PDA

View Full Version : Part 121, 135 and so on

GreenCardWinner
17th Dec 2022, 19:01
Dear Aviator Community,

My wife and I entered the green card lottery and the impossible happened and we were chosen by the system.

A short summary:

EASA PIC/TRI A320FAM, B737 300-900,
FAA ATP ME LAND
FCC
Class One Medical FAA
Class One Medical EASA

9904TT

A320FAM +5000
B737 300-900 +3100
Turboprop +450

Unfortunately, the hours are not recognized in the USA.

How did you solve the problem and how do I have to deal with it.

bafanguy
17th Dec 2022, 22:50
My wife and I entered the green card lottery and the impossible happened and we were chosen by the system.

Unfortunately, the hours are not recognized in the USA.

How did you solve the problem and how do I have to deal with it.

GCW,

Your hours are recognized; they already have been. They apparently counted enough for you to get an FAA ATPL. What they won't allow you to do is slide into the LHS seat of an FAA Part 121 airline operation...regardless of your excellent qualifications. It's FAA regulations and may be illogical in your case but it's the government's game and the government's rules. There is no way to "solve" that problem but to get that magic 1,000 hours of Part 121 flight time to allow upgrade to captain if that's your immediate goal.

See this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436

In the meantime...

The way to deal with that is, once you get that green card in your hands, apply to EVERY FRIKKIN' AIRLINE IN THE USA...ALL THE BIG ONES. You might be surprised at the outcome. You'll still need that 1,000 hours and whatever seniority you might have at that point will determine your ability to upgrade to captain. But, if you get to DL, AA, UA, UPS, Spirit, Frontier, FedEx, SWA, etc, ( and you just might) you'll be sitting pretty. You'll do time in the RHS and be ruled by seniority for anything beyond that. Can't fight City Hall on the regulations.

Good luck in your efforts.

Sunrig
18th Dec 2022, 03:19
Glückwunsch for winning the green card! There’s nothing to be done regarding getting your hours recognized. As Bafanguy said, there’s no way to get a Direct Entry Command, not even at the Regional level. You will have to fly at least 1000 hours in the right seat before you can upgrade if your seniority allows that of course. Just apply everywhere and see where you can get hired. All the best!

GreenCardWinner
18th Dec 2022, 08:50
Dear Bafanguy,

Thanks for the feedback. I already have an FAA ATP and written exam done too...I'm still impressed with how the FAA counts hours like a simulated instrument, active instrument, etc.

I just asked the examiner if you were writing down actual IMC and simulated IMC during a sector from A to B; he started laughing and said that this part of the FAA rules a big secret and just the FAA knows what's going on.

In 2017 a pilot tried to go through a petition, but the FAA meant it would be unsafe to let a well-experienced pilot fly a plane in the US even if this pilot flowed a hundred times to the US. So as you said, the FAA will not deviate from its safety attitude.

bafanguy
18th Dec 2022, 11:32
GCW,

You're golden !! Get that green card in hand and start applying. I don't know how they'd feel about a pending green card but you could ask via the various Facebook airline recruiting pages or direct email if that's available. I'd expect every career-destination airline in the USA to be interested in you.

Let us know how it's going.

jrmyl
18th Dec 2022, 13:38
Dear Bafanguy,

Thanks for the feedback. I already have an FAA ATP and written exam done too...I'm still impressed with how the FAA counts hours like a simulated instrument, active instrument, etc.

I just asked the examiner if you were writing down actual IMC and simulated IMC during a sector from A to B; he started laughing and said that this part of the FAA rules a big secret and just the FAA knows what's going on.

In 2017 a pilot tried to go through a petition, but the FAA meant it would be unsafe to let a well-experienced pilot fly a plane in the US even if this pilot flowed a hundred times to the US. So as you said, the FAA will not deviate from its safety attitude.
My confusion is when you say, "I already have an FAA ATP and written exam done too". Do you have an FAA ATP certificate or not? If you do, what written are you talking about? It almost sounds like you have only done the written and haven't completed the ATP checkride.

And congratulations on winning the lottery. My brother-in-law applied many years ago but didn't make it.

GreenCardWinner
18th Dec 2022, 15:18
EASA ATPL and FAA ATP ME LAND, check ride done and, of course, the ATP EXAM before.

We, too, were amazed and never thought of being among the winners in our lives

bafanguy
19th Dec 2022, 14:04
GCW,

Just out of idle curiosity, do you have a college degree ? It's not necessarily a hard-and-fast requirement these days but is still a competitive advantage since many people will have one.

GreenCardWinner
19th Dec 2022, 14:35
GCW,

Just out of idle curiosity, do you have a college degree ? It's not necessarily a hard-and-fast requirement these days but is still a competitive advantage since many people will have one.

Yes i have a technical college degree from Lufthansa, high school degree, apprenticeship as aircraft technician….according the web side for the green card stuff im well ahead of a normal eduction path compare to the US.

bafanguy
19th Dec 2022, 16:17
GCW,

I wasn't asking in reference to green card eligibility but rather your competitiveness once you start applying to career-destination carriers here. Many of the people against whom you'll be competing will have college degrees...but applying without one is NOT a show stopper. It's just another box to check on an application.

I suspect you'll be competitive regardless. I was just curious. The college-degree/pilot issue has been debated ad nauseum so I don't want to get into that. It's just something else to be aware of when you start the hunt.

I haven't investigated what most carriers' policies are lately but here's what Delta has to say regarding college degrees:

Graduate of a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Dept. of Education recognized accrediting organization is preferred.

Degrees obtained from a non-U.S. institution must be evaluated for equivalency to U.S. degrees by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

https://www.airlineapps.com/jobs/details.aspx?emp=Delta-Air-Lines&job=First-Officer

GreenCardWinner
19th Dec 2022, 16:43
Dear Bafanguy,

You are right, and this issue also raises my concerns about the chance to get a foot into the flight deck.

I just got a few negative replies from regionals that my Profile does not fit their requirements.

I’m a bit confused about it, but that not means that I will give up. Just another jungle like in Europe! and since 2007 i learned to live with that…

bafanguy
19th Dec 2022, 22:31
GCW,

Don't be discouraged. If you don't have the green card in hand and aren't able to report for class soon, the regionals will likely not know what to do with you.

I'm just guessing here but your qualifications may show a regional you won't be there very long so they may pass on you. :)

When will you actually have the green card in hand ?

GreenCardWinner
20th Dec 2022, 02:59
GCW,

Don't be discouraged. If you don't have the green card in hand and aren't able to report for class soon, the regionals will likely not know what to do with you.

I'm just guessing here but your qualifications may show a regional you won't be there very long so they may pass on you. :)

When will you actually have the green card in hand ?

Will arrive i guess around the 20th of January....because of all the public holidays and processing there is a delay!

Ecam321
20th Dec 2022, 05:17
[QUOTE=bafanguy;11350229]GCW,

You're golden !! Get that green card in hand and start applying. I don't know how they'd feel about a pending green card

You don’t actually have to wait until you physically have the Green Card in hand before being allowed to work. You need the stamp in your passport and activate it by entering the US, then legally you can start employment.

bafanguy
20th Dec 2022, 06:27
Ecam321,

I don't doubt you're correct but dealing with the mysterious (and infuriating) processes and priorities of airline interviewing and hiring is another level of frustration. I've seen them object to some very illogical issues with an applicant. In any event, GCW has his work cut out for him in dealing with them and their processes.