PDA

View Full Version : What do you answer to "MINIMUM" in descent checklist when you are flying visual?

cdp53190
26th Jan 2023, 02:32
Hi.
I am new to A350 and I am wondering what should I answer to "MINIMUM" in descent checklist when I am flying visual.
I was instructed to answer "Visual Circuite" when I was training visual traffic pattern in my transition training, so I am using it even if I am not in traffic pattern but I feel strange.
Any ideas please.
Thanks!

737pilotguy
26th Jan 2023, 19:29
Check your FCOM for the correct callout. Circuit training normally has little to do with line operations. "Set" or "xxx checked" would make much more sense.

rudestuff
26th Jan 2023, 19:52
Why would you call minimums if you've already declared visual?

737pilotguy
26th Jan 2023, 19:57
Why would you call minimums if you've already declared visual?

Aside from that, how can you declare "visual" for the descent checklist which is completed before descent?

Kennytheking
27th Jan 2023, 04:16
Ok, I'm not flying 350 but I fly 380 which is supposed to be the same. We do not have a descent checklist, only an approach checklist?

The reply to minimums in the approach checklist is an PFD callout. Just say whatever you see in the minimums spot on the FMA. We set 500ft in the FMS when doing a visual approach.

rudestuff
27th Jan 2023, 05:41
Aside from that, how can you declare "visual" for the descent checklist which is completed before descent?
Good point I misread the question, I thought we were talking about the minimums/decide call on short final.

TheEdge
27th Jan 2023, 09:28
What is a Descent checklist ? Either youi talk about Approach CL maybe ?

Vessbot
27th Jan 2023, 16:48
What is a Descent checklist ? Either youi talk about Approach CL maybe ?
A checklist done earlier, with more general type items, which reduces the workload later.

TheEdge
28th Jan 2023, 12:41
A checklist done earlier, with more general type items, which reduces the workload later.

i never seen this in Airbus

42go
28th Jan 2023, 14:10
POINT OF ORDER! There is no minimum on a visual approach (OK - 'zero' for the pedants)

rudestuff
28th Jan 2023, 15:31
Wait... Airbus doesn't have a descent checklist?? Well you learn something new every day.

70 Mustang
30th Jan 2023, 05:34
“Do you feel lucky?”

”Did you eat your Wheaties?”

”Did you say something?”

”Let me show you something I learned a while back”

cdp53190
31st Jan 2023, 07:53
Thanks guys taking time for my niche question. I surprised that some doesn't know about Descent Checklist. Maybe my company's tailored?
Does anybody(anycompany) who has something like "answer rules" when you encounter an item not applicable?
Ex) We have "Cabin Ready - Received" in Approach Checklist, and I wonder what to answer if I am flying cargo(NO PAX, NO CA).

ScepticalOptomist
31st Jan 2023, 09:26
Thanks guys taking time for my niche question. I surprised that some doesn't know about Descent Checklist. Maybe my company's tailored?
Does anybody(anycompany) who has something like "answer rules" when you encounter an item not applicable?
Ex) We have "Cabin Ready - Received" in Approach Checklist, and I wonder what to answer if I am flying cargo(NO PAX, NO CA).

”Not required”
”Not Applicable”

I think you may be overthinking it all - it shouldn’t be that complicated.

100.Ab0ve
31st Jan 2023, 09:31
read the MANUAL!

FCTM PRO NOR NOR CHECKLIST APPROACH

close the thread

TheEdge
31st Jan 2023, 10:03
ECAM MEMO ? Landing No Blue
Cabin ? Ready.

This is the landing CL for Airbus320, not the Approach, but maybe your Company fine tuned it for some reason or maybe on the A350 is completely different.

Uplinker
31st Jan 2023, 10:59
From Airbus FCTM:

There are no ‘Paper Checklists’ when the aircraft is airborne.
There are flows and briefings and ECAM memos though.

If your airline has them, your answer at TOD would presumably be whatever altitude/height value you have set for landing. Unless they mean MSA?

At actual minima, i.e. on final approach near the threshold, you would answer "land" or "visual" or "continue", (depending what your airline specifies), or "go-around - flap" as applicable.