PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea / OSA / CPaP EASA Class 1 Medical

david1151
14th Dec 2022, 15:56
Hello everyone,

i've been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, and have been treated for it by CPAP.
Does anyone here has been going through the EASA Medical Class 1 System with this, and what can I expect.
Information from the German CAA is extremely limited and I'm scared I might loose my job offer due to being declared unfit prior to starting my TR early next year.

Thanks for any advice/information on this topic.

collectivethrust
14th Dec 2022, 18:53
I went through same thing many years ago, under JAR. The UK CAA were quite responsive to getting my Medical back.
Although UK no longer in EASA they do follow the rules very closely so their information may be helpful, it doesn`t seem to have changed in quite some time
www.caa.co.uk/media/y2nnuzsm/sleep-apnoea-fc.pdf

I have subsequently moved my Medical to another EASA State and I submit a CPAP report to the AME, at my medical.

david1151
25th Aug 2023, 18:58
Very belated thank you for your reply!
I've been lucky, that the CAA has been very willing in getting me flying again. It cost me some money for a complete cardio checkup (doesn't hurt) and got my medical back in March.
Now nearly finished with my type rating and will have to live with the CPAP apparatus.
But it has done it's magic, blood pressure in check, good nights of sleep and well rested usually.

Anyone has ever questions, do not hesitate to ask. Cheers!

rafacub
12th Dec 2023, 10:50
Hello!
Im busy with the CPAP for four months and different types of masks and still not ready. Im going to try other options to recover my “normal life”.
The next step will be a personal approach with a DISE.
Thanks for the information and congratulations for your prompt recovery.