PDA

View Full Version : Guests

ZFT
28th Dec 2022, 08:33
What is it with this new craze with airlines calling passengers ‘Guests’?

A guest is someone whom is invited into somewhere, not charged for the privilege, not made to remove items of clothing, not subjected to hours of queuing and certainly not told when one can and cannot stand up.

As long as we are paying for the tickets, we are (rule abiding) paying passengers, no more, no less.

DaveReidUK
28th Dec 2022, 08:51
Last time I was a hotel guest, I was charged for the privilege.

Should I ask for my money back ? :O

Asturias56
28th Dec 2022, 09:29
"What is it with this new craze with airlines calling passengers ‘Guests’?"

its shorter than Passengers or Customers?

SpringHeeledJack
28th Dec 2022, 09:50
SLF innit ?

The trend to change monikers to aggrandise the position or person has been underway for years, so I suppose this is but a logical next step. Cramped in the back of economy stretches things to a limit though. I await 'esteemed guest' and rose petals tossed along the gangway into the flying chariot some time soon.

:-)

ZFT
28th Dec 2022, 10:15
Last time I was a hotel guest, I was charged for the privilege.

Should I ask for my money back ? :O
I would also suggest you were a customer as apposed to being a guest but yes, hotels were probably the first to abuse the term.

Asturias56
28th Dec 2022, 13:35
Well TBF "guests" at Hotels and Inns goes back several hundred years

B2N2
28th Dec 2022, 13:46
Cambridge dictionary:

a person who is travelling in a vehicle, or on a train or plane, but is not driving it, flying it, or working on it

From the many different meanings of the word ‘Guest’ none of them come close to describing a passenger.

IBMJunkman
28th Dec 2022, 14:17
If I accept money for labor I am not an associate, team member, etc. I am an employee.

DaveReidUK
28th Dec 2022, 14:53
From the many different meanings of the word ‘Guest’ none of them come close to describing a passenger.

One of the wonderful things about the English language* is that very few pairs of words are 100% synonymous with each other.

There are, however, many thousands of word pairs that overlap partially in meaning.

* Other languages and other wonderful things are available. :O

aerobelly
28th Dec 2022, 18:16
What is it with this new craze with airlines calling passengers ‘Guests’?

A guest is someone whom is invited into somewhere, not charged for the privilege, not made to remove items of clothing,

Perhaps you have the wrong sort of friends.....

28th Dec 2022, 18:40
A ‘guest’ is not limited to male or female like a lady and a gentleman.

On Track
28th Dec 2022, 19:46
Cruise ship companies are guilty of the same offence.

B2N2
28th Dec 2022, 20:13
One of the wonderful things about the English language* is that very few pairs of words are 100% synonymous with each other.

There are, however, many thousands of word pairs that overlap partially in meaning.

* Other languages and other wonderful things are available. :O

So explain to me please how a dictionary explains ‘passenger’.
Passenger infers motion and departure and destination aka transportation.
The use of the word ‘guest’ simultaneously with their made up kaste boarding system of Platinum, Diamond, Gold, Silver and Peasant is an insult to intelligence.

A Pandy
28th Dec 2022, 21:27
Just another example of corporations subverting a language to try and fool people into either feeling good about themselves or trying to deceive them of their true intentions.It is prevalent here in the US. For example you don't discipline someone you "coach"them, you don't experience a failure you have an"opportunity". You are not an employee you are an associate and a member of the corporate family. It is all BS of course.
With regards to guests, the US store Target has guests and not customers. In some ways I can accept hotels referring to guests as it implies hospitality which is the business they are engaged in. However, airlines and guests? That implies airlines and hospitality. Now that is an interesting concept. I wonder when back in the mists of ancient times that last occurred.

ZFT
29th Dec 2022, 06:27
Perhaps you have the wrong sort of friends.....

With the majority of my friends being of a similar age, it wouldnt be a pretty sight!

MENELAUS
29th Dec 2022, 18:39
Whatever happened to just calling them punters ?

Donkey497
5th Jan 2023, 21:22
What am I?

Cargo?
Paying Cargo?
Complaining Cargo?
The inconvenient & inconsiderate part of the flying deal that pays some of the wages?

Probably all used for us at some point in time, but I consider myself a passenger, I do respond to Self Loading Freight, but I don't consider myself a "Guest", especially on the North American cattle truck services

DaveReidUK
5th Jan 2023, 21:54
What am I?

Cargo?
Paying Cargo?
Complaining Cargo?
The inconvenient & inconsiderate part of the flying deal that pays some of the wages?

Probably all used for us at some point in time, but I consider myself a passenger, I do respond to Self Loading Freight, but I don't consider myself a "Guest", especially on the North American cattle truck services

Hmmm.

Once one has accepted being described as "self-loading freight", complaining about other descriptions being applied seems rather pointless.

25F
5th Jan 2023, 23:38
Hmmm.

Once one has accepted being described as "self-loading freight", complaining about other descriptions being applied seems rather pointless.
Not the first time a derogatory term has been embraced by the community to which it was applied!

Alsacienne
6th Jan 2023, 12:18
'guest' .... IMHO means a person or animal who has had any payment required met by a third party ...