PDA

View Full Version : Was Prince Harry ever a pilot?

Dora-9
6th Jan 2023, 01:15
In the latest outpouring of whinge, Prince Harry is quoted as stating "..he killed 25 Taliban...as an Apache helicopter pilot". My question is: was he actually the pilot?

rattman
6th Jan 2023, 01:24
guessing its just trolling again, this question has been asked before by trolls and the answer is yes. Apache co-pilots are pilots. Just like your co-pilot on your airliner is a pilot an apache gunner is a qualified pilot, both positions are almost exactly the same and you can fly from either postion if required

MJ89
6th Jan 2023, 01:38
Yes and as he was in Afghan for a while (in line of fire) he has the credentials to throw about if he likes, however uncouth on going on about the numbers of people he took off the face of the earth.

MJ89
6th Jan 2023, 01:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4X7OeL3Mc&t=83s

https://youtu.be/6R4X7OeL3Mc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4X7OeL3Mc&t=83s)

West Coast
6th Jan 2023, 03:01
I stand to be corrected, my assumption is when someone in the UK receives flight training, they are then obligated for a particular period of time? If so, did Harry meet that obligation?

Flugzeug A
6th Jan 2023, 03:28
You can feel contempt for what he’s become , but not for his time in the army.

Dora-9
6th Jan 2023, 04:55
Rattman:

guessing its just trolling again

No, not trolling but a genuine question. Thanks for the information.

WHBM
6th Jan 2023, 05:00
however uncouth on going on about the numbers of people he took off the face of the earth.
Don't forget it's written primarily for a USA readership, where such euphoria is commonplace. The publishers know their market.

rattman
6th Jan 2023, 05:38
Rattman:

No, not trolling but a genuine question. Thanks for the information.

Yeah not trolling and your post starts with "In the latest outpouring of whinge," funny that murdoch media has such a massive hard on for hating harry

john_tullamarine
6th Jan 2023, 06:01
FYI I don't know if Dora-9 ever flew helicopters and have no idea what his attitude to young Harry may be, but he is a very experienced FW pilot. I wouldn't have thought him a troll.

By George
6th Jan 2023, 06:45
Dora-9 is no troll, a great bloke.
As for the Harry and Megan show I don’t know anybody who is not sick of it. If only they would go away. Every bloody day we get this dribble. Who the hell cares!

Senior Pilot
6th Jan 2023, 07:02
Prince Harry is quoted as stating "..he killed 25 Taliban...as an Apache helicopter pilot". My question is: was he actually the pilot?

Harry Wales was an Apache co-pilot gunner during his five month second tour of Afghanistan. I understand that means he was primarily responsible for the weapons systems whilst sharing flying as required by the pilot.

If your query, Dora-9 , relates to the quote that you made then technically yes, he was a qualified Apache pilot as part of the two man crew. I’m sure a brown job would be able to verify the actual sharing/allocation of duties better than me, however.

admikar
6th Jan 2023, 08:04
As already said, Apache crewmembers are both rated to fly either seat. So, yes, Harry was a pilot.
And he is more likely to kill people than back seater, both with gun and HF missiles. Only rockets are predominantly pilot's domain and even then co-op mode is used more than not.

WHBM
6th Jan 2023, 08:48
Dug out this morning by radio news are Harry's multiple interviews actually given by him at the time, which state the complete opposite of all this, how it was an honourable duty, how their principal role was deterrence, etc. I'm waiting for a journalist to ask him to reconcile the two accounts. My guess is the current words were devised/encouraged more by whoever is ghosting and/or editing the book.

_Agrajag_
6th Jan 2023, 09:44
Dug out this morning by radio news are Harry's multiple interviews actually given by him at the time, which state the complete opposite of all this, how it was an honourable duty, how their principal role was deterrence, etc. I'm waiting for a journalist to ask him to reconcile the two accounts. My guess is the current words were devised/encouraged more by whoever is ghosting and/or editing the book.

I clearly remember one interview with him in theatre, Camp Bastion I think, where a dick of an interviewer asked him about killing people. He just gave him a look that made it obvious the interview had asked a stupid question, given what his role was there. Can't remember the reply, but it was something like "WTF do you think?". What really amazes me is that people can be so thick as to think that anyone on active service in a war zone isn't going to have to kill people. It's what they are bloody well there for when it comes right down to it.

2Planks
6th Jan 2023, 10:19
What were the rules on previous cocaine use when he joined? I know it is slightly more lenient now but IIRC there was zero tolerance at this time.

_Agrajag_
6th Jan 2023, 10:45
What were the rules on previous cocaine use when he joined? I know it is slightly more lenient now but IIRC there was zero tolerance at this time.

How would anyone have known?

I'd smoked marijuana, taken acid, tried speed and a few other illegal substances before I joined. A lot of those that joined at the same time had done the same. No one would have been daft enough to come out and admit to it then or now. It would only have been an issue if he'd been using drugs after he joined, and from what little I've read from the leaks there's no indication he did. Was there routine drug testing during his time? There wasn't in mine.

Flugzeug A
6th Jan 2023, 10:56
Along these lines , does anyone else think it was a somewhat UN-good idea to mention he killed 25 of the opposition in Afghan’?
Yes , like many reading this , it was his job but the rest of you who have fought have ( relative ) anonymity , he doesn’t & is a ‘public figure’.
I know he’s got security but I bet he’s pi##ed off quite a few of the more committed / crazy section of Islam.
The ones that don’t forgive & are prepared to kill themselves & those around them...
I post this out of interest but I’m only half joking with the above!
Militant Islam hasn’t done anything ‘big’ in a while & they’re patient , I now won’t be too surprised if they have a go at him.

2Planks
6th Jan 2023, 11:04
There was drug testing in his time, but clearly enough time had elapsed. Clearly, his recruitment process would have been different from most. Anyone else would have been asked a direct question on drug use and in his situation would have to have lied to gain entry.

As for the line on his Afghan work, I don’t think I would have advertised this, especially as they appear obsessed with security.

melmothtw
6th Jan 2023, 11:42

My guess is his previous words were devised/encouraged by MoD/Palace comms advisers.

_Agrajag_
6th Jan 2023, 11:55
There was drug testing in his time, but clearly enough time had elapsed. Clearly, his recruitment process would have been different from most. Anyone else would have been asked a direct question on drug use and in his situation would have to have lied to gain entry.

Thought there might have been drug testing by then, thanks. I don't remember being asked the question about drug use in 1969, but if I was I must have lied about it, along with loads of others at that time!

As for the line on his Afghan work, I don’t think I would have advertised this, especially as they appear obsessed with security.

Just shows that the bloke's an idiot with poor judgement, but then that's been obvious for years, like the stupid Nazi uniform thing, along with a host of other ill-judged things he's said or done.

Thrust Augmentation
6th Jan 2023, 11:55
does anyone else think it was a somewhat UN-good idea to mention he killed 25 of the opposition in Afghan’?

UN-good is an UN-derstatement - couldn't quite believe what I was hearing on the news....

sandiego89
6th Jan 2023, 12:05
Don't forget it's written primarily for a USA readership, where such euphoria is commonplace......

Not to get in the way of your stereotyping, but it really is not. Contrary to popular belief, we do not all wear cowboys hats and wear camo.

T28B
6th Jan 2023, 12:33
Given that the question has been asked and answered, thoroughly, what remains is Jet Blast fodder - actually, it is no better than FOD - so I am closing this thread.
Please feel free to join the scrum on JB (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/649562-spare-prince-harry.html) if you want to have a go at H.W. and his recently published book.