PDA

View Full Version : More vintage air show stuff!

Finningley Boy
23rd Dec 2022, 19:31
(421) Battle of Britain Air Display 1963 at Aldergrove N. Ireland - YouTube

I stumbled upon this gem, its RAF Aldergrove Battle of Britain display 14 September 1963, worth remembering that it was only one of 15 B o B displays across the country the same day! Look out for the unusually punchy display by USAF F-100s toward the end of the footage.

FB

pr00ne
24th Dec 2022, 08:39
(421) Battle of Britain Air Display 1963 at Aldergrove N. Ireland - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07cEGnWDvE)

I stumbled upon this gem, its RAF Aldergrove Battle of Britain display 14 September 1963, worth remembering that it was only one of 15 B o B displays across the country the same day! Look out for the unusually punchy display by USAF F-100s toward the end of the
FB

59 years ago!

Yet another totally irrelevant thread to Military aviation.

This sort of post really belongs in the Aviation History and nostalgia thread rather than cluttering up the Military Aviation thread.

charliegolf
24th Dec 2022, 08:42
Grinch!

nevillestyke
24th Dec 2022, 10:02
Just to make it a merry Christmas for pr00ne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrsBTAMScRI

chevvron
24th Dec 2022, 12:17
Visited Aldergrove on 29 Jun 1963 and got a 2 hour flight in Shackleton MR2 WR966. We were on summer camp at Ballykelly at the time but the runways were being re-surfaced so they trucked us to Aldergrove; I think this was just before Nutts Corner closed in 1963 so it would have been totally military.
Next visit was 11 Jul 1974 in a Trident G-ARPB from Heathrow and boy had it changed!.

Finningley Boy
24th Dec 2022, 15:40
59 years ago!

This sort of post really belongs in the Aviation History and nostalgia thread rather than cluttering up the Military Aviation thread.

I'm sure they're all military aircraft in shot pr00ne, would you prefer to see them vapourising a few bad guys instead as nature intended?

FB

PS Ok not current, but I didn't know there was an age limit for subjects on this forum.
PPS Just think pr00ne, 59 years ago and supersonic jets were common place, as now, 59 years before that was 1904, just a year after the Wright Flyer just about took to the air! Which 59 years have seen the fastest development do you think, in terms of aviation technology?

Coltishall. loved it
24th Dec 2022, 17:42
Thank you FB. Enjoyed it, Just think of all the old footage in peoples attics that will never see the light of day and will be skipped when they pass away during the house clearance, sad. We need to speak to our elders and get that footage online before it's too late.

Brings back memories of a lovely lady neirbour who passed away around 10 years ago. She was one of the original trolly dollies who was in her 80's when she passed. She flew on Lancastrians after the war and she showed me her passports and all the amazing "stamps" in them where she had been over her career.

After she passed away, her sister had binned them, which I retrieved and saved a piece of history (they never did get on)

pr00ne
24th Dec 2022, 18:12
I'm sure they're all military aircraft in shot pr00ne, would you prefer to see them vapourising a few bad guys instead as nature intended?

FB

PS Ok not current, but I didn't know there was an age limit for subjects on this forum.
PPS Just think pr00ne, 59 years ago and supersonic jets were common place, as now, 59 years before that was 1904, just a year after the Wright Flyer just about took to the air! Which 59 years have seen the fastest development do you think, in terms of aviation technology?

Which is why there is a thread on Pprune in the Misc Forums called “Aviation History and Nostalgia” rather than cluttering up THIS forum which is supposed to be contemporary military aviation!

Big Pistons Forever
24th Dec 2022, 18:25
The headline for this forum

Military Aviation: A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

I don't see any requirement that posts can only deal with "contemporary military aviation"

In any case military experience and lessons are often timeless. The linebacker II thread is a good example.

pr00ne
24th Dec 2022, 18:33
The headline for this forum

Military Aviation: A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

I don't see any requirement that posts can only deal with "contemporary military aviation"

In any case military experience and lessons are often timeless. The linebacker II thread is a good example.

Which totally ignores the existence of a forum on Pprune called “Aviation History and Nostalgia”

SASless
24th Dec 2022, 18:53
So then Proone....we shall. hear no more of the BBMF.....Lanc's, Spits, or Hurries here at Military Aviation......if we use your logic!

No more yarns of past exploits or of Cranditz either I guess.

Personally I am all for such Threads that have a link however tennis to Military Aviation.

Coltishall. loved it
24th Dec 2022, 18:54
Get a life matey....FFS

Senior Pilot
24th Dec 2022, 20:14
Which is why there is a thread Forum on Pprune in the Misc Forums called “Aviation History and Nostalgia” rather than cluttering up THIS forum which is supposed to be contemporary military aviation!

And in the Spirit of Christmas, there is a thread started over on AH&N for the denizens there to contribute to .

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas and enjoy this thread 👍 🎄

West Coast
24th Dec 2022, 20:16
Great post FB!

There was a contributor a few years back who posted some amazing Phantom images, this is right up there with his.

Bill Macgillivray
25th Dec 2022, 19:58
Oh dear! 'tis the season of goodwill, surely! Not that important as to postings - surely! Merry Christmas to ALL on pprune!
Bill

megan
26th Dec 2022, 01:12
15 posts and 3 of those are someone having a rant. Thanks for posting FB, you made one chaps Xmas.

NumptyAussie
26th Dec 2022, 06:10
59 years ago!

So, you clicked on a post that has vintage in its title, just so you could have a bleat! What a miserable existence you must have!

Steve Bond
26th Dec 2022, 08:06
Great video, thanks for sharing it. I was at the Abingdon show that day, equally memorable.

DaveReidUK
26th Dec 2022, 10:43
Personally I am all for such Threads that have a link however tennis to Military Aviation.

I think including sporting activities is going a bit too far ...

treadigraph
26th Dec 2022, 10:53
I think including sporting activities is going a bit too far ...
Could have been a display at Badminton? Think they had the Gloster Shuttlecock there...

Lyneham Lad
26th Dec 2022, 11:58
Just to make it a merry Christmas for pr00ne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrsBTAMScRI

How very nostalgic - watching a full complement of Sparrows displaying! ;)

Finningley Boy
27th Dec 2022, 13:34
Thank you FB. Enjoyed it, Just think of all the old footage in peoples attics that will never see the light of day and will be skipped when they pass away during the house clearance, sad. We need to speak to our elders and get that footage online before it's too late.

Brings back memories of a lovely lady neirbour who passed away around 10 years ago. She was one of the original trolly dollies who was in her 80's when she passed. She flew on Lancastrians after the war and she showed me her passports and all the amazing "stamps" in them where she had been over her career.

After she passed away, her sister had binned them, which I retrieved and saved a piece of history (they never did get on)
You're welcome Sir, I understand fully what you mean about retrieving archive film, my father had a collection of 8mm colour film, as seen in my link, it dated back to the 1950s and petered out about the beginning of the 1970s. It had many gems such as my christening back in early 1961, scenes of family occasions such as Christmas etc in a house in Kilwinning called Urana, which still stands across from the river Garnock today. There was also footage of Finningley air show in 1966. When he passed away in 1976, my mother handed the projector, screen and recorded reels over to her brother, my uncle. I've not seen them since, I wasn't happy at the time and all attempts to retrieve them have failed thus far. They last ended up in the hands of my aunt following a divorce settlement. I once had the opportunity to express my wish just to retrieve the reels to place them all on DVD set to music of the era, this was to give to my mother as a Birthday present. My uncle was unhelpful, refusing to give any contact details for my aunt, I think he honestly thought I was using this as some sort of excuse for poking my nose in unhelpfully between them. I haven't given up, my cousin is now my last hope via social media. But anyway I've rambled on as oft happens here, but I'm right with you, preservation of film footage is essential to help properly understand history, all the best fellah.

FB

Coltishall. loved it
27th Dec 2022, 15:40
You're welcome Sir, I understand fully what you mean about retrieving archive film, my father had a collection of 8mm colour film, as seen in my link, it dated back to the 1950s and petered out about the beginning of the 1970s. It had many gems such as my christening back in early 1961, scenes of family occasions such as Christmas etc in a house in Kilwinning called Urana, which still stands across from the river Garnock today. There was also footage of Finningley air show in 1966. When he passed away in 1976, my mother handed the projector, screen and recorded reels over to her brother, my uncle. I've not seen them since, I wasn't happy at the time and all attempts to retrieve them have failed thus far. They last ended up in the hands of my aunt following a divorce settlement. I once had the opportunity to express my wish just to retrieve the reels to place them all on DVD set to music of the era, this was to give to my mother as a Birthday present. My uncle was unhelpful, refusing to give any contact details for my aunt, I think he honestly thought I was using this as some sort of excuse for poking my nose in unhelpfully between them. I haven't given up, my cousin is now my last hope via social media. But anyway I've rambled on as oft happens here, but I'm right with you, preservation of film footage is essential to help properly understand history, all the best fellah.

FB
Totally agree FB. As a lot of us are getting of a certain age? It's rather sad to here of family feuds over trivial stuff like old footage of aircraft etc, not to mention "who has the medals?" Incidentally....can anyone explain why on old 8mm film, there is always a "pubic hair" bottom RHS of shot lol !