PDA

View Full Version : Navigator

vasquez
29th Aug 2002, 14:46
Hello everyone.

I'm interested in becoming a navigator, however, my eyes aren't the best and I wear contacts. Will this cause a problem?

Also, as I'm going for navigator will I have do to any other/extra tests at the OASC?

Thanks,

Jon

metalfatigue
29th Aug 2002, 22:27
Well, 2 out of three aint bad. Now if you can just remember where you left you're ar$e....:D

bakseetblatherer
30th Aug 2002, 04:54
Sorry but you cannot get in as aircrew with contacts/specs/blindness, unless it is a very, very weak prescription (less than about -0.25). Once you are in you can go as blind as a bat (like me):(
edited for grammar

Stonca
30th Aug 2002, 08:23
I failed the eyesight for Pilot but passed it for Nav.

Why don't you phone OASC and get them to tell you? Ask to speak to the medical department.

Or just go through the selection and hope for the best.

Best advice I could give is get a good nights sleep and revise lots of speed/distance/time stuff! And don't worry too much about it.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck mate!

I'm hopefully becoming a Nav after uni!

Have you obtained an RAF Flying Scholarship yet?

vasquez
30th Aug 2002, 09:00
Hello mate.

I've already graduated from Uni with a Computing degree and am working but am after a career change. Do you think that this will make it harder for me to get in?

Jon

Stonca
30th Aug 2002, 09:09
Yes there are age restrictions on the flying scholarship so yes that might be too late!

If if remember correct I think the upper age limit for Nav/Wso is 26.

To answer your question from the first post, everyone does the same tests at OASC. However, some pass all, some only pass nav, some only pass pilot etc. etc.

I don't know how new to this game you are but I wouldn't go listening to people who tell you won't make the selection. Half the stuff I've been told in the past has been a load of crap!

Just go down the careers office, sign the application form and who knows 6 months time you maybe be starting IOT.

What have you got to lose?

vasquez
30th Aug 2002, 13:54
I'm only 23 so the age limits shouldn't be a problem. Also, what was the second post all about - or am I missing something?

The mother alligator
30th Aug 2002, 17:09
V, I can confirm having done the tests that you all do the same. They aren't too hard, however you cannot practice the Speed Distance Time enough, not just for the aptitudes, more importantly, part 2, which is where I messed up. Oh well, Next year hey?! Good luck, you could try and take the eye tests anyway, you might get lucky. Good luck in whatever the decision, TMA