PDA

View Full Version : Falklands - 3rd route blocked?

Asturias56
5th Feb 2023, 07:45
https://onemileatatime.com/news/argentina-blocks-falkland-islands-flights/

Sounds like Argentina is playing up on the restart of the LATAM flight from Brazil

LTNman
5th Feb 2023, 10:52
They lost an unjustified war and have never got over it.

Asturias56
5th Feb 2023, 16:32
Can't see the problem with allowing an Argentinean airline in the FI - you don't HAVE to book tickets on it

davidjohnson6
5th Feb 2023, 16:36
Can't see the problem with allowing an Argentinean airline in the FI - you don't HAVE to book tickets on it
It's still a strategic security risk

Asturias56
6th Feb 2023, 08:12
What? A single incoming A 320 once a week?

There are around 1300 British troops at Mt Pleasant - surely enough? And if they crashed into the runway a big bulldozer is on hand

In fact t would give them all something to do rather than their occasional habit of enforcing idiot "security" measures on the locals all of whom are known to everyone on the Islands

ATNotts
6th Feb 2023, 08:28
They lost an unjustified war and have never got over it.

Notwithstanding that most wars are unjustified, I can think of another country that still "hasn't got over it" though in that case it is winning against the same opponent twice!

The Falklands invasion was 40 years ago, the government in Argentina has changed on several occasions since then, and the military is no longer hold of the reins of power what is the justification for refusing an Argentine airline traffic rights. For pities sake some inbound tourism and the revenue from it might actually relieve the burden on the UK tax payer of keeping a few thousand residents and sheep in the manner to which they are accustomed, not forgetting the humanitarian aspect; the relatives of Argentine servicemen may welcome the opportunity to visit the places where their loved ones fell.

CandyBender
6th Feb 2023, 08:38
Notwithstanding that most wars are unjustified, I can think of another country that still "hasn't got over it" though in that case it is winning against the same opponent twice!

The Falklands invasion was 40 years ago, the government in Argentina has changed on several occasions since then, and the military is no longer hold of the reins of power what is the justification for refusing an Argentine airline traffic rights. For pities sake some inbound tourism and the revenue from it might actually relieve the burden on the UK tax payer of keeping a few thousand residents and sheep in the manner to which they are accustomed, not forgetting the humanitarian aspect; the relatives of Argentine servicemen may welcome the opportunity to visit the places where their loved ones fell.

Access to Argentine veterans & families is not restricted - the current LATAM flight stops in Argentina periodically. Charter flights from Argentine are also allowed. The tourism infrastructure is nowhere near developed enough to be able to accept vast numbers of visitors with the current model of cruise ship visitors & limited land based tourism being sufficient for the islanders current needs.

ATNotts
6th Feb 2023, 08:45
Access to Argentine veterans & families is not restricted - the current LATAM flight stops in Argentina periodically. Charter flights from Argentine are also allowed. The tourism infrastructure is nowhere near developed enough to be able to accept vast numbers of visitors with the current model of cruise ship visitors & limited land based tourism.

The tourism industry won't develop unless and until the islands are opened up to their nearest geographical neighbour, no-one is going to open up a boutique hotel or decent restaurant in downtown Stanley without the guarantee of tourists to fill their beds and tables - and I can't see TUI suddenly chucking a weekly 787 from Gatwick anytime soon!

Asturias56
6th Feb 2023, 10:42
I'm with ATN on the fact the war was 40 years ago - not asking anyone to forget but knee jerk reactions on both sides don't help

the biggest problem of adding more tourists to the FI is the lack of staff available. They used to be dependent on people from the other S Atlantic UK islands now it's Chile (mainly peopel from the southern end ) & the Philippines but the numbers are limited by the climate and remoteness.

I can't see a purely Argentinean service ever making money but that is probably not an issue .

Asturias56
6th Feb 2023, 10:45
" the current LATAM flight stops in Argentina periodically"

about every other flight pre Covid - and it's mainly used by fishing crew as far as I've seen - not a lot of war related travelers. You're not allowed off in Rio Gallegos during the stop but then it doesn't look like one of the World's great destinations

Andy_S
6th Feb 2023, 11:50

The Falklands invasion was 40 years ago, the government in Argentina has changed on several occasions since then, and the military is no longer hold of the reins of power what is the justification for refusing an Argentine airline traffic rights.

I suppose there's a case for saying that being magnanimous sends a signal to the Argentinian government that they will accomplish more by co-operation than by sabre rattling.

Asturias56
7th Feb 2023, 08:21
I think a long period of silence on both sides would help - like 20 years. But as with Brexit in the UK there are always politicians in BA who see it as an easy way of getting support.

Not that anyone has ever found any normal Argentineans who are actually interested in moving to the the FI..................

Coochycool
7th Feb 2023, 23:51
" the current LATAM flight stops in Argentina periodically"

about every other flight pre Covid - and it's mainly used by fishing crew as far as I've seen - not a lot of war related travelers. You're not allowed off in Rio Gallegos during the stop but then it doesn't look like one of the World's great destinations

Once a month in fact. As part of the minimum service obligation brokered in 1991 if I recall correctly.

You can get off if thats your final destination. As it was in my case once. It serves a function in being the cheapest way off-island if nowt else.

But yup, you wouldnt really want to holiday there....

Asturias56
8th Feb 2023, 08:16
I thought, having looked out on the ground and on take-off and landing, there'd be a queue round the block to get out of Rio Gallegos but it seems the locals seem happy there ;)