PDA

View Full Version : Azerbaijan Goss

tossbag
23rd Dec 2022, 06:02
What's the Azerbaijan goss?

aussieflyboy
23rd Dec 2022, 06:13
Intermittent cargo smoke indication. Precautionary diversion.

tossbag
23rd Dec 2022, 06:39
So in other words a Qantas Cessna horrifyingly death plunged towards a former Russian territory. Russian sympathising rebels held the passengers and crew hostage until the aircraft was refuelled, it then left for Heathrow after the passengers had their 15 minutes of fame, while regaling the worlds media about their terrifying experience? Or it just landed?

PoppaJo
23rd Dec 2022, 07:05
Now the fun begins. Trying to get the passengers out. If they fired the bottles then you can kiss goodbye the A380 schedule for the next week. Press are already having a field day about this I see.

C441
23rd Dec 2022, 07:17
If they fired the bottles then you can kiss goodbye the A380 schedule for the next week.
Or they can just leave the hold empty and arrange for the bags to be sent later. Some would probably argue they may get there sooner!

KRviator
23rd Dec 2022, 07:39
Or they can just leave the hold empty and arrange for the bags to be sent later. Some would probably argue they may get there sooner!Every chance of that. Swissport aren't involved....

biscuit74
23rd Dec 2022, 09:59
Presumably at that point on a flight from Singapore to London, there are fairly few airfields available which can take an A380? Hence the precautionary 180 over Georgia.

Can, say, Ankara or Athens take 380s? Perhaps folk more knowledgeable than I will comment?

AerialPerspective
23rd Dec 2022, 11:11
Presumably at that point on a flight from Singapore to London, there are fairly few airfields available which can take an A380? Hence the precautionary 180 over Georgia.

Can, say, Ankara or Athens take 380s? Perhaps folk more knowledgeable than I will comment?

I believe one of the terminals at Buka was modified a while back to provide two A380 capable aerobridge bays. Not sure if LH or EY operate A380s there but they do operate something to the airport.

C441
23rd Dec 2022, 11:23
…..Can, say, Ankara or Athens take 380s? Perhaps folk more knowledgeable than I will comment?
There's a few available, company approved options after Baku. Trabzon, Ankara, Istanbul, Larnaca and Athens are all usable alternates for diversion following a significant failure such as this one.

rodney rude
23rd Dec 2022, 20:12
Aerial, Last time I was at Buka the terminal was just a little tin hut for the Paps to keep out of the sun.

Capt Fathom
23rd Dec 2022, 21:22
Would appear to more than a tin hut now. Quite a modern facility.

Going Nowhere
23rd Dec 2022, 21:34
Looks like a replacement is about to ferry ex SYD to GYD to collect everyone.

prickly
23rd Dec 2022, 23:38
Looks like a replacement is about to ferry ex SYD to GYD to collect everyone.
How would you feel, called out from standby on Christmas Eve to go to Azerbaijan for God knows how long, guess thats why they get the big bucks.

1a sound asleep
23rd Dec 2022, 23:58
Airbus A380-842, VH-OQD, MSN 026 departed Sydney as flight QF QF6025. This aircraft could reach Baku in approximately 15 hours non-stop as a replacement. Radar link https://www.radarbox.com/data/flights/QF6025 (https://www.radarbox.com/data/flights/QF6025?fbclid=IwAR2xqrkqTXDe1BP5nN-CXrNS7IbjUk93LNxOHpwUrZc6J_DPNk4qv6ro9Fg)

krismiler
24th Dec 2022, 01:10
Back in 2014 a Singapore Airlines A380 enroute from London to Singapore landed there due to a pressurisation problem. Not that many options available in that area if you need to get it on the ground ASAP.

mmurray
24th Dec 2022, 02:23
Yes seems that way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heydar_Aliyev_International_Airport

rodney rude
24th Dec 2022, 03:36
OK, I'll explain since no-one picked it. Post by aerial perspective - I believe one of the terminals at Buka was modified a while back to provide two A380 capable aerobridge bays. Not sure if LH or EY operate A380s there but they do operate something to the airport.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1479x515/buka_airport_75ed61513e400f10cbb806ac98586279c7b39573.png

Interestingly, I've been to both - Buka in a RAAF Falcon 900, and Baku for a refuel in a 604. Buka was a sh!tty strip with a tin shed, Baku was effing enormous. Buka was busy as hell, Baku didnt have a single movement in our 45 minutes on the ground.

blubak
24th Dec 2022, 03:45
Now the fun begins. Trying to get the passengers out. If they fired the bottles then you can kiss goodbye the A380 schedule for the next week. Press are already having a field day about this I see.
Spare 380 on the way with Syd based engineers aboard.The QF PR machine has of course been telling everyone what a great job is being done in assisting the passengers.
I wonder if they have actually worked out how many of the text messages they have sent have actually been received in the middle of nowhere,guess that wouldnt be a consideration though.

PoppaJo
24th Dec 2022, 04:28
Spare 380 on the way with Syd based engineers aboard.The QF PR machine has of course been telling everyone what a great job is being done in assisting the passengers.
I wonder if they have actually worked out how many of the text messages they have sent have actually been received in the middle of nowhere,guess that wouldnt be a consideration though.
Well it’s a recovery at least. It would seem things are worse over in Virgin land but that PR machine seems to be working a treat not a single word out of that camp.

On eyre
24th Dec 2022, 05:16

With a population of 2+ million people and a history of hosting quite a few international events, I doubt that telecommunications would be the problem you unkindly refer to.

mmurray
24th Dec 2022, 06:24
Azerbaijan is accessible by Telstra global roaming. 75 cents for a text according to their website.

NumptyAussie
24th Dec 2022, 06:26
How would you feel, called out from standby on Christmas Eve to go to Azerbaijan for God knows how long, guess thats why they get the big bucks.
boo farkin hoo....guess the clue is in "standby"

PoppaJo
24th Dec 2022, 07:05
Once in a career sort of trip, doubt the tech crew would mind, how often does one get to fly the big girl into such a place? Good fun. Sure beats my 12 hour 4 sector thingy I have lined up tomorrow.

redsnail
24th Dec 2022, 11:57
I've been to Baku a couple of times. Albeit not in an A380. (Hawker 800XP). A large well equipped modern airport. City's pretty good too with modern hotels. Roads were interesting but that was 10 years ago.
Various Formula 1 events have been held there. Huge reserves of gas and oil too.

donpizmeov
24th Dec 2022, 12:23
I've been to Baku a couple of times. Albeit not in an A380. (Hawker 800XP). A large well equipped modern airport. City's pretty good too with modern hotels. Roads were interesting but that was 10 years ago.
Various Formula 1 events have been held there. Huge reserves of gas and oil too.

Not everyone has had the opportunity to fly for operators outside of Oz, unfortunately Red. Normal destinations for many become exotic. Nothing wrong with that, but shows how boring flying the J or the 2 or 4 QF overseas destinations can be.
Good opportunity world wide now for some to make the change.

Trevor the lover
24th Dec 2022, 20:43
How are all the "exotics" you're doing these days workin for ya Don? Can just see you diverting from Dubbo to Baku - if it gets a tad difficult that little lad of yours will help. :)

Flingwing47
25th Dec 2022, 10:00
Ah Buka - the last place that Yamamoto visited ….
used to be a great guest house/ restaurant on Sohano Island

donpizmeov
25th Dec 2022, 23:53
How are all the "exotics" you're doing these days workin for ya Don? Can just see you diverting from Dubbo to Baku - if it gets a tad difficult that little lad of yours will help. :)

Rockie is about where the Bungee gets taught now Trev. Pretty sure there is a Faku round there somewhere 😃 Super Jr will be a great help.
Merry Christmas mate. Enjoy the relax in 2023.

1a sound asleep
26th Dec 2022, 02:06
QF1 original aircraft that diverted VH-OQH remains at Baku after 4 days. Qantas does not have an obligation to tell the media what really has happened. Qantas' obligation is to comply with CAS regs only

Of course, some have commented that if it was just a little intermittent fault it would have been fixed by the engineers that were flown in from Heathrow,

So no need to tell any more. But 4 days lost utilisation isn't something you would typically just accept

PoppaJo
26th Dec 2022, 02:17
QF1 original aircraft that diverted VH-OQH remains at Baku after 4 days. Qantas does not have an obligation to tell the media what really has happened. Qantas' obligation is to comply with CAS regs only

Of course, some have commented that if it was just a little intermittent fault it would have been fixed by the engineers that were flown in from Heathrow,

So no need to tell any more. But 4 days lost utilisation isn't something you would typically just accept

It is located half a world away in a remote location. 1 day is lost while ops sort it out, another day to get a recovery aircraft out, 1 day to get engineers out, 1 day for engineers to actually review the situation, 1 day to replace the bottles and/or other parts, 1 day to give any standby crew notice to fly. Getting parts out to Baku might be another problem, the problem is time due to limited flights. Unknown if QF has spare bottles in its inventory, if they don't, then kiss goodbye another 2-3 plus days while they get them to this place.

Plan for a week in some remote place, plan 24 hrs if its Mascot. However spare parts is another global problem at the moment. Jetstar waited multiple weeks for a flap part from Boeing.

Icarus2001
26th Dec 2022, 04:45
Unknown if QF has spare bottles in its inventory, if they don't, then kiss goodbye another 2-3 plus days while they get them to this place. Probably more expeditious to ferry to a maintenance base without them. Given there will be no Baku based passengers to load, that should not be an issue.

Mr_App
26th Dec 2022, 04:50
Probably more expeditious to ferry to a maintenance base without them. Given there will be no Baku based passengers to load, that should not be an issue.
Is CASA approval required for that though?

Icarus2001
26th Dec 2022, 05:24
CASA approve all sorts of things for engineering every week. Logic says if there is nothing in the hold why do you need fire suppression? Detection only is required for freight. Tough guy pilots don’t need suppression. Not familiar with A380 MEL but it is all available if CASA say it is. One sector, no passengers, nothing in the hold. Why not approve it?

soseg
26th Dec 2022, 08:27
CASA approve all sorts of things for engineering every week. Logic says if there is nothing in the hold why do you need fire suppression? Detection only is required for freight. Tough guy pilots don’t need suppression. Not familiar with A380 MEL but it is all available if CASA say it is. One sector, no passengers, nothing in the hold. Why not approve it?

Have the bags been off loaded? I heard Baku don’t have authority or training to unload a QF plane. Crew and pax only had the clothes on their back awaiting the rescue plane is what I’ve heard…?

Capt Fathom
26th Dec 2022, 08:36
I heard Baku don’t have authority or training to unload a QF plane.

Where did you hear that? Qantas aircraft are not unique.

Mr_App
26th Dec 2022, 09:17
Luggage was reported as being transferred A380 to A380 only, did not leave the airport. Cargo etc unknown.

SASKATOON9999
26th Dec 2022, 09:32
Or they can just leave the hold empty and arrange for the bags to be sent later. Some would probably argue they may get there sooner!

Ive orchestrated this very scenario, and ironically at this very airport circa 2001 - FWD cargo smoke warning warranted an immediate return to Baku. Both bottles discharged. On the ground warning was proved false. Landing was such that only a basic overweight landing check required. ULD’s removed and aircraft operated back to London after circa 4hrs. Containers repatriated by a rescue flt 2 days later and couriered to passengers.

Icarus2001
26th Dec 2022, 12:09
I heard Baku don’t have authority or training to unload a QF plane. Too funny.

Well perhaps they were not trained how to open the doors in which case the crew would do that, or the inbound engineers. Unloading a hold, with all due respect, is not, you know…

an.other
26th Dec 2022, 12:10
There are far worse places to get stuck. Nice city, good hotels for the oil men, very relaxed vibe, lots of culture, nice beach, streets to wander about, malls plus descent bars open til dawn. Stinking hot in summer though. Very oil rich country. The airport had a lot of oil money spent on it, it's designed for very large aircraft bringing in oil equipment.

As their home airline has a fleet mainly of 787s and A320s (and historically they flew A340s), not to mention all the old cargo 747s and AN124s passing through, I'm pretty sure they'll cope with unloading an A380.....

megle2
26th Dec 2022, 22:42
Well it’s enroute back to Aus, something has been signed off

morno
26th Dec 2022, 22:52
Have the bags been off loaded? I heard Baku don’t have authority or training to unload a QF plane. Crew and pax only had the clothes on their back awaiting the rescue plane is what I’ve heard…?

Why the F*** would you think that :rolleyes:.

Australia isn’t the only place in the world that knows how to unload an A380. Plus I’m sure they would have been quick to offload the cans to inspect for any signs of fire.

soseg
27th Dec 2022, 05:36
Why the F*** would you think that :rolleyes:.

Australia isn’t the only place in the world that knows how to unload an A380. Plus I’m sure they would have been quick to offload the cans to inspect for any signs of fire.

Because as I stated in my original message that’s what I was F***ing told?

Crew in the hotel only had their uniforms or whatever pijamas they had from their carry on. As to when or if they got their bags in Baku - I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking for someone else to f***ing confirm or deny

On eyre
27th Dec 2022, 06:55

Crew in the hotel only had their uniforms or whatever pijamas they had from their carry on. As to when or if they got their bags in Baku - I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking for someone else to f***ing confirm or deny

Big problem ? Everyone knows you can get four days out of a pair of jocks if you’re inventive 😝

morno
27th Dec 2022, 12:16

Most, not all (and maybe a cold London might be a factor), would take their overnight bags in the cabin with them. So if they end up in a hotel somewhere where they’re not supposed to be, they’re going to have everything with them clothes wise anyway.

As for the checked luggage, maybe there might have been an initial delay because of various other factors, like if they take them off, how the hell do we get them back on (computer system wise). But I highly doubt it’s because they weren’t trained in “how to unload a Qantas aircraft”.

redsnail
27th Dec 2022, 18:44
Baku's a huge freight hub. Unloading a few ULDs won't be a challenge. Processing them might be. Airlines do operate out of there. It's probably the cobbling up of a handling agent/gate/belts that would be the blocker. I dare say negotiating a quick contract with the local handlers probably took more time.

Do QF crews carry company credit cards? (we do, but we go to different places often).

C441
27th Dec 2022, 20:45
Baku's a huge freight hub. Unloading a few ULDs won't be a challenge. Processing them might be. Airlines do operate out of there. It's probably the cobbling up of a handling agent/gate/belts that would be the blocker. I dare say negotiating a quick contract with the local handlers probably took more time.

Do QF crews carry company credit cards? (we do, but we go to different places often).
I'm guessing the decision not to offload the bags was based on the logistics of checking them back in, loading them some sort of order in the cans and putting them in the right place on the aircraft (w&b) rather than the relatively simple task of unloading them and putting them on a belt.

Qantas pilots who spend more time in the office than on the line may have a company credit card but line pilots aren't issued with one. Use yours and claim back later is the usual process.

SixDemonBag
27th Dec 2022, 21:48
I'm guessing the decision not to offload the bags was based on the logistics of checking them back in, loading them some sort of order in the cans and putting them in the right place on the aircraft (w&b) rather than the relatively simple task of unloading them and putting them on a belt.

Qantas pilots who spend more time in the office than on the line may have a company credit card but line pilots aren't issued with one. Use yours and claim back later is the usual process.

think of the points!

krismiler
27th Dec 2022, 22:24
Security screening may have been an issue regarding the luggage. With the airport not being a regular port, it may not have had a recent audit by the security department.

Icarus2001
27th Dec 2022, 23:20
If the bags were screened in Australia, the ULDs transferred on ramp to another aircraft of the same company in Baku, is there a requirement to re screen them?

Captain Gidday
28th Dec 2022, 07:41
Most, not all (and maybe a cold London might be a factor), would take their overnight bags in the cabin with them. So if they end up in a hotel somewhere where they’re not supposed to be, they’re going to have everything with them clothes wise anyway.

That's a negative. Most crew, tech and cabin, on a trip this long check their main bag in.

morno
29th Dec 2022, 05:59
That's a negative. Most crew, tech and cabin, on a trip this long check their main bag in.

I guess I and most people I know have been doing it wrong then.

Captain Gidday
29th Dec 2022, 09:39
I guess I and most people I know have been doing it wrong then.
I guess so.
Or maybe it depends on who you work for and how long your trips are.
It would be pretty unusual on a LHR trip for any QF crew person not to have a checked bag. All that shopping has to get home somehow.
That said, all the crew bags are always stowed in the same place in the holds, which has varied over the years, as have the methods used to keep track of them, including the labelling.