PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Cabin Crew and Pilots Banned From Posting Photos of Themselves

JetLagedBird
2nd Feb 2023, 09:27
Pilots, cabin crew, and other employees fear that British Airways' new social media policies effectively forbid them from uploading pictures of themselves on popular social networking sites like Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter when they are dressed professionally.

To red the full article ==> Click here (https://www.supercoloring.com/coloring-pages/transport/airplanes)

richpea
2nd Feb 2023, 10:08
The article seems to suggest more that they are not to take photos when they should be working, or are in safety critical phases of flight or parts of the aircraft. It didn't mention anything saying "photos in uniform are forbidden" (although I haven't seen the policy itself). It seems to me like a reasonably fair set of demands.

pax britanica
2nd Feb 2023, 10:36
Havent BA got bigger problems? Shortage of Engineers, hopeless IT system, shortage of LHR ground staff, hardly stella onboard product etc etc but I suppose it gives 'human resources' something to do

ve3id
2nd Feb 2023, 11:29
Havent BA got bigger problems? Shortage of Engineers, hopeless IT system, shortage of LHR ground staff, hardly stella onboard product etc etc but I suppose it gives 'human resources' something to do

Perhaps they could save money by firing the people employed to dress the crews? Surely they are big enough to dress themselves?

9 lives
2nd Feb 2023, 11:41
Who's uniform is it? If BA owns the uniform, they have every right to permit or forbid how it is presented in public by their paid employees. The uniform, and the inside (and outside) of the aeroplane are BA's property, and a part of their corporate image. They have every right to protect it from a presentation they do not approve nor accept.

VHOED191006
2nd Feb 2023, 12:47
I think the big issue is that this policy is now preventing the general public from being given an insight into what happens behind the flight deck door. From what I see, mainly on Twitter, is that all of the BA pilots take photos at appropriate times, and never at safety-critical times. To me, it seems silly to do this as they've also cut themselves off to a form of free marketing & PR.

SWBKCB
2nd Feb 2023, 13:03
Many businesses have policies banning photos in the workplace being published. I know of one person being sacked - their innocent picture revelaled the location of security cameras in an office.;

USERNAME_
2nd Feb 2023, 13:07
Respectfully, the article is incorrect. The new social media policy does not prevent crew from posting photos. It prevents crew from revealing sensitive information, such as rosters, layover hotels and abnormal down route procedures in certain destinations. Additionally, it is to prevent Instagram and Tik Tok trends, such as dances and whatnot, from distracting crew from their duties during turnarounds, during cruise, and in public places while wearing uniform. It does not prevent an innocent, smart picture in uniform.

WildRover
2nd Feb 2023, 13:33
Sensible policy.

Sue Vêtements
2nd Feb 2023, 14:48
I'm not sure why anyone would want to upload "pictures of themselves on popular social networking sites like Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter"

Atlantic Explorer
2nd Feb 2023, 16:12
I'm not sure why anyone would want to upload "pictures of themselves on popular social networking sites like Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter"

Well there’s no shortage of Pilots I see posting on all forms of social media with the obligatory Raybans always at hand in some nauseating and cringy pose. I’m not surprised this policy has been introduced.

I don’t wish to generalise, but it seems to be the younger generation that’s most guilty.

1DC
2nd Feb 2023, 16:58
They just want the people in the back to forget that anything goes on on the other side of the door. Then when they eventually install the monkey and the banana nobody will be curious!

HOVIS
2nd Feb 2023, 17:01
Simple answer. Money. If the account gets millions of hits, advertisers take notice.

ethicalconundrum
2nd Feb 2023, 17:08
I have zero generic social media. Couple flying and car and weapons forums. Two philosophy forums. No myspace, twit, FB, insta, linkin, etc. From that perspective, I completely agree with the ban when "professionally engaged" in their job for BA. Some cabin crew from other airlines seem to become obssessed with their phones and PDAs. I've seen cabin crew sitting in the galley, on their phones uploading, downloading, chatting, posting, and sharing while they are supposed to be working. Enough. I don't think it's asking too much that one work during their work shift and that does not include social media.

edetroit
2nd Feb 2023, 18:31
Last time I flew BA (last Christmas to Barbados). On disembarking the FA was too busy trawling her "insta" to say goodbye to us. That is appalling service in my book.
Mind you I see that everywhere these days.

Mr Mac
2nd Feb 2023, 19:52
BA long dropped of the World’s Favourite Airline pedestal if indeed it was ever on it this century for me. I personally have had appalling service from them living in the North, so have voted with my cheque book, and indeed feet. The only time I fly with them now is when someone else is paying.
As for photos it is what a generation do, however we as a company ban social media comments on our work. We have a very open policy’s ,so if negative we want to know about it, but not on social media. If good, we pay a company to do that. Hence you spend time talking to your staff reporting to you, and drill down to make sure people are as happy as can be, we all may want to be on a beach but expectations have to be realistic !

Cheers
Mr Mac

Bindair Dundat
2nd Feb 2023, 20:55
Sensible policy.
Agreed and everyone should follow suit. Put down the phone and do your job you narcissistic muppets. Ban Tik Tok outright, everywhere. It’s turning young peoples grey matter to mush. China knows this.

PPRuNeUser0178
2nd Feb 2023, 21:36
How awful, BA pilots won’t be able to tell anyone via Fakebook they are BA pilots 🤦‍♂️

speedrestriction
2nd Feb 2023, 21:51
Well there’s no shortage of Pilots I see posting on all forms of social media with the obligatory Raybans always at hand in some nauseating and cringy pose. I’m not surprised this policy has been introduced.

I don’t wish to generalise, but it seems to be the younger generation that’s most guilty.

We have spent the best part of half a century of professional aviation trying to remove ego from the flight deck. I see this selfie culture as the antithetical to that process. Stop with the selfies kids and get on with your f**king job!

iggy
3rd Feb 2023, 04:17
Agree with the policy, they should post their pics naked... :8

wiggy
3rd Feb 2023, 06:24

FWIW not that long ago (well, maybe half a decade) BA were quite keen on cultivating a small, officially approved cadre of influencers who were even exempted from some of the restrictions on taking images that were suddenly imposed on the rank and file...that group contained one or two quite senior Rayban users who weren't exactly fresh out of the box.

I wonder if that group still exists or if they've been clobbered by these rules?

hans brinker
3rd Feb 2023, 07:02
"tell me you're old, without telling me you're old".
Yeah, all the young people are posting on insta, snap, tiktok, aso constantly. You know who else is on their phones constantly? Everyone else.

Busdriver01
3rd Feb 2023, 08:38
Here's a thought for the rayban bashers - you did things when you first joined that the senior lot of the day despised. I'm quite sure of it.

(I'm not on social media, i despise it, and I agree people are too obsessed with it, but I do think a little perspective is required rather than assuming it's always just the younger generation at fault)

FlightDetent
3rd Feb 2023, 15:39
I don’t wish to generalise, but it seems to be the younger generation that’s most guilty.Imagine if the older generation had similar means of self-affirmation available. And then (well, before) was the misoriented 767 CP...

Dunhovrin
3rd Feb 2023, 17:29
Here's a thought for the rayban bashers - you did things when you first joined that the senior lot of the day despised. I'm quite sure of it.

(I'm not on social media, i despise it, and I agree people are too obsessed with it, but I do think a little perspective is required rather than assuming it's always just the younger generation at fault)
Yeah, but they were miserable old coffin dodgers full of sh*t, whereas now I have many pearls of wisdom to share with those under-appreciative whippersnappers..

Busdriver01
3rd Feb 2023, 17:33
Yeah, but they were miserable old coffin dodgers full of sh*t, whereas now I have many pearls of wisdom to share with those under-appreciative whippersnappers..
🤣🤣 Ah of course..!

ETOPS
4th Feb 2023, 08:49
I still have my BA issued Raybans from 1987 in mint condition ;)

kikatinalong
4th Feb 2023, 10:56
Its not only BA that has this policy. Another UK airline in Yorkshire has something very similar. All about protecting the brand.

hargreaves99
4th Feb 2023, 14:03
One of the main reasons young people want to be airline pilots is to post stuff on social media.

4th Feb 2023, 15:22
If it’s to stop all those ‘Insta-morons’…go for it! 👍🏽

Magplug
4th Feb 2023, 22:07
At BA we have a room full of 'SM executives' on one side and some highly paid PR gurus on the other. Their role is to jump on potentially embarrasing stories that emerge on the two different media. Taking control of the PR narrative at the earliest stage is key to limiting brand damage that arises out of yet another company self-inflicted ****up.

If you have your own employees lifting the wraps on what may be the real world embarrasing truth, those attempting to control the narrative become redundant.

There becomes no point in retaining those highly paid SM & PR gurus!

Gordomac
5th Feb 2023, 09:33
Yes but whatabout photos of pilots dressed as Hosties and hosties dressed as pilots, in the hotel pool. Happened all the time in my piloting career.

White Knight
5th Feb 2023, 16:29
Its not only BA that has this policy. Another UK airline in Yorkshire has something very similar. All about protecting the brand.

Yorkshire Airlines? Thanks for bringing this pre-IG classic up👍🏻

https://youtu.be/xOeDM3FSnpI