PDA

View Full Version : Flaming USB battery halts flight from Taiwan

Alanwsg
12th Jan 2023, 08:46
From "The Register", looks pretty scary to me!

https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/12/taiwan_singapore_powerbank_fire/

uxb99
14th Jan 2023, 20:09
We had a Samsung phone that pulled so much current through it's charging cable the cable started to melt.
The cause was an app that demanded too much power. I found it quite shocking that the software can tell the hardware to effectively have a literal meltdown.
We also had an old IPhone who's battery swelled up like a balloon. Google it, it's a common problem.
We all have these devices and they carry a lot of current, energy. Anyone of them could malfunction and cause a fire.
Imagine if that device was in the hold.

tdracer
14th Jan 2023, 21:03
We had a Samsung phone that pulled so much current through it's charging cable the cable started to melt.
The cause was an app that demanded too much power. I found it quite shocking that the software can tell the hardware to effectively have a literal meltdown.

You may well have had a damaged charging cable. I had that happen with an I-phone a few years back. I'd left the phone plugged in to the charging outlet in my van overnight while I slept in the van (I was at a rocket launch in the middle of nowhere and van camping is easier than driving an hour to the nearest town to stay in a hotel). Anyway, not only did the charging cable melt (the damage was right at the I-phone connector - I almost burned my fingers unplugging it), it drained the van battery so much that I had to get a jump to get it started.

remi
19th Jan 2023, 22:45
I don't think anyone should be completely sanguine about the safety of lithium batteries, especially when they are charging. Unattended charging is common and perhaps it shouldn't be, especially when a fire could be especially dangerous. Here is a particularly tragic result.

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/12/coast-guard-warns-charging-phone-batteries-amid-california-boat-fire/2297964001/

DroneDog
22nd Jan 2023, 08:54
I fly a bit with pro camera gear; I carry the lithium Ion batteries in a dedicated fire-resistant bang. Along with the camera as carry on The batteries are all original from the camera manufacturer (no clones) but I also make sure they are virtually discharged and carry no appreciable energy.

My biggest fear is that someone will place one of those eBay special uber cheap hoverboards or scooter things in the hold. One that's a budget make and perhaps has had a little damage when being used and the lithium-ion cells are compromised/physically damaged and fully charged. These things have a large battery pack. This recipe for disaster is sitting in the aircraft hold, and maybe it gets nudged by another item during the flight (air turbulence). I have no idea if airports have any hold baggage checks to catch this, but given the summer holiday season, when the masses head for that summer break. If its shoved into a rucksack or large suitcase check-in have no chance of spotting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2jNHWatZvs

punkalouver
22nd Jan 2023, 11:31
I fly a bit with pro camera gear; I carry the lithium Ion batteries in a dedicated fire-resistant bang. Along with the camera as carry on The batteries are all original from the camera manufacturer (no clones) but I also make sure they are virtually discharged and carry no appreciable energy.

My biggest fear is that someone will place one of those eBay special uber cheap hoverboards or scooter things in the hold. One that's a budget make and perhaps has had a little damage when being used and the lithium-ion cells are compromised/physically damaged and fully charged. These things have a large battery pack. This recipe for disaster is sitting in the aircraft hold, and maybe it gets nudged by another item during the flight (air turbulence). I have no idea if airports have any hold baggage checks to catch this, but given the summer holiday season, when the masses head for that summer break. If its shoved into a rucksack or large suitcase check-in have no chance of spotting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2jNHWatZvs

Interesting video. Glad to hear that calm, cool, collected reaction saved the day from a scary situation. He should become an airline pilot.

We have this interesting stuff at my airline in a container designed for insertion of laptops. You have to watch this video to see amazing fireproofing and cooldown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFrQtRp6R4Y

fergusd
22nd Jan 2023, 19:28
I found it quite shocking that the software can tell the hardware to effectively have a literal meltdown.
It can't.
HTH
Fd

remi
22nd Jan 2023, 22:12
It seems ironic to me that an airline whose cargo doesn't self load would be the bellwether in protection against cargo fires, and that FAA isn't being proactive in requiring this for passenger flights.

www.aviationpros.com/gse/baggage-cargo/cargo-handling-equipment-accessories/uld-containers/article/11127544/ups-begins-using-fireresistant-cargo-containers

uxb99
26th Jan 2023, 12:28
It can't.
HTH
Fd

Never say never?
Apple investigating iPhone X that exploded after updating to iOS 12.1 | AppleInsider (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/11/14/apple-investigating-iphone-x-that-exploded-after-updating-to-ios-121)
"The cause in this case is most likely a defect in either the battery or the charger, although a software glitch could theoretically have caused the iPhone to exceed its limits."