PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA or EASA.. Which is best for Brits?

ElCapitan45
21st Dec 2022, 07:51
Hi guys, Long time listener, first time caller. ​​​​​​​Just after a tiny bit of advice which, as present, seems to be very hard to find.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Keeping it short and sweet - UK Citizen, UK passport, about to embark on the dreaded ATPL chapter, BIG question, UK or EASA exams?

Main aim is to move outside of the UK (any part of the world), but are there any jobs for people in my position?

Ryanair offer some type of hope for me, but with the whole EU baloney, just leaves simpletons like me, very confused on which path to take.

​​​​​​​I'm a couple months off the ATPL Mod1. Any advice would be well received.... apart from the "do both Easa and UK exams". Cheers

SoftwareDev
21st Dec 2022, 12:14
EASA means you can fly planes registered in EASA states. CAA you can only fly G reg planes registered in the UK.
Post Brexit, an EASA license doesn't have much value if you don't have the right to live and work in the EU and if you are only a UK citizen. I think Ryanair hired some guys in the UK flying EI reg planes based here, but you're really limited if you do not have EU citizenship.

Alex Whittingham
21st Dec 2022, 18:14
Can't imagine why you would not do both licences in parallel. Extra costs would be 1 x extra set of Austro exams and possibly another £1K to £5K for the second IR, although in theory that can be done for both licences in one test, no extra cost.