PDA

View Full Version : Air Tags permitted by EK?

Killaroo
16th Jan 2023, 03:30
Can you EK guys tell me if passengers are allowed to have Apple Air Tags in their check-in luggage?
There's a lot of confusion in the industry about this. The Emirates website gives no specific advice, even on their own otherwise comprehensive 'Dangerous Goods' section. It does refer to 'Smart Bags' but these are a whole other animal being bags with built in devices and larger batteries. Air Tags are removable and tiny, the battery is a CR2032 which contains .017gm of lithium, which is below the limit EK places on other devices with lithium batteries.
If there's a stated official EK policy please point me to it?

Kennytheking
16th Jan 2023, 05:44
Just do it. They will tell you if they don't like it.

FWIW, I have travelled many times with an airtag in my bag - never an issue.

Killaroo
17th Jan 2023, 06:28
Thanks Kenny, seems like there aren't any strong warnings or objections being raised. I probably will just do it, but as to them telling me if they don't like it - it's a bit awkward to unpack a suitcase at the check-in desk!
This is the first time I'll have used one myself and it seems really a non-issue, but bans have been raised before by other companies, and I'd prefer if EK would just say clearly what their policy is.

Kennytheking
17th Jan 2023, 08:50
Killaroo, just about everything runs on these CR2032 batteries, including my bicycle pedals, so I can't see there being any issue. I doubt the scanners will even detect it so I wouldn't even mention it.