PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Sarajevo (SJJ)

zbz_2
4th Jan 2023, 12:01
I recently traveled from Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) to UK. It was foggy as I arrived at SJJ for the flight to LTN that Friday morning but I could see from flight tracker site that the Wizz Air UK flight inbound was on time. The fog in Sarajevo didn’t clear as forecast, so duly the flight showed as delayed and then later cancelled. Passengers were offered accommodation and possibility of re-booking for the Monday (next Wizz Air flight due). (It was 23 Dec and I really fancied being home for Christmas so hastily booked Pegasus SJJ-SAW-STN to arrive in “London” 24hrs later.)

Flying back to BiH in the new year, we set off okay from LTN. 2.5 hours later Captain reported fog at SJJ and so we loitered for around 45 mins before flying north to Banja Luka (BNX) and a 5 hour coach trip to Sarajevo (still in the fog). But before we landed at BNX one of the passengers was most vocal to the cabin crew that this was just an excuse and that other airlines would land in that weather, and that the British pilot was too risk adverse.

All the accommodation & extra coaches put on must be really hurting the pocket of Wizz Air given the low ticket prices so I doubt they’d do it on a whim. Is there something particular about SJJ weather, or is it the A321 used, or something about radar/instrument configurations between airfield and aircraft? It does seem that other airlines were working out of SJJ (at least on the 23 Dec) which did seem to give a little credence what the vocal passenger was saying?

Does anyone else have any similar experience?

S.o.S.
4th Jan 2023, 15:53
Hell zbz_2 and welcome to the Cabin of PPRuNe. I do not of know of carriers that do such things on a whim! Sadly that passenger did not weigh up the balance of a safe landing for all on board against their relatives identifying their body. Flying has become so normal that most Pax have no idea at the complexities involved and why it is so safe. I have never been to SJJ but I expect someone who does will be along soon.