PDA

View Full Version : upper age limit for IR(H) UK?

Forest4ever
19th Dec 2022, 17:23
Hello everyone, general question I'm early 50's, CPL and FI with about 600 hrs, loving flying thinking though to make this more of a career change for the next few years, would it be advisable to get an IR rating?

What's the general consensus of companies hiring someone with my background and an IR rating? Just intrigued at this stage assuming I can fund the £50K needed for the IR rating ha
Many thanks

hargreaves99
19th Dec 2022, 18:04
Not a hope in hell of getting hired at that age without type ratings and/or experience

Sir Korsky
19th Dec 2022, 18:38
didn't we just do this?

212man
19th Dec 2022, 18:55
didn't we just do this?
I’ve been here 23 years - it can be Groundhog Day quite frequently!

I was somewhere around member 8,000 and remember when total Pprune membership passed 10,000! It certainly went higher than that, although my data got reset in one of the platform changes.

hargreaves99
19th Dec 2022, 20:21
https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/113544-age-concern-am-i-too-old-11.html#post11334689

rudestuff
20th Dec 2022, 15:13
Hello everyone, general question I'm early 50's, CPL and FI with about 600 hrs, loving flying thinking though to make this more of a career change for the next few years, would it be advisable to get an IR rating?

What's the general consensus of companies hiring someone with my background and an IR rating? Just intrigued at this stage assuming I can fund the £50K needed for the IR rating ha
Many thanks
Get a 355 rating and get a job with one of the several UK companies that use them. Once you're 'in' and have 500 hours MET time then think about where you want to go...

Krautwald
12th Jan 2023, 23:59
As I wrote in the general wannabes board, I find it remarkable how the general outlook has changed. Pre-Covid, we seemed to have this exceptional time when changing your life course in middle age or a bit older was beginning to become an accepted fact of life. Now things sound so much more conservative again, and so sudden. I am not saying this is wrong per se, there are a gazillion reasons to prefer younger people in competitive fields. But I liked that feeling of opportunity better. Especially for people who pay their own way anyway.

I did FW ATPL in my mid 30s and managed to establish myself with a decent TP regional. But I am also old enough to just so remember times when, at least in my country, flying was a career for the very few who got into air force or cadet programs, no older than 23 or something like that. It was an extremely narrow world. I´d really feel sad for that to return.