PDA

View Full Version : BK Wally

Ozgrade3
29th Aug 2002, 13:08
One of our instructors came in and told me a beauty today. In the runupbay for 11, a spinnerless Warrior was sitting in the runup bay near the tower, apon being told they have somethig hanging down from the underside of the aircraft, the intrepid aviator hops out of the aircraft, walks around the prop, crawls beneath the aircraft to have a look..............leaving no one in the airraft with the engine RUNNING.

Dont you love good airmanship and common sense.

Dogimed
30th Aug 2002, 01:54
Now Now OZGrade3,

You know you can't go around callin Pilots Wallies...(especially at BK)

They just need some positive encouragement to do the right thing, because you know, we have all been there at one stage or another.. so lets not berate the poor little guy or girl, but maybe congratulate them for being so good as to look.. (it could have been worse) and we'll sit back and have a stab at you for being so horrible as to criticise some poor defenceless student for their goodwill in getting out.

Blah

Dog

Natit
30th Aug 2002, 03:26
Dog,

Why have a go at OZGrade3?? I maybe think that calling people wallies isn't exactly the right thing, but obviously common sense should prevail in this case??

Yes we have all been there at one stage or another, but in my opinion, if I needed to hop out of the aircraft I would surely shut the engine down first. It's not hard to just take a little time out and think about the consequences of getting out with the engine running.

Like OZGrade3 said...some common sense can go a long way.

Dogimed
30th Aug 2002, 05:17
Natit,

It was tongue in cheek.

I made a similiar post in the thread "To the wally at bankstown" an was criticized <sp?> for being critical.

Dog

JULIET WHISKEY
30th Aug 2002, 11:21
Surely Ozgrade , he needs to review his training with an extensive review of one of my training video's , new to the Market

"PA 28 on the Flight Deck" Video

Flight CH 254 - Bankstown to Hoxton Park with skipper Alan Terral

A complete and detailed look at the workings of the Piper 28 series.

Turbulent Eddy
30th Aug 2002, 14:04
Juliet Whiskey, lets not forget the following much publicised titles-

"CRM for the modern PA- series pilot" ,or,

"The Lycoming 320 awareness course -a practical overview"

:D :D

429 CJ
1st Sep 2002, 09:02
Jay Dubberya, is that the one that includes "Flying the Heavy Iron, an overview of the high performance PA28. With your host Phillip McSabre", or "The practical concepts of Controlled flight into the Sky", same presenter?

Hadn't seen those ones on the shelves yet..... :)

drexel
2nd Sep 2002, 10:05
did you guys hear the one about the Salvation army officer and the 182
check out the Darwin local rag.

Islander Jock
2nd Sep 2002, 10:50
Drexel,

The C182 was quite a popular discussion thread when the incident occurred. A quite vigorous debate on the merits of handswinging props ensued.

Not too dismilar from the PA32 incident at Parafield where a lone pilot handswung his IO540. There was a nice photo of unifomly sliced Seminole as a result of that one.

and

The runaway BE76 at Perth. Pretty well the same circumstances as the BK incident. Engineer got out to remove chocks but didn't shut down. Very expensive and painful error on the poor guys part.

ruby ruby roo
4th Sep 2002, 21:39
Good point there OZgrade3..........

You know, I once knew an instructor at BK who arranged all his students navs around his burgers......:p

Now that's good airmenship and common sense.......:rolleyes:

Wizofoz
4th Sep 2002, 23:16
I remember many years ago a lady gained the nick-name "Chock". She had started up a Partenavia (With pax!!) and forgotten to take the chocks out.

She got out with engines running, removed the offending chocks, upon which the Aircraft rolled smoothly over her foot, breaking it! While the aircraft with 5 pob rolled away, our poor lady writhed on the tarmac in agony. Luckily a passenger had enough knowledge to stop the thing.

All ends well, she went on to a very successful airline career as "one" of QFs first lady pilots (B 767 Captain now I believe).

.....Those that have, and those that will!

429 CJ
5th Sep 2002, 05:05
Sounds a bit like the fella seen at a busy GA airport in the NW of the country not too many months ago start-up his c210 and proceed to use most of the 300hp to try and shift that pesky tail tie-down rope. By the time he realised he had quite an audience......

Or the bloke who came bolting into the cct (same MBZ ;) ), in a Cessna taildragger (without any radio calls), and then proceeded to cut in front of a heavy Airvan on mid final........ One airvan trying as hard as it can to go-around, and when our hero realised that he'd botched his low level cct up totally, so proceeded to go around in front of the Airvan doing likewise!

After he finally landed, he left the engine running and basically threw the pax out of the C185 and then headed back to a well known cattle station just over the border......

;) ;)

apache
6th Sep 2002, 02:58
Maybe the book that this guy needs to read is "Propellors and me" by Jack Newton.

I am intrigued as to how ANYONE can get out from the pilots seat of a PN68 with pax on board in the first place, let alone with the prop still running!

SuPeRcHaRgEd
6th Sep 2002, 04:49
"Wallies" In our part of the world so called aviators with little between the ears or short on common sence are knows as "Foxtrot Whiskeys":eek:

Hugh Jarse
6th Sep 2002, 09:17
I'm old enough to remember "Chocks" (edited) hobbling round on crutches at BK :D:D:D

Well, you know what they say: FORE!!!!http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/dark2.gif

Wizofoz
6th Sep 2002, 13:17
Hugh,

As I brought it up I'd appreciate it if you edited your post and removed the surname.

Hugh Jarse
6th Sep 2002, 17:58
Done!

Wizofoz
6th Sep 2002, 23:29
Thanks mate

JULIET WHISKEY
10th Sep 2002, 10:45
*****Apache , yes that video is covered in our library.

" Advanced progress toward Airline Success"

Insights to Commercial Non-Normal Operations.
A comprehensive guide to achieving Employment with
Qantas Airways .

*****C J & Turbulent Eddy
Another title that is a popular amoung the new start
Commercial Pilots is :

"Pratt & Whitney PT6 Awareness Course"

A practical insight to Freshman CPL Students progressing directly to Turbine Operations

Another to consider is the

"Piper Navajo/Cheiftain First Officers Training guide"
A comprehensive guide to the Multi Crew Operation of this Prolific Light Twin.

And remember

" Safety starts with a fully trained and hung over Pilot"

Turbulent Eddy
11th Sep 2002, 06:16
Juliet Whiskey,
I thought you'd be able to remember those "priceless" educational courses! Has "Muzza" still got them? :D :D

JULIET WHISKEY
12th Sep 2002, 01:47
Hey Eddy,
One set is over in Fiji with Jos.
Muzza has another for the Wale Watching Mistress

Another new Training video released on 10 Sept 02 is :

"Training for Command decisions roadbound from Northern Sydney (YSNS) to Bankstown Airport (YSBK)"

"A Significant insight for Junior Grade 3 Instructors into the best roads to take from North Sydney to Bankstown Airport with minimal transit time in your new car that is insured under your mums insurance premium."

And remember,

" Safety starts with a well Trained Pilot whose parents are loaded"

Turbulent Eddy
12th Sep 2002, 06:56
LMFAO!! :D :D Classic, top notch!

weasil
14th Sep 2002, 06:42
Speaking of chocks.

I was in shared owner ship of a C150
with a guy who could start the engine and then open his door, reach out and remove the chocks (from main gear)
with out getting out of the plane!!
Now that was a sight to see.