten what an awful airport Suvaranabhumi is. In my opinion, it must be high on the list of modern, poorly designed airports.

Asturias56
9th Feb 2023, 08:15
I'm afraid I42's experience is quite common - of all the jobs left unfilled post Covid it's the ones in airports that seem the hardest to fill - baggage, security, passports etc. Clearly they are seen as rotten jobs and people only take them when there is no alternative. It's the same all over the world.

ATNotts
9th Feb 2023, 08:38
I'm afraid I42's experience is quite common - of all the jobs left unfilled post Covid it's the ones in airports that seem the hardest to fill - baggage, security, passports etc. Clearly they are seen as rotten jobs and people only take them when there is no alternative. It's the same all over the world.

Those and the care sector, road haulage and hospitality are other examples, all of which are perceived as demanding in terms of working hours and conditions whilst be undervalued from a pay standpoint. So far as airports are concerned the public were offered and lapped low fares, but of course that simply leads to there being too little in the pot to pay people what they deserve to do the jobs. Would the average passenger be happy to pay 25% more on the ticket to allow airports and handling agents to attract more staff? I doubt it, in the same way that people want improved public services yet rail at the idea of paying higher taxes to get them.

nimrodel
9th Feb 2023, 11:32
Anyone tried Auckland recently?

Travelled from Scotland via Dubai and melbourne - no problems on departure or transits. One of first off plane in AKL, waited at least 90 mins for bags. People at carouel were missing connection.

Finally got to 'Immigration'. Enormous queues, Just over an hour to get through. Just time to check in wit ANZ and get to domestic terminal. Just as well I left plenty of time in my planning for this sort of thing.

ps, ANZ managed to lose my case between AKL and Hawkes Bay. Finally turned up the following afternoon!

SWBKCB
9th Feb 2023, 12:21
Baggage handling might have been impacted by the recent flooding?

HOVIS
9th Feb 2023, 13:10
Those and the care sector, road haulage and hospitality are other examples, all of which are perceived as demanding in terms of working hours and conditions whilst be undervalued from a pay standpoint. So far as airports are concerned the public were offered and lapped low fares, but of course that simply leads to there being too little in the pot to pay people what they deserve to do the jobs. Would the average passenger be happy to pay 25% more on the ticket to allow airports and handling agents to attract more staff? I doubt it, in the same way that people want improved public services yet rail at the idea of paying higher taxes to get them.
Jet2 in the UK have taken all of their ground handling in-house. They pay their staff well. Their fares are significantly higher than their rivals. Currently doing very well.

The96er
9th Feb 2023, 13:40
Jet2 in the UK have taken all of their ground handling in-house. They pay their staff well. Their fares are significantly higher than their rivals. Currently doing very well.

Jet2 also provide the equipment and resources the likes of which employees of other unnamed handling agents can only dream of. The way it should be.

ATNotts
9th Feb 2023, 13:42
I rest my case!

nimrodel
9th Feb 2023, 14:18
Sorry, should have said, my AKL trip was mid-November

ZFT
9th Feb 2023, 22:12
Since November, I’ve flown from Canada to Vietnam and then made three return trips from Saigon to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.

All the airports I have transited have been extremely busy, mostly busier than pre-COVID. As a consequence, the airport experiences have been unpleasant.

For my most recent flight, BKK-SGN, it took over an hour from joining the checkin line to reaching airside. Then of course, there was a 15 minute walk through an upmarket shopping mall to the gate, with only one 50 m long travelator.

The process wasn’t helped by closed security channels and over 50% of the Passport Control booths being closed.

I’m looking at you, Airports of Thailand!

PS It’s quite a few years since I flew to Thailand and I had forgotten what an awful airport Suvaranabhumi is. In my opinion, it must be high on the list of modern, poorly designed airports.

In the same timeframe I've been in and out a few times with a totally different experience. No issues with immigration, aecurity or baggage delivery.
I was surprised just how many immigration booths were open each time.
The walks are no different to any modern airport unfortunately and at least they are in a straight line unlike many airports where you are forced to zigzag through so called duty free.

Asturias56
10th Feb 2023, 08:45
The biggest death march last year was airside in T2 at Changi - I think its 2 km from one end to the other and very limited travellator service