PDA

View Full Version : KMCO ATC

Langers_Mash
23rd Jan 2023, 20:59
Good evening all,
I have a quick question with regards to the ATC in America, or more specifically Orlando (as this is where I was listening to the live ATC whilst watching fr24). Whilst listening to the stream I heard a go-around and saw it on the fr24 map as a Cessna citation didn't vacate quickly enough, one thing that struck me though was the air traffic controller was clearing all ACFT to land as soon as they had been passed to him from approach. Why would a tower controller clear an ACFT to land when there was already two ACFT ahead of them on the approach who had also been cleared to land?

MarkerInbound
24th Jan 2023, 02:56
ATC does it here at any airport. The FAA Air Traffic Control order says

“3−10−6. ANTICIPATING SEPARATION

a. Landing clearance to succeeding aircraft in a landing sequence need not be withheld if you observe the positions of the aircraft and determine that prescribed runway separation will exist when the aircraft crosses the landing threshold.”

Langers_Mash
24th Jan 2023, 09:18
Oh ok, so simply put the controller can clear an ACFT to land if he believes that the succeeding ACFT will have vacated the runway by the time he lands?
Thanks very much or clarifying this.

Amadis of Gaul
26th Jan 2023, 16:55
Oh ok, so simply put the controller can clear an ACFT to land if he believes that the succeeding ACFT will have vacated the runway by the time he lands?
Thanks very much or clarifying this.
Correct.

Langers_Mash
26th Jan 2023, 17:16
Very interesting, thanks for the info guys!