View Full Version : Rv9a turned over on french island

runway16
22nd Jan 2023, 11:28
Media reports that RV9A VH-JXN overturned on French Island strip after nose gear collapsed on landing.
Three POB. One taken to hospital.
I thought the RV9A was only a two seater.

NZFlyingKiwi
22nd Jan 2023, 17:12
I'm quite sure it wouldn't be possible to configure an RV-9 with more than two seats. Unless there was a young infant on board probably more than likely a media mistake?

Squawk7700
22nd Jan 2023, 18:55
Media error.

KRviator
22nd Jan 2023, 20:05
More than likely, but not necessarily.

As a -9 Driver I've seen a couple of 'em in the US with a carseat fitted in the baggage area, and actually thought about it in mine until I got the tape measure out and realised it wasn't worth the heartache for only 6 months or so.

Squawk7700
22nd Jan 2023, 20:18
I’ll categorically say that there were not 3 POB on-board this particular aircraft at time of the event, or ever in the history of its operation.

PiperCameron
22nd Jan 2023, 21:29
Media error.

This is probably the most reliable place for information: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/306096

Egipps
22nd Jan 2023, 21:40
This is probably the most reliable place for information: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/306096
Somehow I doubt it. Yesterday it showed 3 occupants.. It relies on unvetted information submitted by the public.

Bug
22nd Jan 2023, 21:47
Media report that sounds likely to be close to what happened.

https://www.sgst.com.au/news/light-plane-flips-in-emergency-landing-on-french-island

Squawk7700
22nd Jan 2023, 23:44
Media report that sounds likely to be close to what happened.

https://www.sgst.com.au/news/light-plane-flips-in-emergency-landing-on-french-island

Accurate as in they got the date correct and that’s about it.

Alice Kiwican
23rd Jan 2023, 00:25
Accurate as in they got the date correct and that’s about it.

What part of that article was fiction just out of curiosity?
Aircraft type, rego and airfield all correct…….

Squawk7700
23rd Jan 2023, 01:34

The title of the article perhaps….

PiperCameron
23rd Jan 2023, 01:38

There's an airfield on French Island?? If there is, please tell me 'cause I'd like to visit.

Various news seemed to imply it was an emergency landing - and his nosewheel didn't "fail", it's still attached to the aircraft. It looks to me like he's been unlucky enough to hit a soft patch.

Egipps
23rd Jan 2023, 01:49
There's an airfield on French Island?? If there is, please tell me 'cause I'd like to visit.

Various news seemed to imply it was an emergency landing - and his nosewheel didn't "fail", it's still attached to the aircraft. It looks to me like he's been unlucky enough to hit a soft patch.
There have always been a few private strips on French Island. And very very much doubt it was an emergency landing. And also not sure that they had departed from Tooradin. But I'm sure others will know more than me.

thunderbird five
23rd Jan 2023, 03:45
Having personally seen this exact type of event happen myself, from 3000 feet overhead, there are a few not well known things that happen.
My mate flipped his RV - he was shaken but not stirred.
BUT. Hanging upside down in his belts, he released and fell INTO the canopy. A bunch of us lifted the tail as high as we could but because he was IN the canopy, we couldn't get it open, plus it was quite damaged too, but mainly, he was IN IT. We had to smash our way in to it and get him out. And smashing an RV canopy is not as easy as you might think. What are you going to find to do that with? Your boot? No, that doesn't work. Plane was stuffed, but he was okay. (Until his wife got hold of him.) Yes, the plane is in the air again, anything is fixable if you throw enough money at it.

Lead Balloon
23rd Jan 2023, 04:06
That's why I was very surprised at posts #49 and #55 in this thread (https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/624016-plane-crash-william-creek-airfield.html?ispreloading=1). I'm not suggesting the poster was making it up. But I can't reconcile egress forward through the windscreen of a flipped 9A with the laws of physics.

Squawk7700
23rd Jan 2023, 04:29
That's why I was very surprised at posts #49 and #55 in this thread (https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/624016-plane-crash-william-creek-airfield.html?ispreloading=1). I'm not suggesting the poster was making it up. But I can't reconcile egress forward through the windscreen of a flipped 9A with the laws of physics.

Both physics and common sense say that you are probably correct LB. With the front portion of the windscreen missing when inverted, you’d be exiting directly towards… the ground!

In the William creek example perhaps only the front was smashed and the other maybe remained intact so they had so alternative but to squeeze out the front.

Alice Kiwican
23rd Jan 2023, 04:52
Hard to tell from photo if aircraft is landing on an airstrip or in a paddock.
I guess we’ll wait for the investigation………..if one actually happens🤔

Egipps
23rd Jan 2023, 05:12
Hard to tell from photo if aircraft is landing on an airstrip or in a paddock.
I guess we’ll wait for the investigation………..if one actually happens🤔
No significant injuries. Doubt there will be an investigation. And methinks its an airstrip ...

43Inches
23rd Jan 2023, 06:23
There's at least 1 sort of maintained airstrip on French island, possibly a few more paddock strips. The emergency service warning I received had an aircraft had flipped over on French Is, with HEMs en-route but it was downgraded as injuries were not serious. Sounded like only one injury was assessed, out of 2 on board. For a bit of amusement the information I received was that the '​aircraft's wheels had disengaged...'

At least its a break from all the reports of jet ski accidents this summer.

Checkboard
23rd Jan 2023, 11:18
I flew into French Island in the back seat of a C172 forty years ago on an AIRTC Cadet camp - so there was a strip then. Mind you, I don't think this post constitutes a suitability briefing if you want to go now.