PDA

View Full Version : on TV Tonight

Blackfriar
1st Jan 2023, 12:03
Bristol Wayfarer MkIIA G-AIFV of Silver City Airways features in the film "The man in the Sky" on Talking Pictures TV tonight (1st Jan).
Jack Hawkins is a test pilot for a new freighter aircraft in this 1957 Ealing production.
Three heavy vehicles on board including a Rolls-Royce plus the potential buyer and manufacturer's staff.
I don't know how much real aircraft action there is, but might be worth a look for fans of ye olde piston types.

BEagle
1st Jan 2023, 12:26
Great old movie - I have it on DVD! Filmed at the old Wolverhamton Pendeford airport and some nice 1950's memories as well as plenty of flying sequences.

RATO shots must be unique!

Not an 'all action' movie, but a classic of gentler times!

treadigraph
1st Jan 2023, 13:05
I've got it as well. Well worth a watch!

Self loading bear
1st Jan 2023, 13:20
Also on Netflix

chevvron
1st Jan 2023, 13:24
Great old movie - I have it on DVD! Filmed at the old Wolverhamton Pendeford airport and some nice 1950's memories as well as plenty of flying sequences.

RATO shots must be unique!

Not an 'all action' movie, but a classic of gentler times!
The person who played the air traffic controller was Raymond Francis who later played a policemen in series lke 'Murder Bag' and 'No Hiding Place'.

longer ron
1st Jan 2023, 13:39
The Freighter was damaged during the 'Emergency Landing' scene.
Quite an interesting film even if only for the background scenes/snapshot in time.

Kiltrash
1st Jan 2023, 14:25
7pm UK time

chevvron
1st Jan 2023, 15:53
Showing 1510 ro 1700 on Ch 82; 'Mr Denning drives north'.(1951/2)
Missed most of it but apparently it involves John Mills crashing a Miles Hawk (mock up).
Interior shots showed John Mills as an aircraft engineer in a factory which looked like it was producing Princes or Pembrokes together with what looked like a Leonides on a stand so possibly Luton?
Shot out of the window showed a lattice work control tower, very tall.
The plot involves Mills accidentally killing his daughter's boyfriend then hiding the body which goes missing, but that's not important.

LTNman
1st Jan 2023, 17:55
Some of Mr Denning drives north was indeed shot at Luton