View Full Version : Working as a Trainer at Jet2.com

JoCTimal
21st Dec 2022, 09:09
Hello all,

I am considering applying to Jet2.com as a TRE on the Airbus 320 as it sounds a great company, but many people I have spoken to within the company suggest I'm better applying somewhere else, or apply for a line pilot position rather than training. I've heard of potential problems with trainer work load issues with trainers getting a 'raw deal'. They suggest that the pay uplift for a trainer isn't worth the extra workload and messing around from crewing. Also I hear Training management favour 'their' friends rather than merit and it is generally not a great department to work for?

This is just from a couple of people I know within the company, so I put it out there if anyone else can shed any light on the T&C's, both good and bad please.

Too Few Stripes
21st Dec 2022, 12:23
In general I would say Jet2 are a good company to work for.
The best gig there at the moment is a line Captain on the B757.
work/life balance differs dependant on fleet/base/rank/‘extra qualifications’ and luck.
TRE pay is approximately 22% on top of standard line Captain pay (unless you’re on the much higher old pay scale of course!).
TRE workload is, subjectively at least, more than a 22% increase. Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that certain winter deals are not available to TREs(or TRIs I think). These deals can be very lucrative in terms of extra time vs loss of pay.
do not expect many, if any, SBY or reserves as a trainer in general and definitely not as a sim trainer.
management are generally hands-off and leave you to get on with things. Of course this can be good and bad! Pragmatism is an often used word but in reality is only acceptable if it’s the same pragmatic view the managers would have taken anyway.
trainers in general got a raw deal during Covid, sim trainers even more so. That may be in the past now but the goodwill lost has not recovered yet.
if you enjoy training and don’t mind a full roster while watching your line colleagues enjoy a very easy winter then go for it. The trainers are generally a really good bunch with a wide variety of experience and backgrounds.
are certain groups favoured? In general, yes. If you have a military background you can expect to progress further if that’s what you want. If you’re not, it’s still possible to progress of course but it certainly seems to require a lot more networking and brown nosing.
I hope this honest appraisal helps you, or anyone else, in making your decision.

Flying Wild
22nd Dec 2022, 21:54
Life will also be more manageable if you live close to the new training centre in Cheadle.

Duggee
27th Dec 2022, 16:54
In general I would say Jet2 are a good company to work for.
The best gig there at the moment is a line Captain on the B757.
work/life balance differs dependant on fleet/base/rank/‘extra qualifications’ and luck.
TRE pay is approximately 22% on top of standard line Captain pay (unless you’re on the much higher old pay scale of course!).
TRE workload is, subjectively at least, more than a 22% increase. Also, it’s worth bearing in mind that certain winter deals are not available to TREs(or TRIs I think). These deals can be very lucrative in terms of extra time vs loss of pay.
do not expect many, if any, SBY or reserves as a trainer in general and definitely not as a sim trainer.
management are generally hands-off and leave you to get on with things. Of course this can be good and bad! Pragmatism is an often used word but in reality is only acceptable if it’s the same pragmatic view the managers would have taken anyway.
trainers in general got a raw deal during Covid, sim trainers even more so. That may be in the past now but the goodwill lost has not recovered yet.
if you enjoy training and don’t mind a full roster while watching your line colleagues enjoy a very easy winter then go for it. The trainers are generally a really good bunch with a wide variety of experience and backgrounds.
are certain groups favoured? In general, yes. If you have a military background you can expect to progress further if that’s what you want. If you’re not, it’s still possible to progress of course but it certainly seems to require a lot more networking and brown nosing.
I hope this honest appraisal helps you, or anyone else, in making your decision.

^This post is a fair assessment. If I were in your shoes, personally I would go for line crew and then once inside get the lay of the land and decide if it’s worth the hassle of TREing. They will certainly be needing many Airbus TREs over the coming years so it’s always on the table.

In general it’s a great outfit to work for, but there are too many days that I question if I should just give up the training, I’d be astonished if I’m alone in that view.

mesh
28th Dec 2022, 09:37
Firstly I’m not a trainer so can only give you a top line opinion. I’m not based at Leeds nor am I on the A320. I have trained in various roles including SFI at previous companies and I have decided to probably not apply for training. The reasons for my choice are firstly base. If you aren’t Manchester based then be ready to spend a lot of time their as that’s where the A320 sim Centre will be. Not sure how long your friends have been with the company but the last couple of years have been strange obviously. Jet2 presently is working at max training capacity. The trainers are in the sim a lot and we are recruiting so this will not slow down. The trainers are looking at the increment and thinking crickey we are working hard for that. As well as that Jet2 lifestyle and the options it gives makes line flying a really good thing and the trainers are limited with this. For example the company are about to bring in a set of options for part time working. In most probability if you have any training role you will not be allowed to apply. However you do get every Christmas off. As always it’s swings and roundabouts. In short if you join now as a trainer you will be training all the time. Your increment will be ok. You will get Christmas off. You may get part time working but probably not. Eventually the work load will calm down and it will be less sim based. If you join as a line pilot lifestyle 2023 will be really good for you if part time is a wanted option. If I were you I would join on the line, look at the lay of the land and then decide. However, DEC options not great but no harm in applying. Good luck

mesh
28th Dec 2022, 10:01
Ps hadn’t read the above before posting but seems to add up

70 Mustang
30th Dec 2022, 20:18
"Also I hear Training management favour 'their' friends rather than merit"

I'm afraid that happens everywhere in every endeavour. From government to the smallest business with more than 2 people.

HALIF
31st Dec 2022, 07:43
Hello everyone.

I’m also thinking about applying to Jet2.com as a trainer.

For the TRE’s, what is a typical roster pattern, e.g. is it roughly 5 on 2 off?

How many days a year typically would a TRE work? At my current employer, a TRE doesn’t work anymore days than a line captain…

Thank you.

Halif.