PDA

View Full Version : China Outlook

Dirtydozen320
11th Jan 2023, 15:49
Fellow Ppruners,

With China opening up, what are the future prospects in the mainland looking like? Would be interesting know know the state of hiring or the future of aviation there presuming little or no training during the past few years, Americans unlikely to comeback and the mandatory retirements etc.

pulse1
11th Jan 2023, 16:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi63Gzl0tTg&t=5s

This guy gives a very clear assessment of China's general economic prospects

BAe 146-100
11th Jan 2023, 21:42
Good days are over, I highly doubt the expat scene in Asia in general will ever quite be the same again as it was pre 2020…

FlightDetent
13th Jan 2023, 02:58
Chinese young captains who trained in the US/EU are working their asses off to develop the overseas PPL/CPL into ATPL+TRs. Because THEY cannot bear the nitpicking pressure and increased punishment efforts embedded in the way the whole civil aviation is set up over there.

Watch for a very happy East Asian faces at EASA NAA Licencing department near you....

Dirtydozen320
13th Jan 2023, 03:52
Chinese young captains who trained in the US/EU are working their asses off to develop the overseas PPL/CPL into ATPL+TRs. Because THEY cannot bear the nitpicking pressure and increased punishment efforts embedded in the way the whole civil aviation is set up over there.

Watch for a very happy East Asian faces at EASA NAA Licencing department near you....

While I understand your perspective, they aren’t paid 25k. Don’t you think it would be different if they were paid the same and weren’t bonded for life?

Playing by their rules would be a culture shock in aviation terms to everyone but I guess it’s something people accept for that sum knowing it’s a “fine” contract.

FlightDetent
13th Jan 2023, 04:26
I do understand that perspective and agree with it, 100%.

Reality Update Check: present-day contracts resonate off the 15k mark, with a round-ticket home in Y costing about 2k door-to-door. Deduct 600 for private LoL and 1400 on rent and direct living costs, the math is easily done.

Across the airlines that actually employ foreigners, even on paper only, the post-covid rate is 220/ hour and 5000 basic (equivalent of). There are no more dots left to connect.

Once the job pays in take-home cash 4x as much as the nice (but badly paying) at-home opportunity, people will line up. Read the book, it is more relevant than ever.

EDIT: Inflation. Assuming realistic 5,5 % yearly etween 2019-2023, the compound increase turns the quoted 25k into 31k. Ballpark correct, 60/month @ 500$. Only prime money and thus retiring early recovers the suffering and loss of seniority / base choice / vacation bids / career progression.

List Of Top 10 Highest Paying Airlines In The World 2022 For Pilots (logicpublishers.com) (https://www.logicpublishers.com/highest-paying-airlines-world-pilots/) What I read here is 220k average, guessing 150k F/O and 290k CP before bonuses and additional payments.

Dirtydozen320
13th Jan 2023, 08:15
Appreciate the data, let’s hope things turn for the better in the years to come.

batman012
17th Jan 2023, 21:11
who knows, maybe the Chinese market will experience what we had in europe during 2022 summer.