PDA

View Full Version : EFB use research

FleetFlyer
12th Jan 2023, 15:00
Hi Ppruners, I'm doing some work with EFBs at the moment, mostly the type II variety. I'm trying to find out what the most common deployment in terms of EFB software and aircraft model is. Obviously newer aircraft now have type III EFBs built in, so I'm expecting this to be a legacy aircraft thing, such as Jeppesen/RocketRoute/etc on an Ipad used on short-haul 737 classic models. Feel free to shoot me down for asking a poorly worded question, and also I'm very grateful for any constructive responses.

First.officer
12th Jan 2023, 19:38
Hi FF,

Well, firstly it's been a few years since I stopped working with EFB's but - I think generally the terminology (at least in the EASA world) these days refers to either 'Portable' or 'Installed' , the former being the Type I & II equivalent and Type III being akin to the 'Installed' scenario.

When it comes to software - well, by way of example - Airbus utilises (for performance, W&B, FCOM etc) the FlySmart (FS+) suite of applications, and Boeing uses Boeing OPT - both applications being very intuitive and user-friendly in the main - I am biased towards the Airbus offering, but that's perhaps only because I fly on the 'bus. for other documentation, and if you have access to created .pdf forms, or the ability to create like I do - then Readdle's 'Fluix' is a very cost effective and easy-to-use application, and allows all sorts of workflows (now with API's, even better!) and annotation abilities, form submission routing to name but a very few - well worth a look. For charting, again Jeppesen's 'FD-Pro' is almost a defacto standard, or LIDO (no experience with the later). A good MDM solution to manage your companies EFB programme (VMware - AirWatch?) is also highly desirable if a larger set-up and allows for control over deployed devices and updates, when gaining approval - stuff like this will make your life in gaining approvals so much easier.

With getting approvals - it always used to be (when I started) the NPA-2012, which became AMC 20-25 and has now moved to something like - PartSPA.EFB.100 - do a Google search for the EASA Easy Access Rules, and you'll find it pretty easily. Oh, and various application manufacturers will often have software EASA evaluations available, along with a lot of software conformity certificates, user manuals, and alike.

Naturally there is a whole lot more than the brief areas I have mentioned, but should give some ideas I hope?

TheEdge
13th Jan 2023, 05:08
Hi FF,

Well, firstly it's been a few years since I stopped working with EFB's but - I think generally the terminology (at least in the EASA world) these days refers to either 'Portable' or 'Installed' , the former being the Type I & II equivalent and Type III being akin to the 'Installed' scenario.

When it comes to software - well, by way of example - Airbus utilises (for performance, W&B, FCOM etc) the FlySmart (FS+) suite of applications, and Boeing uses Boeing OPT - both applications being very intuitive and user-friendly in the main - I am biased towards the Airbus offering, but that's perhaps only because I fly on the 'bus. for other documentation, and if you have access to created .pdf forms, or the ability to create like I do - then Readdle's 'Fluix' is a very cost effective and easy-to-use application, and allows all sorts of workflows (now with API's, even better!) and annotation abilities, form submission routing to name but a very few - well worth a look. For charting, again Jeppesen's 'FD-Pro' is almost a defacto standard, or LIDO (no experience with the later). A good MDM solution to manage your companies EFB programme (VMware - AirWatch?) is also highly desirable if a larger set-up and allows for control over deployed devices and updates, when gaining approval - stuff like this will make your life in gaining approvals so much easier.

With getting approvals - it always used to be (when I started) the NPA-2012, which became AMC 20-25 and has now moved to something like - PartSPA.EFB.100 - do a Google search for the EASA Easy Access Rules, and you'll find it pretty easily. Oh, and various application manufacturers will often have software EASA evaluations available, along with a lot of software conformity certificates, user manuals, and alike.

Naturally there is a whole lot more than the brief areas I have mentioned, but should give some ideas I hope?

Just to add, for charting there is also Charts+ from NAVBlue, Airbus Company. Not the best but does the job, for sure i think the cheapest amongst Jepp and LIDO.

FlightDetent
13th Jan 2023, 06:20
Since about a decade ago there has been a push to crave the EFBs away from the avionics domain, into the 'operations' realm. As charts historically used to be, together with performance calculations. Hence the drop from Class III terminology and a very careful definition of what installed is.

FleetFlyer
18th Jan 2023, 15:14
Thanks very much for the information, it's greatly appreciated. Would you be able to comment on what the most common portable EFB Application and aircraft combo is likely to be please?

FlightDetent
18th Jan 2023, 16:00
Different airlines, different tastes. Not to mention the wild and colorful life outside Part.121/CAT.MPA

https://aviation-ia.sae-itc.com/product-categories/aeec/efb-users-forum