PDA

View Full Version : Advice from older generation

Boyhooddreamer
19th Dec 2022, 16:48
Hello all,

I require some advice on the following subject:

I am a 27 year old who currently works as a Senior Quantity Surveyor who works in Saudi Arabia. Currently I am earning around 110K GBP a year tax free. Ive wanted to become a pilot since no age as I was also an "expat child" and did lots of travelling and was told I never had the intellectual capabilities to do become a pilot. I previously tried out for the CAE Easy Jet scholarships but I didn't get the required marks at that time.

I now have a B.Sc Hons in Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management and I am currently completing a PG.Cert In Mechanical and Electrical Quantity Surveying and should be chartered under the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) by March/April time 2023. So by mid 2023, I'll have 2 degrees and be chartered.

I have seen now that for example TUI are doing a full send for their scholarships for pilots which their starting salary is 32K GBP and the chances of having a job during the 19 months of training is very very slim due to the intenseness off it. Also for example if I get the TUI scholarship (complete hypothetical situation) I could have potentially 40K GBP savings.

***THE ADVICE I AM ASKING FOR***

Do members think that I should scrap the thought of being a pilot due to the severe salary differences currently

OR

Should I just think *f..k it * and just follow what my "heart is telling me" - FYI I think my job is the most boring thing I could think off and would advise completely against any 18 year old becoming a Q.S at uni- Do something fun.

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

VariablePitchP
19th Dec 2022, 17:57
Hello all,

I am a 27 year old who currently works as a Senior Quantity Surveyor who works in Saudi Arabia. Currently I am earning around 110K GBP a year tax free. Ive wanted to become a pilot since no age as I was also an "expat child" and did lots of travelling and was told I never had the intellectual capabilities to do become a pilot. I previously tried out for the CAE Easy Jet scholarships but I didn't get the required marks at that time.

I now have a B.Sc Hons in Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management and I am currently completing a PG.Cert In Mechanical and Electrical Quantity Surveying and should be chartered under the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) by March/April time 2023. So by mid 2023, I'll have 2 degrees and be chartered.

I have seen now that for example TUI are doing a full send for their scholarships for pilots which their starting salary is 32K GBP and the chances of having a job during the 19 months of training is very very slim due to the intenseness off it. Also for example if I get the TUI scholarship (complete hypothetical situation) I could have potentially 40K GBP savings.

Do members think that I should scrap the thought of being a pilot due to the severe salary differences currently

OR

Should I just think *f..k it * and just follow what my "heart is telling me" - FYI I think my job is the most boring thing I could think off and would advise completely against any 18 year old becoming a Q.S at uni- Do something fun.

I’d say if you’re making that sort of money at that age, but are still seriously considering it then it’s not a pipe dream.

If you can come back to Europe then you’ll be on that sort of money again when you get captaincy, which will take about five years in a job to do. Add in your training and if you got your skates on you could be there by 35.We do pay tax though!

TUI scheme is the best thing going right now. No risk to you financially, guaranteed(ish) job. Awesome scheme.

Reapply for ezy, that’s also a good scheme. Other than the main airline ones though you can steer clear of the sausage factory L3 type schools. Modular you’ll go at the speed of cash. In your shoes with some dollar behind you it could be 15/16 months to get the lot done if you can go full time. I assume given your circumstances you’re okay with some hard work.

Ask yourself though, in 20 years time would you be happy to still be staring at spreadsheets all day? You’ll be better off undoubtedly, but will you be happier?

I’ve only had to do real jobs for a few years before flying, I can’t think of anything I’d rather do. I truly get excited to work and get genuine enjoyment from it. I’d rather be working than not a lot of the time. 99.9% of people can’t honestly say that.

redsnail
19th Dec 2022, 19:25
You're on a bloody good wage now and good on you. Here's the thing, what's next? Is sky the limit (excuse the pun) salary wise or will you eventually come back to the UK/EU and get stuck with tax etc? Meanwhile, it can take 5 maybe, 10 years to get "back" to that but hopefully it'll be a far more interesting ride. Once experienced, there's the bizjet world. ;)

There's plenty of stuff online about aptitude tests etc. Worth looking at to get a handle on these tests.
Medical wise? Any issues? Thinking eyesight, hearing, diabetes etc?
Otherwise, if your goal is to fly, squirrel as much money away as you can so you're not crippled with servicing ridiculous debt. By all means, go for the TUI scholarship and have another crack at other tagged schemes.
If it all goes pear shaped, (medical or recession) at least you'll have "something" to fall back on - although, how long you can stay away from QS and be employable only you know.

Good luck.

Boyhooddreamer
19th Dec 2022, 22:55
Thanks for then reply.
Thankfully for my Visa to get into KSA you have to do a full on health examination which some of the tests are similar to what is expected in a Class 1 medical.
I have a private doctor who has done many of the basic tets also done in the class one.
Thankfully I don't have any vision problems either. The glasses are only worn when I'm staring at artifical light for too long ( Repetitive strain injury- Basically when I've been staring at a laptop all day and I get lazy).

The problem is I will only do the funded training as I don't want to put myself into another student loan debt.
it's great to have something to fall back on but when you have zero to no interest in it, its hard to want to go back to it.

The question is, is it better to be short of cash and love what youre doing or make 3x the salary you are and be miserable.

SoftwareDev
20th Dec 2022, 00:50
My advice would be to get a Class 1 medical before making your mind up!

cede
20th Dec 2022, 11:10
Thanks for then reply.
Thankfully for my Visa to get into KSA you have to do a full on health examination which some of the tests are similar to what is expected in a Class 1 medical.
I have a private doctor who has done many of the basic tets also done in the class one.
Thankfully I don't have any vision problems either. The glasses are only worn when I'm staring at artifical light for too long ( Repetitive strain injury- Basically when I've been staring at a laptop all day and I get lazy).

The problem is I will only do the funded training as I don't want to put myself into another student loan debt.
it's great to have something to fall back on but when you have zero to no interest in it, its hard to want to go back to it.

The question is, is it better to be short of cash and love what youre doing or make 3x the salary you are and be miserable.

I have a backup career. I like my career but aviation is something I’ve always wanted to do since being a kid, as many here have probably heard a million times! I’m paid well and would be taking a pay cut for the 4 years if successful, but it’s worth for the salary after that (which I’m not sure would be but I know it’s at least decent!)

I reckon in life you got to appreciate what you have sometimes, money coming in at least and a fall back position. Many guys applying will maybe not have that.

We would only be short of cash for 19 months. After that it’s 4 years of 33k ish. After that you will be on good money (assuming). You will be flying for a living. Sounds good to me!

rudestuff
20th Dec 2022, 14:45
Why not do both? It's a long process to become a pilot. Start with a Medical, A PPL and then sign up for the ATPLs distance learning. An investment of 2 months salary at most but it'll keep you busy for at least a year.
Once the exams are passed you have 36 months to finish up if that's what you decide. Then apply for jobs from the comfort of your tax free life.

VariablePitchP
20th Dec 2022, 16:26
Thanks for then reply.

Just to add a slight reality check. You won’t be in a student loan situation, you’ve got three options.

Get on a funded scheme. Yay.
Pay the £100K yourself
Get Mummy and Daddy to remortgage the house to loan you £100K

If you don’t have the cash, the Modular route as suggested earlier is the best option. It’s cheaper and you go at the speed if cash so you can still work as you study. To be honest even if you have the cash Modular is the best way to go. If you can live on beans and rice in Saudi you’ll have it banked in 18 months, that’s an incredible opportunity you’ve given yourself.

rudestuff
20th Dec 2022, 16:32
Pay the £100K yourself ....Get Mummy and Daddy to remortgage the house to loan you £100K.Where does this £100k figure come from?
If you don’t have the cashThe OP takes home £10k a month!

SoftwareDev
20th Dec 2022, 16:38
There's also the big thing to realise which I'm keeping in mind while working full time and going the modular path. In the UK alone there are many many folk with CPL ME/IR MCC fATPL URPT YMCA LMAO who cannot get an airline job. Flight schools are full of them. If you have a good job, keep it until you can get a flying job otherwise you could end up stuck doing discovery flights in Cessnas.

FuturePilot_123
20th Dec 2022, 19:24
I have a backup career. I like my career but aviation is something I’ve always wanted to do since being a kid, as many here have probably heard a million times! I’m paid well and would be taking a pay cut for the 4 years if successful, but it’s worth for the salary after that (which I’m not sure would be but I know it’s at least decent!)

I reckon in life you got to appreciate what you have sometimes, money coming in at least and a fall back position. Many guys applying will maybe not have that.

We would only be short of cash for 19 months. After that it’s 4 years of 33k ish. After that you will be on good money (assuming). You will be flying for a living. Sounds good to me!

Good to see someone else is in a similar position to me! Quite reassuring reading this.

I also applied for the TUI Cadet Programme - but am still yet to hear back. Fingers crossed! Good luck all.

CaptSackJarrow
20th Dec 2022, 21:12
Hello all,

OR

1) To give perspective I just graduated in Bioscience and Data Science, a pretty lucrative industry but I do hate my job. However, it pays for my PPL so I put on a bright smile and pretend it's all great. You can always branch out and go into different aspects (non flying but in aviation) and get paid very, very, very well. after your stint as a commercial pilot.

2) If you have nothing tying you down then go for it. I don't know how much of your income is put away etc, but the modular route is a good way to get a pace for it. Have you ever flown before, discovery flight? PPL? I know Emirates Flight School is in Dubai, they most likely do discoveries. Get the ball rolling.

Good luck!

Chris the Robot
21st Dec 2022, 01:25
I presume there may be flying pay on top of the £33k, plus if it was possible to work a few days overtime once past the first year or so, it'd be possible to considerably increase one's income.income.

Nonetheless it looks a very good training programme. They've also, by the looks of it, got a sensible lead time from assessments/offers through to start date which will open the doors to people with long notice periods or medical referrals etc.

VariablePitchP
22nd Dec 2022, 21:26
Where does this £100k figure come from? The OP takes home £10k a month!

£100K is pretty standard. Yes you can go cheaper but you’ll need a type rating etc. 90K, 110K, all the same ballpark.

They may have the cash, others reading may not, was just the general overview!

alexhluis
21st Feb 2023, 15:43
Good afternoon All,

(I am new here, so not sure if this would be the best thread to enquiry).

I am due to complete my PPL UK + NR and am looking to commence the ATPL Theory hopefully in July 2023 - After a lot of consideration, I have reached the conclusion that it will be more feasible for me to do it in class (I am inclined to go with Skyborne) which is a 28 week course. As I'll be limited to where to do the Hour building, I was thinking of flying perhaps one hour per week to keep my hand in and build some hours, completing the remaining circa 75h perhaps in Bristol (Bristol Flying School - £99.00 p/h, wet).

I appreciate I will need 100h PIC to start the CPL/ IR + ME & APS.

Can I have some advice is respect of my above plan and choice of school for the Theory? Of course I love flying, but want to waste the minimal money possible to achieve the 200h (min requirement for the CPL).

Thank you kindly, Alex