PDA

View Full Version : Shoreham deer

effortless
8th Jan 2023, 15:11
Just taken a look at the webcam and there appear to be deer by the PAPI. Have had a couple of bird strikes there but this could be a whole new departure, or arrival

surely not
8th Jan 2023, 15:34
I guess it could have been a passenger with an Antler suitcase . . . . . . . . .

PV1
8th Jan 2023, 15:43
Quite entertaining watching the fire crew trying to evict them!

chevvron
8th Jan 2023, 16:06
I've watched deer at both Farnborough and Fairoaks; also lots of foxes.
When I was at Glasgow, there was a large hare which used to sit at the edge of the apron near the tower. It would wait until a Trident taxyed out and run across to the edge of the runway to watch it take off. It did this several times as there were usually 3 Trident services which departed Glasgow between 0800 and 0830 on weekdays.

BEagle
8th Jan 2023, 18:40
I was waiting to take-off at Brize once, when a bunch of mounted fox murderers appeared at the other end of the aerodrome pursuing a fox. As they came to the fence, they came rapidly to a halt, no doubt muttering various curses as their hounds were called back.... The fox nipped through the wire, trotted across the tarmac, then looked around before 'assuming the position' and depositing a load of fox-poo before happily going on its way. "That to you, Jorrocks and all your wretched Pink-coated kin", I could imagine it was saying!

SWBKCB
8th Jan 2023, 20:54
Slow day at Eshott...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/swbkcb/50228625517/

chevvron
8th Jan 2023, 21:13
.... The fox nipped through the wire, trotted across the tarmac, then looked around before 'assuming the position' and depositing a load of fox-poo before happily going on its way. "That to you, Jorrocks and all your wretched Pink-coated kin", I could imagine it was saying!
One evening at Farnborough, a vixen with her 4 cubs decided to walk onto the runway and stopped to allow her cubs a quick 'suck'.
The departing ATP carefully taxyed around her and took off; the vixen appeared unperturbed.

ShyTorque
8th Jan 2023, 23:56
Some years ago I was teaching circuits in a Bulldog at Dundee. An Oystercatcher wandered across the runway, stood on one leg just off the centreline, put its head under a wing and took a snooze. It was so under-impressed by the mighty ‘Dog that it just slept on while we did multiple roller landings with the starboard wing passing right over its head.

treadigraph
9th Jan 2023, 01:59
BEagle maybe it had seen The Belstone Fox...

SWBKCB sure that isn't Eweshot?

visibility3miles
9th Jan 2023, 02:26
Decades ago I was approaching the Raleigh-Durham Airport RDU in a small plane when I heard the ATIS warn about deer on the runway.

That caught my attention!

T J Johansen
9th Jan 2023, 05:58
I will from now on wait for something similar to Bill Engwall's "Here's Your Sign" sketch on this thread...

From Youtube!
One of my favourite ‘Here’s Your Sign’s is the one where he got booked on a corporate job in Missouri, but it was a morning show, so they had to fly in the night before on this little puddle jumper airplane on this remote airstrip at night, he was not thrilled. When they landed on the runway, they hit a deer with their plane. You cannot make this up. And it killed the deer, it wrecked the engine, they had to evacuate the plane, but it was so small, it didn’t have slides so the flight attendant said: ‘Just step out.’ So they put him in this van and they’re bussing him back to the terminal and Bill’s laughing at this point ‘cause this is the dumbest thing he’d ever seen in his life. So they get back to the terminal, Bill called his wife and goes: ‘Baby, you’re not gonna believe this..’ He goes: ‘We just hit a deer with our airplane.’ There was a pause on the other end of the line… followed by: ‘Oh my God, were you on the ground?’ Bill goes: ‘Nope, Santa was makin’ one last run.’ Here’s your sign.

T J

ETOPS
9th Jan 2023, 09:40
Shoreham deer

You bet - have you seen the landing fees !

Frelon
9th Jan 2023, 11:42
Whilst on final approach to the grass runway at Granville-Mont Saint Michel Airport (LFRF) my instructor said to me "Attention, les moutons!"

The airfield is not wildly active and sheep are allowed to graze the airfield grass, including the runway!

Un gigot d'agneau de pré-salé is delicious!

Dave Gittins
9th Jan 2023, 12:13
Doing a touch and go one morning 6 or 7 years ago in a 172 at Denver Centennial there was great big coyote sat on the threshold.

That was my first experience of landing on snow as opposed to the "back to black" principle we use in the UK.

TheOddOne
9th Jan 2023, 13:05
As a young lad working out on the airfield at Heathrow and being very keen, I got out of the Landrover to pick up some FOD on the top of a light fitting. It was the most evil-smalling, sticky yukky stuff I had hereto encountered. My amused more experienced colleague told me that it was fox poo and not really a hazard. It took some while to wash it off. Lesson learned!
On another occasion, we recovered the body of a fox that had been run over. We slung it in the back of the Landrover, again, very whiffy!
We usually 'dispatched' injured foxes as they don't recover well from any kind of injury, becoming gangrenous very quickly. Apparently for this reason, foxes don't generally survive beyond a few years.
The ones that are alive and well can be a right pain to chase away, they just turn around and seem to be mocking us, before trotting away into the darkness. We felt duty bound to attend when ATC said a fox had been reported by an aircraft but so long as it wasn't in the vicinity of the runways, we were content. They might even have had a purpose, getting rid of the rabbits that ate through the lighting cables. How did we know that was happening? When the engineers excavated a cable fault, you'd sometimes see a dead rabbit at the break...
Happy days 40 years ago, Checker and Seagull for those familiar with the callsigns.
TOO

peveril
9th Jan 2023, 13:25
Joining the circuit at Marco Island in Florida the aircraft ahead reported an alligator on the runway. The guy on the radio said they will send someone out to remove it.

pax britanica
9th Jan 2023, 15:21
CDG in Paris always seemed to have a huge rabbit population , or were they hares ? Always amazed me how many there were sitting around watching the world go by on their little grass islands in the concrete

Bueno Hombre
10th Jan 2023, 11:19
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sheep+may+safely+graze&docid=603540190410117844&mid=1CE1D91CCA26E195D7351CE1D91CCA26E195D735&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

MENELAUS
10th Jan 2023, 12:08
CDG in Paris always seemed to have a huge rabbit population , or were they hares ? Always amazed me how many there were sitting around watching the world go by on their little grass islands in the concrete

Rabbits. Local farmers were contracted ( prob still are) to cull them. And keep the carcasses. Thousands of them. Amazing the place is still standing on top of all those warrens.

chevvron
10th Jan 2023, 15:11
Rabbits. Local farmers were contracted ( prob still are) to cull them. And keep the carcasses. Thousands of them. Amazing the place is still standing on top of all those warrens.
My one visit to Rotterdam there were loads of rabbits on the grass areas.
Mind you the terminal served the most delicious coffee I ever tasted.

BEagle
10th Jan 2023, 16:39
Inside the 101 Sqn sandbag citadel at Brize, a large rabbit population thrived with no natural enemies. Until one day one of our captains brought in a dog belonging to a relative which she was minding for the day. The dog, that is, not the relative. It thought that all its doggy Christmasses had come at once and had a fine old time chasing bunnies - somewhat unsuccessfully though as it was rather aged.

Another time I'd been away on a trip for a couple of days, then drove home from the 101 car park and into my garage. The next day when I opened the garage door, out popped a most confused bunny! It must have been exploring the car and clung on for dear life as I drove home! It disappeared off into the hedge; there aren't any rabbits around here, so I wonder what became of it?

meleagertoo
10th Jan 2023, 18:13
I once encountered a huge metre long tortoise in the middle of the runway at Hargeisa, Somailand. Fortunately I was in a fairly short-landng aircraft and close to taxi speed before I spotted it - after a few disbelieving double-takes.
Shortly after another aircraft - I forget what but much bigger and faster made his traffic calls and I had a heck of a time explaining to him what the hazard was. He asked me if I could go and shoo it off the runway...!

Sleeve Wing
10th Jan 2023, 20:41
Many birds and hares disturbed on the take-off run but only one pack of feral dogs (at Naples) crossing just as we opened up. Thought better of trying to mix it with them !
Foxes ? Regular occurrence at Malaga, trotting along the taxiway. No way were they going to give way ! Just remember to stay far enough back not to suck 'em up...... :=

jolihokistix
11th Jan 2023, 02:54
Trackday at Marham, approaching 180 mph when a hare lollopped across the runaway ahead of me. I knew it would continue across, so didn't brake or do anything sudden.

In the middle of the runway it stopped, turned and sat up, looking straight at me. I can see it in my mind's eye. How I managed to brake (shudderingly) and avoid it (on two wheels?) without the car turning over, I still do not know...

stevef
11th Jan 2023, 16:13
Don't know about now but in 1988 La Rochelle airport used to have sheep grazing the grass beside the runway. They didn't seem peturbed in the least.
I've done metal repairs to light aircraft that had landing disagreements with various African creatures straying onto bush strips. One (a small gazelle ISTR) dashed across the 'runway' and managed to damage the MLG strut front fairing of an Islander on its landing run without going through the prop. :eek:
A buffalo (or some other large beast) wrote off a landing KingAir 200 on another strip, luckily with no human casualties.

TCAS FAN
11th Jan 2023, 16:49
Many years ago, before the airport boundary was totally fenced in, we had a French registered Be 200 departing SOU at night that reported “sum fing on ze runway” after departing. Runway inspection initiated that reported two deceased deer found.

An executive decision made that it was unfortunate (for the deer), bird strike report not appropriate, evidence spirited away (believed by fire crew), never did see an MOR!

Jan Olieslagers
11th Jan 2023, 17:07
... and a very well provisioned barbeque party?

PV1
13th Jan 2023, 17:43
I hear it’s about to become dearer

Discorde
15th Jan 2023, 10:51
Shoreham deerYou bet - have you seen the landing fees !

From 'Air Pictorial' March 1964:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/444x106/shoreham_fee_fe1cea69dfb3774855844e216e05e992b5fc24eb.jpg

5s (shillings) in 1964 would be equivalent to approx £5 today. The current Shoreham landing fee is a tad higher.

V12
29th Jan 2023, 16:52
I once encountered a dog on the centreline at Le Touquet, but this image wins for me

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1618x1010/lion_74ca3164c9bb3994845732f50cdf101d8ee02d53.jpg

Victorian
31st Jan 2023, 12:23
Short final at Cottonwood, Az, a large dog appeared through a gap in the fence bordering a housing subdivision alongside the runway and ran right across in front of me. "Oh well", I thought, "He's gone now" and continued the approach.

What I hadn't reckoned on were the kids who were chasing the dog! They burst through the fence and ran right across in front of me as I was about to flare. I pulled up, zoomed over them, and touched down beyond, needing all of the runway remaining to stop.

I should have gone around (or somewhere else) at the first sight of the dog of course. As they say, "I learned about flying from that".

Jan Olieslagers
31st Jan 2023, 12:28
Rude as it may sound, I am not sure I'd not have thought the same about the youngsters than you thought about the dog.
But, admittedly, that is easier to say/write/type than to actually do. A good thing, probably, for mankind. Keeping stupidity alive and all that. Did you make sure that lessons were learned?

Jump Complete
31st Jan 2023, 21:51
I used to fly the Aurigny Trislanders. One sunny afternoon, I made the first landing of the day on the cross, grass runway. As I crossed the threshold, I saw the grass runway was covered with rabbits dozing in the sunshine. As I flared I was aware of rabbits scattering in all directions. My rabbit loving girlfriend (now wife), when I told her, said I was mean. I pointed out they hadn’t paid a landing fee!
I jokingly asked Alderney tower (who I knew personally) if they had any forms for rabbit strikes!
Re the OP, having been a passenger in a car that hit a deer, I wouldn’t want to hit one in an aircraft.

chevvron
31st Jan 2023, 22:08
I once encountered a dog on the centreline at Le Touquet, but this image wins for me

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1618x1010/lion_74ca3164c9bb3994845732f50cdf101d8ee02d53.jpg
Back in the early days of Pprune, I saw a photo of an L 410 which had landed somewhere in Africa and the pilot had gone elswhere. When he returned about 30 min later, he found a whole pride of lions had found the shade produced by his wings and were laying there looking at him.

India Four Two
1st Feb 2023, 05:49
chevvron,

Allow me to be of assistance. :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/500x357/lions_under_wing_of_aircraft_d9836336a0402ac35a56fcf6df3bfc4 ea648c9a4.jpg

V12
16th Jul 2023, 17:38
Beats the TSA for ultra safe airport security.

16th Jul 2023, 20:39
Waited for nearly 10 mins on a taxiway in Orlando after landing. At 6 kg or so a Gopher Tortoise could destroy an engine (330). Pax saw the funny side after the PA. Shuffled off eventually!