PDA

View Full Version : UK Forces could be hung in Japan under new agreement

chopper2004
10th Jan 2023, 20:29
Interesting , as both JF001 and JF002 JASDF 777 are at STN as the Japanese PM is here for talks and tomorrow at the Tower of London (ironically) for Mutual Defence agreement. Basically if any of our lot on exercise here and commit heinous crime then it’s the hangman.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-troops-guilty-of-crimes-in-japan-could-be-hanged-m2m236zwl

Though did not think the Japanese law system still had the death penalty if that’s the case then if anyone casts their mind back around 16/17 years ago when the Coventry lass was butchered , cannot recall her Japanese killer being executed or was he?

cheers

Herod
10th Jan 2023, 21:20
I can't recall that case, but if it was committed in UK, then he would be subject to UK law, and we don't have the death penalty. As for UK troops in Japan; their country, their laws.

Just This Once...
10th Jan 2023, 22:09
As for UK troops in Japan; their country, their laws.

A rare situation under co-op agreements and I cannot thing of another example, ever - not surprising as ministers will have had extensive legal advice that signing such an agreement would be unlawful both in UK law and under the ECHR....

Service Law would be a minefield as you could, in theory, refuse to go as to do so would be an unlawful order and against current legislation.

Lonewolf_50
11th Jan 2023, 01:13
If you don't negotiate a better Status of Forces agreement, then you get what you bargained for.
(Hopefully, none of the UK service members who does end up in Japan ends up having to test this edge case).

jolihokistix
11th Jan 2023, 01:31
US forces have been here for a while and have a semi-working agreement. Crimes committed by US troops here get a fairly unfavourable press each time somethig kicks off.

Incidentally, grammar point approaching, warning, they told me at school that people were/are 'hanged'.

rattman
11th Jan 2023, 03:32
US forces have been here for a while and have a semi-working agreement. Crimes committed by US troops here get a fairly unfavourable press each time somethig kicks off.

Incidentally, grammar point approaching, warning, they told me at school that people were/are 'hanged'.

US generally get to walk away from crimes committed in australia, know the marine rotational force darwin has been causing issues and they just generally just get loaded on a plane within a few hours and every one throws up thier hands. Outside of our juristriction now

Load Toad
11th Jan 2023, 03:39
Interesting , as both JF001 and JF002 JASDF 777 are at STN as the Japanese PM is here for talks and tomorrow at the Tower of London (ironically) for Mutual Defence agreement. Basically if any of our lot on exercise here and commit heinous crime then it’s the hangman.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-troops-guilty-of-crimes-in-japan-could-be-hanged-m2m236zwl

Though did not think the Japanese law system still had the death penalty if that’s the case then if anyone casts their mind back around 16/17 years ago when the Coventry lass was butchered , cannot recall her Japanese killer being executed or was he?

cheers

The murderer of Lindsay Hawker was sentenced to life in prison. You can easily search the case.

Yes the Japanese still have Capital Punishment: Japan Capital Punishment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan)

artee
11th Jan 2023, 09:09
US generally get to walk away from crimes committed in australia, know the marine rotational force darwin has been causing issues and they just generally just get loaded on a plane within a few hours and every one throws up thier hands. Outside of our juristriction now

A bit like Anne Sacoolas.

Mogwi
11th Jan 2023, 10:50

Although one could indeed be said to be well hung!

Mog

30mRad
11th Jan 2023, 12:41
I don't think it's as binary as suggested. It does come down to the agreement between the countries and who/how a person would be dealt with. For eg in Germany when serving there one was dealt with by the MP not by German police (for most things - suspect serious crimes would have fallen back to German police/courts). If serving in the US depending on the visa one is treated differently too ie diplomatic immunity as per Sacoolas in the UK - and that goes for dependants too. I know it will be different when there on ex/deployment vice being there permanently but suspect there will be agreements in place.

langleybaston
11th Jan 2023, 21:20

or said to be well hung, as I recall.