PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar and priorities

PoppaJo
3rd Jan 2023, 03:08
Who’s idea was this? Can we cut all this horse **** and stop pushing the fluffy cadet nonsense and perhaps fix the joint? Anyone? Tyrone, seriously….embarrassing.

Less time telling us about cadets and their pathways (who gives a F) and more time actually doing something like fixing this mess?

https://youtu.be/HuOWgeeasco

Lookleft
3rd Jan 2023, 03:48
Allegedly one of the participants was given 3 day off payments before they would agree to do it.

Stationair8
3rd Jan 2023, 03:53
Living the dream!

SHVC
3rd Jan 2023, 05:08
Allegedly one of the participants was given 3 day off payments before they would agree to do it.

I have heard this also, I bet the others got called of standby for it. Haha bloody hell.

cLeArIcE
3rd Jan 2023, 05:42
Wonder how many said no way until they found some people to agree to do it. :yuk:
Although, if they don't find some new crews with all theses aircraft coming, they'll be paying FOs a hell of a lot more days off.

ManillaChillaDilla
3rd Jan 2023, 06:24
The current situation is more precarious for the 787 crews than the elongated COVID stand down without pay.

It simply can not continue on this way.

Very concerning indeed.

MCD

Mr_App
3rd Jan 2023, 06:41
The reason why you won't see change here is the new CEO was appointed by the Group CEO, who then appointed and shuffled around her new management team for her. More chance of her going vs anyone under her who largely have no Fn clue however all have been appointed by Alan.

So yeah, sadly, it's likely just doom and gloom ahead. Not everyone can pack up and go to the states. Things are probably better at Virgin and that's saying something!

Brakerider
3rd Jan 2023, 06:45
The current situation is more precarious for the 787 crews than the elongated COVID stand down without pay.

It simply can not continue on this way.

Very concerning indeed.

MCD

Can you elaborate?

cLeArIcE
3rd Jan 2023, 07:38
No matter how incompetent or understaffed the operation is, the 787 makes money. If they wanted it gone it would have happened already. The 321neo frees The 787 for even more flying I can't see it going anywhere no matter how many pissed off pax there is.
$$$. That's all they care about.

ManillaChillaDilla
3rd Jan 2023, 07:51
" Can you elaborate ".

Yes.

Once again, many good people are VERY concerned about the longevity of their employment.

MCD

wellcamp_spud_7500
3rd Jan 2023, 11:05
"I'm 25 and i am flying an A320, thats pretty cool". Who's idea was it to let these insufferable children cadets into the RHS of a 78t jet? they all belong in a 210.

dr dre
3rd Jan 2023, 13:00
"I'm 25 and i am flying an A320, thats pretty cool". Who's idea was it to let these insufferable children cadets into the RHS of a 78t jet? they all belong in a 210.

Actually in a lot of the world 25 would be considered old to be starting in the RHS of a 320, and at 25 you’d be close to or actually in the left.

They got the job and meet the standard? Then good on em.

kimbobimbo
3rd Jan 2023, 15:09
Far out, and people call network pilots bin chickens… what sort of bird f’s itself? I’m no ornithologist but I don’t think there are any!

AviatoR21
4th Jan 2023, 01:02
The fact is if you all had the opportunity to take up a cadet program and sit in a jet as your first job you wouldn’t hesitate. No one in their right mind would trade a C210 job up in Darwin for a A320 job in your hometown. With that said, Jetstar has been one of the best places I’ve worked at, maybe that’s because it was the base and people. I say good on them, if they work hard they’ll do well.

Mr_App
4th Jan 2023, 04:48
With that said, Jetstar has been one of the best places I’ve worked at, maybe that’s because it was the base and people. I say good on them, if they work hard they’ll do well.
Just to be clear, you are referring to the Vietnam or Singapore offshoot correct?

josephfeatherweight
4th Jan 2023, 05:29
All the participants of the video look like they'd rather be starring in an ISIS beheading video than this one...

Ollie Onion
4th Jan 2023, 07:48
I was 23 in the RHS of a A321, that was after a couple of years DHC8-400 Command, don’t see what age has to do with it. Airline commands in your early to mid twenties are not that unusual in UK. and Europe. Why not avoid GA and go straight to the airline if you can.

PPRuNeUser0163
4th Jan 2023, 09:17
Maybe they should put Jetstar Jimmy in those ads?😅

Lookleft
4th Jan 2023, 09:29
Jetstar Jimmy left the building a while ago. He has gone where most of the cadets want to end up and that is in the back seat of a QF jet.

Ollie Onion
4th Jan 2023, 17:59
Where do I start with this...

so given two job offers, one for a GA company and one for an Airline seat you would choose GA?

rodney rude
4th Jan 2023, 20:01
If its money you're after -- straight to the airline. If you want to learn to fly properly, to build experience through experiences, to have fun, to have some great times worth speaking about, to fly for the joy of flying - go airlines later.

I've been in bars with crews and everyone is relating the funny times - being vomited on in the territory, having to return because one passenger left a thong behind, flying deceased indigenous people back to their homeland and seeing the ceremony that ensues, being lost, landing on little islands no-one from your school has ever heard of etc etc etc. These all make great memories. And the cadets sitting with us?? Nothing, they got nothing.............never been upside down, vomited on, landed on wrong dirt strip..........

Its absolutely horses for courses, no right or wrong. My course is the path of a "proper" aviation career experience - and I don't consider flying ILS to ILS onto big sealed strips with the autopilot building its flying skills anything but a job. Thats my take on a good career.

rockarpee
4th Jan 2023, 21:07
8 years GA in PNG 32 years QF, for me that was purrrfect. And plenty of war stories outa both.

Stationair8
4th Jan 2023, 21:47
Did Jetstar Jimmy find true love in the end?

PPRuNeUser0163
4th Jan 2023, 21:51
Jetstar Jimmy left the building a while ago. He has gone where most of the cadets want to end up and that is in the back seat of a QF jet.

not according to social media- still well ensconced in the JQ dream!

cLeArIcE
4th Jan 2023, 22:29
If cadets were a thing when I was in GA and I was good enough and smart enough to get in, absolutely I would have. Yes I would miss out on some experiences and some fun but I'd also miss out on being incredibly poor, living in Australia's biggest **** holes, flying some of Australia's worst aircraft, the dodgy maintenance, the dodgy operations managers the narcissistic owners etc. No war stories of course. I could live with that.

Back on topic, JQ is ******. But while people continue to buy a cheap ticket to Bali nothing will ever change. The trick to survival in JQ is:
Give zero *****. Be dead inside and under no circumstances try to show initiative or try to help. EVER!

Don't stress or get worked up when things happen, just do the minimum and don't care. When you see delays and passenger treated like ****, it also helps to remember that the only people JQ treat worse iS.. YOU the employee.

Lookleft
4th Jan 2023, 23:37
not according to social media- still well ensconced in the JQ dream!

I think you are getting your Jimmies mixed up. The prolific social media JQ pilot, well known to pilots even beyond Jetstar, is not the original Jimmie Jetstar. The social media star's name is not Jimmie, James or even Jim-Bob.

PoppaJo
5th Jan 2023, 00:27
Are you talking about the bloke with all the puppy and look at me shenanigans? The one who takes photos in company uniform then edits out the logo’s and what not?

Really pushing HR (and CPs) patience but that’s for another thread.

PPRuNeUser0163
5th Jan 2023, 01:34
I think you are getting your Jimmies mixed up. The prolific social media JQ pilot, well known to pilots even beyond Jetstar, is not the original Jimmie Jetstar. The social media star's name is not Jimmie, James or even Jim-Bob.

I know of both.. at least the former doesn’t prance around constantly on social media.

airdualbleedfault
5th Jan 2023, 01:55
If its money you're after -- straight to the airline. If you want to learn to fly properly, to build experience through experiences, to have fun, to have some great times worth speaking about, to fly for the joy of flying - go airlines later.

I've been in bars with crews and everyone is relating the funny times - being vomited on in the territory, having to return because one passenger left a thong behind, flying deceased indigenous people back to their homeland and seeing the ceremony that ensues, being lost, landing on little islands no-one from your school has ever heard of etc etc etc. These all make great memories. And the cadets sitting with us?? Nothing, they got nothing.............never been upside down, vomited on, landed on wrong dirt strip..........

Its absolutely horses for courses, no right or wrong. My course is the path of a "proper" aviation career experience - and I don't consider flying ILS to ILS onto big sealed strips with the autopilot building its flying skills anything but a job. Thats my take on a good career.
I'm with you Rod

Gnadenburg
5th Jan 2023, 03:29
If you are 25 years old and an A320 F/O flying for a low cost carrier in Australia, not only is it not a big deal, but what are you still doing here? Go to the States where aviation dreams come true. In Australia you will be slave to a mortgage and in an unrealised aviation poverty. It’s not a particularly interesting place to fly.

Ollie Onion
5th Jan 2023, 06:36

Thats funny, ‘learn to fly properly’, I have flown with a few sh*t pilots over the years and they are just as likely to come from GA.

dr dre
5th Jan 2023, 06:50
If you are 25 years old and an A320 F/O flying for a low cost carrier in Australia, not only is it not a big deal, but what are you still doing here? Go to the States where aviation dreams come true. In Australia you will be slave to a mortgage and in an unrealised aviation poverty. It’s not a particularly interesting place to fly.

So on one hand some say the cadets should go get “real experience in GA” and be vomited on flying in a higher risk environment for much lower pay, but on the other hand they should go to America and get paid more money to perform the same multi sector day airline gig, even though with the latest EBA total package for an F/O with allowances and overtime will be $150-200k, for an ENTRY level aviation job which is substantially higher than any entry level degree qualified job, or a FIFO gig?

Skippy69
5th Jan 2023, 06:50
The States aren't all it's cracked up to be. If you're from a rural area and you go and live somewhere like Chicago or DC, it's a massive adjustment. Horses for courses, it's not for some. Australia has it's draw backs, I'd much rather be an average Joe here in Aus than an average Joe in the US.

cloudsurfng
5th Jan 2023, 08:53
Oh cool. We’re doing the GA v cadet thingy again.

Gnadenburg
5th Jan 2023, 09:44
So on one hand some say the cadets should go get “real experience in GA” and be vomited on flying in a higher risk environment for much lower pay, but on the other hand they should go to America and get paid more money to perform the same multi sector day airline gig, even though with the latest EBA total package for an F/O with allowances and overtime will be $150-200k, for an ENTRY level aviation job which is substantially higher than any entry level degree qualified job, or a FIFO gig?

Actually I never recommended GA my slant was more adventure, rounded aviation experience and money. 40 years at Jetstar- don’t do it unless you have to. It’s nauseating just thinking of it.

I’m not sure if the Jetstar cadets are high achievers out of Uni, but the cadets I flew with often were. Aviation was boring by the time they were 30 and had done their 5 years to a Wonder Command. A far higher percentage seemed likely to be positioning themselves to get out of aviation very early, than the generation before them who were non-cadets.

If you are young, take your Oztronaut training into the big bad world and live a little. It’s amazing and do get educated financially before you leave. Depending on where you live and what you are paid you can set yourself up in a decade versus a lifetime of Aussie shark patrols in an A320.

Eclan
5th Jan 2023, 11:57
If you are young, take your Oztronaut training into the big bad world and live a little.
Great advice but if you do this try to resist at all costs the urge to tell everyone over there how it's done back in Australia, especially on subjects such as cold weather ops and the like.
Instead, just fly, learn and keep your trap shut.

cLeArIcE
5th Jan 2023, 13:16
Only JQ pilots could turn a thread from "look at this stupid video, waste of time and money whilst the joint burns down" to "cadets are bad and I'm better cause I spent pointless time in GA".. Who gives a ****? Everyone has different background and things to offer. If they can do the job who cares? I'd rather fly with them then some of the ex Ansett and RAAF **** wits going around.
No wonder we can't get a half decent EBA, we are too busy swinging our dicks at each other.

​​​​​​

Ollie Onion
5th Jan 2023, 20:40
Only JQ pilots could turn a thread from "look at this stupid video, waste of time and money whilst the joint burns down" to "cadets are bad and I'm better cause I spent pointless time in GA".. Who gives a ****? Everyone has different background and things to offer. If they can do the job who cares? I'd rather fly with them then some of the ex Ansett and RAAF **** wits going around.
No wonder we can't get a half decent EBA, we are too busy swinging our dicks at each other.

​​​​​​

100% Correct

Lookleft
5th Jan 2023, 21:15

Or taking selfies of them next to our ASICS and sending them to cabin crew!

dejapoo
6th Jan 2023, 02:06

Please go on....

73qanda
6th Jan 2023, 09:30
I did that once and she text back asking where she could get an over sized ASIC.

Lookleft
8th Jan 2023, 23:26
Please go on....

That is not even the weirdest way a pilot lost their job at Jetstar.

Australopithecus
9th Jan 2023, 06:02
That is not even the weirdest way a pilot lost their job at Jetstar.

Nope. That one still has to come to trial.

tossbag
9th Jan 2023, 06:22
The States aren't all it's cracked up to be. If you're from a rural area and you go and live somewhere like Chicago or DC, it's a massive adjustment. Horses for courses, it's not for some. Australia has it's draw backs, I'd much rather be an average Joe here in Aus than an average Joe in the US.

So, tell us about your 'average Joe' USA experience?

You'd rather live in the most over regulated country in the western world? Rather than live in a place where you can pretty much do anything you like without fear of prosecution. Except for healthcare at a pretty reasonable cost, everyone that's too scared to give the USA a go drags out that chestnut.

Mr_App
9th Jan 2023, 07:02
Nope. That one still has to come to trial.
The court case of the year resumes next Monday.

Skippy69
9th Jan 2023, 07:39
So, tell us about your 'average Joe' USA experience?

You'd rather live in the most over regulated country in the western world? Rather than live in a place where you can pretty much do anything you like without fear of prosecution. Except for healthcare at a pretty reasonable cost, everyone that's too scared to give the USA a go drags out that chestnut.

Have a read at what I've written Toss, I said it's not for some. Living in a mega city like Chicago isn't the life for some, if you've grown up chasing waterfalls in an endless summer in Aus' North, riding dirt bikes on the beach and heading out to go spearing or diving the Reef, yeah, living in America is as I said, "an adjustment" which for some isn't great or ideal, but Caxton cowboys more than welcome.

Not to mention it's only post Covid that wages have gone up (at the regionals), but so to has the cost of living, it's ok, but not that great.

So take your attitude and take it somewhere else.

Lookleft
9th Jan 2023, 08:27
The court case of the year resumes next Monday.

I was thinking more of the Barefoot Captain but the Campchair Checkie is vying for number one spot.

Mr_App
9th Jan 2023, 08:43
I was thinking more of the Barefoot Captain
Do go on.....🍿

Lookleft
9th Jan 2023, 09:48
That would be giving away too much. Phone a friend in Jetstar for the details.....

tossbag
9th Jan 2023, 21:31
Have a read at what I've written Toss, I said it's not for some. Living in a mega city like Chicago isn't the life for some, if you've grown up chasing waterfalls in an endless summer in Aus' North, riding dirt bikes on the beach and heading out to go spearing or diving the Reef, yeah, living in America is as I said, "an adjustment" which for some isn't great or ideal, but Caxton cowboys more than welcome.

So that could apply to moving to any Australian city I'm tipping.

Not to mention it's only post Covid that wages have gone up (at the regionals), but so too has the cost of living, it's ok, but not that great.

Yes, but they've gone up, yours haven't and won't.

So take your attitude and take it somewhere else.

I'm still waiting to hear about your 'average Joe' experience in the US, or is this just bull**** you've made up?

Lookleft
10th Jan 2023, 00:03
"You're on guard!"

Pearly White
10th Jan 2023, 23:20
Where do I start with this...
This was happening in the UK fifty years ago. BOAC/BEA had a training college at Hamble.

The Royal Air Force also had a similar operation based out of Cranwell. You may have heard of it.

The Australian model over the last umpteen decades s somewhat unique. It doesn't invalidate all the other pilot recruitment and training models.

dr dre
11th Jan 2023, 08:34
The Australian model over the last umpteen decades s somewhat unique. It doesn't invalidate all the other pilot recruitment and training models.

Actually “Australian model” isn’t even the sole method of pilot employment and training here. The first ab initio cadet/apprenticeship scheme started in Australia in the 1960s, and pretty much all airlines have employed them at some stage.

PPRuNeUser01531
11th Jan 2023, 09:00
Videos as such are just a waste of time and I feel for all involved.Basically they only highlight managements out of touch perceptions.JQ have many talented,enthusiastic,dedicated people and goodwill to them will go a long way to attracting more.

Angle of Attack
12th Jan 2023, 06:19
So what’s the deal with the massive number of JQ flight cancellations the last couple of months? Is it Crew shortage or some other reason? (I don’t work at JQ)

lucille
26th Aug 2023, 06:50
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1080x1032/8c6cfc1e_e838_41c1_bc33_765fb6ded296_e9727315e75ea114cbc1f8d d9d30ba651fd732cf.jpeg
At least one passenger regrets not flying Jetstar.

Abroad145
26th Aug 2023, 08:36

Totally agree.
Been here in the US for 6 years now and loath it.
Can't wait to get out.

Mr Mossberg
26th Aug 2023, 16:48
6 years, mmm. At least you're persistant. Let's hope that Jetstar, Qantas, Virgin, Network, Alliance, NJS or REX will recognise your skill and pick you up.

neville_nobody
26th Aug 2023, 22:38
Airline Pilots’ in the US aren’t average joes by any stretch. Australia is a welfare state by comparison so sure those on lower incomes in Australia probably do better than the US and that’s why many airline pilots in Australia on a 46% tax rate.

kellykelpie
27th Aug 2023, 00:27
6 years, mmm. At least you're persistant. Let's hope that Jetstar, Qantas, Virgin, Network, Alliance, NJS or REX will recognise your skill and pick you up.

Aren’t you banned Tossbag?

PoppaJo
27th Aug 2023, 02:39
Good to see the nonsense videos have stopped, not.

lucille
27th Aug 2023, 03:53
Totally agree.
Can't wait to get out.

Sorry to hear that. We were the opposite.

Depends a lot on which state and city you’re living in. They are all quite different in culture and style as are the residents.

We were in Florida for 4 years and loved it. Would have considered retiring there but for the crippling cost of health insurance and their caveats.

in the end, if you loath it that much, resign and come back. Better to be happy here rather than being miserable just hanging on for the big bucks in the US.

XanaduX
27th Aug 2023, 05:19
Totally agree.
Can't wait to get out.

There's no better time to join Jetstar than now with new aircraft coming and lots of bases to choose from. Doesn't pay as well as the US mainlines but much better than their regionals.

Mr Mossberg
27th Aug 2023, 09:28
Aren't you banned Tossbag?

Say what?

Reading Tossbag's posts, bit aggressive don't you think?

Although, he or she does seem to have an extraoadinarily high number of post likes.

Ranger290
28th Aug 2023, 04:23
There's no better time to join Jetstar than now with new aircraft coming and lots of bases to choose from. Doesn't pay as well as the US mainlines but much better than their regionals.

Almost guaranteed the US regionals are paying better