PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe allows VPN or not?

India Four Two
19th Jan 2023, 09:42
I am currently wintering in Vietnam, where in order to access the BBC website, I have to use a VPN. I have discovered over the past two weeks, by forgetting to turn off my VPN that I was able to still access PPRuNe.

It was intermittent and at the moment I have to turn off my VPN in order to access PPRuNe. Has anybody else seen this behaviour and does it portend a change in policy by Internet Brands?

_Agrajag_
20th Jan 2023, 09:20
Yes and no. Sometimes VPNs get blocked, other times they work. I routinely use NordVPN. I'm connected to PPRuNe at the moment via that VPN. Most of the time PPRuNe works OK. Every now and again it gets blocked (as do some other sites). Changing to a different VPN node almost always fixes it.

I think that what happens is that scammers start using a particular VPN node and when that high volume of activity gets linked to the IP address range of that node that IP address range gets blocked, as a crude countermeasure. No idea if this is the reason for your issue, but it may be. Try changing nodes, if you can, and see if that works

IBJoel
20th Jan 2023, 15:49
We do not support, but do not prohibit VPNs. Agrajag more or less has it correct, although it is out security software, Cloudflare that does the blocking

India Four Two
20th Jan 2023, 16:21
Thanks for the info guys. That helps. I'll try changing nodes in future.