PDA

View Full Version : iPad mini case and leg strap advice

Sir Korsky
24th Dec 2022, 19:18
Just bought an IPad Mini for Foreflight. Any advice on best hard case and/or leg strap that you've experienced and found functional ? Want to mount on leg and not by any other method.

Thanks folks and Merry Christmas !

Bug
24th Dec 2022, 20:16
Merry Christmas.
I have had a MyClip ipad strap mount for some years. It has been very good. Holds iPad securely and adjustable for various size iPad types.
Not inexpensive, but works well.
Video below is for aerobatics, but it is the first video I could find.

Search for myclipforipad

https://youtu.be/mB_w90G3SYM

unknown.mp3
24th Dec 2022, 22:57
If you intend to use the iPad only, then I would suggest you use the Pivot T21A iPad case/cover coupled with the Pivot leg strap. They are not cheap, but I have tried a couple different setups and the Pivot is most comfortable, robust, reliable and versatile.

Phoinix
25th Dec 2022, 07:57
Spot on topic, thx. What do you use for keeping the apple pencil in reach... bump it away from the ipad, you have it on the floor or somewhere unreachable.

OvertHawk
25th Dec 2022, 08:43
The Otter Case is excellent if you need a robust case to give some protection depending on the environment you're operating in.

Flying Bull
25th Dec 2022, 09:29
Hi Sir Korsky,

I adopted my Paper Kneeboard.
Added a hinge, so that I can flip the iPad mini to the side, allowing to take notes with a pencil - having a sheet of paper with information and so on.
To protect the iPad mini it is in a case. For that case a 3D printed clip glued on the hinge allows fast positioning or removing of the iPad mini.

Tip: with Assistive Touch you can bring up a button on the screen which you can configure.
On mine it opens a menu with: Control (for brightness, loudness, Bluetooth, plan and so on), an extra home button, screencapture and most important - screen off.
So with two touches you can switch the screen off instead of looking for the switch - saving battery when needed

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1200x1361/ipad_halter_0e2a072d8a36618ef58bcd2c350141deda2ac44e.jpg
iPad mini Kneeboard

awair
25th Dec 2022, 09:59
I have used MyGoFlight for several years.

Althogh it’s designed to be used with various optional clamps (which are excellent), the mini case has two parallel rails and a long Velcro strap to aid a knee-mounting option.

All their kit is expensive, but durable. I appreciate the flexibility of the system.

Hot and Hi
25th Dec 2022, 14:30
Merry Christmas.
I have had a MyClip ipad strap mount for some years. It has been very good. Holds iPad securely and adjustable for various size iPad types.
Not inexpensive, but works well.
Video below is for aerobatics, but it is the first video I could find.

Search for myclipforipad

https://youtu.be/mB_w90G3SYM

I agree, myclip is perfect for this. I used it for years. Until I didnt want to accept the headaches anymore caused by the constant neck down / neck up movements. (Then I mounted the iPad higher, just high enough to be able to see by moving my eyeballs down, but without neck movement. However, the OP explicitly said that he didn’t want to hear reasons why kneeboarding is not the right approach in the first place…)

Myclip doesn’t allow to hold or charge the Apple Pencil. I do not recommend to use the Apple Pencil in flight anyway: it is too finicky and the batteries in the pencil tend to be flat when you need the pen most. Be this as it may, almost no cradle is able to securely hold *and* charge the pen.

You can always write down your clearances with your finger in fore flight and all other nav apps.

Also, obviously, in flight (unless you using autopilot) you operate the nav apps on the iPad comfortably with your left hand, while most people can only handwrite with their right hand.

Sir Korsky
25th Dec 2022, 15:37
Thanks for everybody's input. I seem to be 'pivoting' to the Pivot system here. Strap and case around $200 - which ain't cheap, but it looks well made. How sturdy/reliable is the mount when affixed to the leg strap ? I also like the alternative option of being able to mount the case/device on a suction cup, if I fall for the eyes down/neck ache issues reported here.

gipsymagpie
25th Dec 2022, 21:27
Thanks for everybody's input. I seem to be 'pivoting' to the Pivot system here. Strap and case around $200 - which ain't cheap, but it looks well made. How sturdy/reliable is the mount when affixed to the leg strap ? I also like the alternative option of being able to mount the case/device on a suction cup, if I fall for the eyes down/neck ache issues reported here.
Rock solid mounting system - we use it commercially. You can opt for their kneeboard with a pivot mount insert but probably not worth it. The suction cup mount they do is rock solid too. When the pencil is attached and the case cover is on, the pencil is held securely. In flight it has two options for securing the pencil...either the magnetic slot or a stronger physical clip. I have use an iPad pro a lot with a pencil 2 for instruction and making notes in flight using a pivot mount. Nothing else comes close for me. Dropped it, bashed it - never had a problem with damage to the iPad. For some versions of pivot cases, they had rubber inserts to cover the volume/power buttons and these could fall out but I think they've removed them in later versions.

unknown.mp3
25th Dec 2022, 23:07
Spot on topic, thx. What do you use for keeping the apple pencil in reach... bump it away from the ipad, you have it on the floor or somewhere unreachable.

The Pivot case allows for the Apple Pencil to be docked as per normal.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V_VBClJjvQ4&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Interesting to hear what others are using though. I have also tried the RAM EZ roll'r case with a knee strap but I think the clamping pressure on the iPad is a bit to heavy.

malabo
26th Dec 2022, 05:39
My iPad kneeboard is hinged at the bottom with a folding spacer allowing it to tilt up about 30 degrees for better viewing. Ram slider-mount, though even a couple Velcro pads work ok. Secured to my leg with a simple wide elastic strap with Velcro on the ends.

Like to rest my cyclic arm on my thigh though, so prefer the mounted powered versions like you see from progressive helicopter manufacturers replacing the old approach plate holders.

Bravo73
26th Dec 2022, 14:57
These are much cheaper than some of the options above:

AV8TOR - Kneeboards | EPS | Marchalling Wands (http://av8tor.co.uk/items.php?itemscatid=1&itemssubid=1)

Sir Korsky
16th Jan 2023, 00:24
Well ended up going with the Pivot system. Expensive yes, but looks well made and the adaptability may come in useful in the future. Was $200 including the tough feeling leg strap and I like the large Velcro pads which makes sure it stays firmly on your leg. It doesn't seem to foul the controls, both Helo and FW. Leg is the best place for me, but nice to know I can transplant it to a yoke or suction cup mount in the future if need be. Recommended for sure, especially with the reverse mount storage, to enclose the iPad and keep the screen protected in your flight bag. Thanks for your help gang.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/744x1223/pivot_b59a6e5af66214502a31fb0b40476c2ef0959ab4.jpg

unknown.mp3
16th Jan 2023, 23:35
Enjoy, I hope it serves you well. The rubber casing around both cases were stiff at first, but after using it for a bit - it does get more flexible.

Phoinix
17th Jan 2023, 11:27
And you can still use the pencil with the pivot. The price is out of this world... to ship to EU, all taxes and shipping, I get to 340€ (370 USD).