PDA

View Full Version : Best European Licensing Authority to Work With? (Spain sucks)

kitfox446
1st Feb 2023, 09:51
Hi all, I began some flight training in Spain, and thus that’s where I’m currently licensed in Europe.

However, AESA (the Spanish licensing authority) is a mess. They’ve lost the paperwork for two ratings and a glider license, yet pocketed the fees I’ve paid. They don’t answer the phone. They don’t answer emails. There has been zero communication and there’s no accountability. Reportedly they even refuse FAA requests made outside of a narrow range of days each month but offer no explanation why. It’s ridiculously unprofessional.

I’m considering moving my license to another country in Europe as I’m getting sick of dealing with AESA. Can anyone advise a better national authority, the experiences you’ve had, etc.? I’ve heard Austrocontrol is popular, Ireland as well, but I’d like to hear some first-hand experiences. Thanks!

Denti
1st Feb 2023, 21:01
Just did the transfer from Germany to Austria, speaking the language certainly helped, but the process, while professional, was rather long, took me a full year and Austrocontrol charged me well over €2k for the pleasure.

Spruill7716
2nd Feb 2023, 02:21
Austria, Ireland, and the Netherlands seem to be the most favorable amongst everyone I've met. I'd imagine the biggest factors would be the fees, the ease of communication, the speed of their work, and their universal acceptance. All 3 of these do a good job at this.

mattpilot
2nd Feb 2023, 07:09
Everyone keeps telling me Austria is the best.

@Denti - while doing my medical in austria, the Doc told me the problem lies with germany being difficult and in one particular case he worked with it took over a year for germany to release/transfer the medical. Curious though what costs you incurred and for what specifically

Arrow Flyer
2nd Feb 2023, 09:58
I've got an Irish licence and find the IAA pretty good. Malta TM-CAD is also popular.

paco
2nd Feb 2023, 17:15
The IAA tel me they are a caring, sharing Authority, and from my dealings with them I can only agree

Balearic Helicopters
2nd Feb 2023, 20:30
I deal quite a bit with AESA, are you registered on their online Sede Electrónica account?

It's a frustrating system as everything needs to be logged and uploaded and given a specific reference number. They will reply through the system (you receive email notification to access and check), to reply you then need to log on etc. Although I've found emailing the correct person giving the reference number helps speed things up!

And yes, they don't reply to emails (except to say load it on the Sede Electrónica..) or phone (load it on the Sede Electrónica...)

Although, technically you can still deal with AESA by good old fashioned registered post..

They can be a bit barmy though (but with my dealings with most EASA states this isn't unusual.). On a recent UK to EASA conversion we sent in the AESA forms completed the Spanish version, they rejected the application as the wanted the AESA forms completed in the English version... Once resent licence issued the next day.

Good luck

kitfox446
3rd Feb 2023, 20:00
I deal quite a bit with AESA, are you registered on their online Sede Electrónica account?

Indeed I am. The problem is that, with one exception, I was never provided with the ID number they want me to quote from the resguardo de admision. Generally I never receive any proof of receipt from them (although I know from the Correos tracking numbers that they did receive the paperwork).

Why they can’t simply look up my requests using my NIE or license number, I don’t understand. It’s an incredibly frustrating system.

appfo09
4th Feb 2023, 19:00
Austro Control or Ireland. The most popular nowadays. Although quite expensive. They charge a good sum for each paper you ask for. But you get what you pay for!!

richpea
7th Feb 2023, 10:32
Austrocontrol have been great with me, a bit on the more expensive side but you actually seem to get speed and service that matches the price, which cannot be said for a lot of other authorities!

I've just had to switch to Ireland, also expensive, slower and less responsive to enquiry than Austro thus far, but way way way better than the UK CAA! ;)

enzino
7th Feb 2023, 11:42
Austrocontrol is very efficient, but at a high price. Ireland processing times have not picked up since Covid. The Maltese CAA is straight forward.

Definitely avoid Belgium, they are the most difficult authority to work with in my experience. I moved my license to Italy (being Italian) since I have an ENAC office next to my crew room at my base and I haven't been any happier.

Horses for courses.

BONES_
22nd Jun 2023, 12:18
Hi all,

Other than the Sede Eletrónica, phone number and email on website their ([email protected]), is there another way of contacting them?

I tried all possible ways with no success - I’ve been waiting for 3 months for my licence and all I get is the “standard” email of high workload etc.

Is it wise perhaps to contact the head of licensing department?

Regards

kitfox446
23rd Jun 2023, 05:00
Hi Bones, if you’re able to travel to Madrid, I would strongly advise going to their office in person and asking if they are missing something.

I had a rating that was approaching the 6-month deadline, with no success in getting any feedback and no response via the standard channels. Since I happened to be in Madrid, I went to their office.

When I arrived, they initially claimed the rating had already been issued and the case was closed. But since the rating was not on the license, they checked again and it turned out they had lost the examiner’s documentation, but never told me they needed anything, and then closed the case in error. Total incompetence.

But being there in person apparently pressured them to do something about the problem. A few weeks later it was finally issued, over 7 months after the initial submission!

We are now preparing to do the same thing again for another rating, since the instructor lives in Madrid. Sadly, the Spanish government sometimes feels more like that of a banana republic than a developed country. Good luck!

Hi all,

Other than the Sede Eletrónica, phone number and email on website their ([email protected]), is there another way of contacting them?

I tried all possible ways with no success - I’ve been waiting for 3 months for my licence and all I get is the “standard” email of high workload etc.

Is it wise perhaps to contact the head of licensing department?

Regards

Speed_Trim_Fail
23rd Jun 2023, 10:03
Malta are old fashioned but I’ve only ever had good experiences with them personally; just make sure you post forms with proof of postage!

BONES_
23rd Jun 2023, 13:45
Hello kitfox,

thank you for your reply. Not very encouraging to be honest… good idea, I’ll try to go to Madrid and see from there.

cheers

boing797
24th Jul 2023, 17:23
Hi all, I recently spoke to a friend who finished integrated training. He said that he waited about 7 months to receive his license. I was a little surprised to hear that it took that long. He lives in one country, studied in a second country, and received his license from a third country. Is it normal to wait that long after graduation, or is it dependent on the licensing authority, as mentioned in this thread? Can you share any advice on the best way to receive your license shortly after graduating? Thanks!

kitfox446
24th Jul 2023, 18:37
Hi all, I recently spoke to a friend who finished integrated training. He said that he waited about 7 months to receive his license. I was a little surprised to hear that it took that long. He lives in one country, studied in a second country, and received his license from a third country. Is it normal to wait that long after graduation, or is it dependent on the licensing authority, as mentioned in this thread? Can you share any advice on the best way to receive your license shortly after graduating? Thanks!

Is your friend based in Spain? If so, this sadly mirrors my experience here, at least when dealing with foreign ATOs, DTOs, examiners, etc. Probably the only piece of advice I can offer is to keep your training within a single country as much as possible. That avoids additional checks with foreign authorities (e.g. to verify if an instructor or organisation is really registered and certified there), which I’ve heard is often what delays the issuance of licenses and ratings

Bel Pilot
18th Sep 2023, 13:48
Hi all,
​​​​​​Personnaly, after 9 months since my Multi IR checkride, the CAA in Madrid apparently lost all the documents from the examiner.
We also had to issue 3 times the same proof of residency.
We are now still waiting.
Their new platform is also not working. Yet they insist that you retrieve their notifications there.
Do not get your licenses in Spain! !!

SaulGoodman
18th Sep 2023, 15:00
One more vote for the IAA. Fast, professional and very pragmatic