PDA

View Full Version : Military Division of the New Year Honours 2023

Union Jack
30th Dec 2022, 21:44
The Military Division of the New Year Honours 2023

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-military-division-of-the-new-year-honours-2023

Jack

MostlyHarmless
31st Dec 2022, 09:47
You know you've been out a while when you no longer recognise any names on the lists :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
31st Dec 2022, 10:14
You know you've been out a while when you no longer recognise any names on the lists :rolleyes:

Yes, most of my students have retired now. Even the gate guardians that I flew have been replaced a couple of times since…

langleybaston
31st Dec 2022, 10:17
Nothing for G G Bearerr party HM the Queen funeral?
i think there was precedent?
The nation's breath was held for them.

Bob Viking
31st Dec 2022, 10:25
There was one thing that jumped out at me from the list but I’m not going to say it.

BV

Ken Scott
31st Dec 2022, 10:40
Oh go on, BV, don’t tease us…

langleybaston
31st Dec 2022, 11:05
Please whip me, whip me, said the masochist.

Ceratinaly not, said the sadist.

Union Jack
31st Dec 2022, 12:19
Please whip me, whip me, said the masochist.

Ceratinaly not, said the sadist.

Can't help wondering of LB has "warmed the bell" with his New Year celebrations....:hmm:

Jack

langleybaston
31st Dec 2022, 13:15
Can't help wondering of LB has "warmed the bell" with his New Year celebrations....:hmm:

Jack
Its a very old joke, but you need to be a sadist or masochist to understand it. Or spell certainly.

As to LB and his libations, no: we both have the very nasty cold ["not a flu, no fever, and not Covid, tested"].
Caught the bugger in church, there is a lesson somewhere there.

Please what about the bearer party: was it for the late King, or Churchill, all the party were honoured?

dervish
31st Dec 2022, 13:26

Parties.
Perhaps waiting for the King's Birthday list?

Wensleydale
31st Dec 2022, 13:28
Its a very old joke, but you need to be a sadist or masochist to understand it. Or spell certainly.

As to LB and his libations, no: we both have the very nasty cold ["not a flu, no fever, and not Covid, tested"].
Caught the bugger in church, there is a lesson somewhere there.

Please what about the bearer party: was it for the late King, or Churchill, all the party were honoured?

It could be that all applications for honours for this list had to be "in" by September. It may be appropriate for the bearer party to be included in the King's first birthday/coronation honours list?

NutLoose
31st Dec 2022, 15:38

That’s the one thing I looked for, the rest is just the usual dross, trinkets for simply being promoted, all bar the MBE’s who actually probably did something to be awarded them.

downsizer
31st Dec 2022, 17:33
That’s the one thing I looked for, the rest is just the usual dross, trinkets for simply being promoted, all bar the MBE’s who actually probably did something to be awarded them.

Yawn......

Big Pistons Forever
31st Dec 2022, 17:46
In the RAF list 10 of 29 recipients at all levels were women. Out of curiosity what is the male female ratio in the RAF ?

Jimlad1
31st Dec 2022, 18:28
Nominations are usually done some months in advance and need to be cleared and approved - so not surprising HMTQ burial party not on it this time. Suspect Kings Birthday Honours, as the first one of his reign is likely point it will happen.

langleybaston
31st Dec 2022, 19:08
In the RAF list 10 of 29 recipients at all levels were women. Out of curiosity what is the male female ratio in the RAF ?

Its rather more complicated these days, not binary as I am informed.

downsizer
31st Dec 2022, 19:48
Its rather more complicated these days, not binary as I am informed.

Can you explain please?

Archimedes
31st Dec 2022, 20:19
Can you explain please?

I suspect LB means that there is a small number of personnel who define themselves as being 'non-binary', and who consider themselves neither male nor female?

The govt stats last year (2021) were that women represented 15% of regular strength and 23% of the reserves.

langleybaston
31st Dec 2022, 23:05
I suspect LB means that there is a small number of personnel who define themselves as being 'non-binary', and who consider themselves neither male nor female?

The govt stats last year (2021) were that women represented 15% of regular strength and 23% of the reserves.

Correct regarding non-binary, thank you.
Happy New year, if possible.

NutLoose
1st Jan 2023, 00:28

They could simply make them Dames, that appears to work in the Panto season.

SLXOwft
2nd Jan 2023, 13:21
A belated Happy New Year to all.

Glad to see there was at least one aviation related award among the RN recipients.

It's thanks in large part to Reservist aircrewman Chief Petty Officer Mark Spencer that the Commando Helicopter Force have better trained crew in the Merlin Mk4 helicopter, which carries Royal Marines into battle.

Mark, who serves at RNAS Yeovilton in Somerset, has been instrumental in the Rear Crew Trainer simulator – the first of its kind which will revolutionise the way in which aircrew train.

It’s the task of the rear crew to ensure the safety of up to two dozen commandos and their kit, as well as support the pilots, operate the machine-guns in a combat zone, land/take-off in tight spots and secure loads safely beneath the helicopter.

Mark has pulled out all the stops to ensure the software/simulator not only works but improves the training delivered to aircrewmen, to the benefit of front-line operations. He receives the MBE for his outstanding efforts.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2022/december/29/20223012-ny-honours

I also see that Call me Dave's favourite Royal got a CB; I increasingly wish I'd put fifty quid on him becoming Commandant-General back in 2010 :)