PDA

View Full Version : AW139 unexpected float deployment

helihub
19th Jan 2023, 20:29
Lider AW139 off Brazil

https://www.jornalterceiravia.com.br/2023/01/17/video-helicoptero-tem-pane-durante-voo-na-bacia-de-campos/

https://youtu.be/L_LylVPkK20 (https://www.jornalterceiravia.com.br/2023/01/17/video-helicoptero-tem-pane-durante-voo-na-bacia-de-campos/)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1192x812/cc1c2575_7065_496b_8e30_41e8ef892f60_2dbcb15f2300d4e2959c6c7 d4320593b4dfd54c5.jpeg

Sir Korsky
19th Jan 2023, 21:45
If I remember rightly, the 139 floats are immersion activated with manual back up. My money on collective F up.

Nescafe
20th Jan 2023, 02:13
If I remember rightly, the 139 floats are immersion activated with manual back up. My money on collective F up.

Activation from the collective mounted switch requires a three stage action, arm floats, lift the collective switch guard then press the button. If the floats are armed, the ‘float test’ button being pressed inadvertently, (by a flight board or iPad etc) would also make the circuit, which could be more likely.

gwelo shamwari
22nd Jan 2023, 17:06
Activation from the collective mounted switch requires a three stage action, arm floats, lift the collective switch guard then press the button. If the floats are armed, the ‘float test’ button being pressed inadvertently, (by a flight board or iPad etc) would also make the circuit, which could be more likely.

Pressing the test button with the floats armed does not cause them to inflate.

Non-PC Plod
22nd Jan 2023, 17:51
Pressing the test button with the floats armed does not cause them to inflate.

Yes- hopefully. However there must be a reason for the limitation: "Do not activate the test switch in flight"..............!

ericferret
23rd Jan 2023, 09:08
Yes- hopefully. However there must be a reason for the limitation: "Do not activate the test switch in flight"..............!

I seem to recall a similar incident with a UK registered aircraft.
A wiring short under the baggage bay floor.
There was a mod to increase the clearance around the cylinder firing heads.

wrench1
23rd Jan 2023, 15:38
I seem to recall a similar incident with a UK registered aircraft. A wiring short under the baggage bay floor. There was a mod to increase the clearance around the cylinder firing heads.
There were several incidents which led to a Leo ASB and then to an AD.
https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/AA2D31C9E7A6389E862585B5004BDBCB.0001

malabo
23rd Jan 2023, 16:37
Always thought the Agusta SOP of flying over water with floats armed was superior and a natural evolution over the old S76 (and others) restriction of limiting arming by airspeed. We blew lots of floats in the 76 at 140 knots with only embarrassment as a consequence. After we got the belly sensors to auto inflate all we really needed was a guard on the manual activation button on the cyclic, that alas never came.

Glad Agusta never backpedaled on SOP after the first few inadvertent float deployments.

gwelo shamwari
23rd Apr 2023, 01:10
Not sure how common this is but I overheard that a Middle East Gulf operator has had 4 unexpected activations this year alone. CHC apparently had multiple last year too.

I wonder if MX has anything to do with the number of unexpected activations as the operators I have flown for never had a single one with hundreds of thousands of operating hours?

Is there anywhere where this information is available for analysis?

Zar_1
23rd Apr 2023, 06:17
How pricey would something like this be though? (an inadvertent deployment)

I've seen videos of people inflating these floats for fun, once their useable lifespan is consumed...

Sir Korsky
23rd Apr 2023, 06:32
the 'traditional' dropping of the iPad on the unguarded float switch was a $60k FU on the S76 - to give you some idea. Squibs ain't cheap.

megan
23rd Apr 2023, 07:03
We blew lots of floats in the 76 at 140 knots with only embarrassment as a consequenceYou flew with floats armed in the cruise and had finger trouble on the cyclic I assume?'traditional' dropping of the iPad on the unguarded float switch was a $60k FU on the S76Unable to understand how dropping an iPad can blow the floats I'm afraid. Flew the 76 for 24 years and 12,000K and we never had an inadvertent inflation in any of our six aircraft, nor an intentional one. floats disarmed in the after take off check from a rig, armed on the prelanding check.

Sir Korsky
23rd Apr 2023, 07:09
Glad to hear that Megan. You must have been around far smarter folk than I've been used to ! :O

noooby
1st May 2023, 17:31
Not sure how common this is but I overheard that a Middle East Gulf operator has had 4 unexpected activations this year alone. CHC apparently had multiple last year too.

I wonder if MX has anything to do with the number of unexpected activations as the operators I have flown for never had a single one with hundreds of thousands of operating hours?

Is there anywhere where this information is available for analysis?

Records show 2 inflight float deployments in the last 3 years and that includes the recent one in Brazil. That is across all Leonardo aircraft types. 109/119, 139, 169 and 189.

I can't find any records for unintentional float operation on the ground in that time frame. Normally the OEM would at least be told and also regulatory authority, IF it was a problem with an aircraft system.

gwelo shamwari
3rd May 2023, 14:36
I am a bit sceptical at the claim of so many unintentional/unexpected deployments.

Where exactly did you check? it would interesting to have a look at what is actually happening to the fleet.

albatross
3rd May 2023, 20:41
I am a bit sceptical at the claim of so many unintentional/unexpected deployments.

Where exactly did you check? it would interesting to have a look at what is actually happening to the fleet.

I have heard of. a lot on 76s over the years. More than one occurred on hand over of controls for a deck landing. One poor fellow was present at 2 in 4 months. Forever after he lived with the nickname “Pops”. One thing we discovered was that the red button on the cyclic, which all thought required a good hard push, would activate at the merest touch.

gwelo shamwari
5th May 2023, 02:28
I have heard of. a lot on 76s over the years. More than one occurred on hand over of controls for a deck landing. One poor fellow was present at 2 in 4 months. Forever after he lived with the nickname “Pops”. One thing we discovered was that the red button on the cyclic, which all thought required a good hard push, would activate at the merest touch.

Correct me if I am wrong, the S76 has a raised rim around the float deployment so as to distinguish it from the force trim release. I have heard it's real common for a freshly transitioned pilot to mix the two up. However, the float deployments on the s76 were from that button being played with on the cyclic. The AW139 requires a switch cover on the collective to be lifted fully open before access is even given to the button.

Sir Korsky
5th May 2023, 13:36
There have been many inadvertent 76 float deployments, probably hundreds over the years. Usually on the deck after one pilot exits with the float switch still on. Many operators failed to install the STC float guard and fumbling on exit, or even getting the cyclic trim PB mixed up with the pop button set them off. Easy to do if you're stupid or tired. If the 139 system works as advertised, you should never have to manually activate the float switch.

Shackman
5th May 2023, 16:43
Can happen to anyone:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x768/pic00006_5f0e35293869219090371e12b7c4b63b0b466d74.jpg

whoknows idont
5th May 2023, 22:17
The key lies in selling it as a functional test.

megan
6th May 2023, 02:21
I have heard it's real common for a freshly transitioned pilot to mix the two upandThere have been many inadvertent 76 float deployments, probably hundreds over the yearsI'm afraid I don't understand the troubles you good folk had with the 76. All our first officers were provided by a contractor (different employer to the helo owner and captain employer) and they had the bare five hour endorsement, many had a bare minimum of hours, some with the license signature still wet, because there was no progression available for them the average length of employment with us was eighteen months, so we had a constant stream of first officers going through, none ever punched off the floats. As I said previously, we never ever had a float deployment. Confused. :confused: