PDA

View Full Version : B737 or CRJ900?

mrmax29
11th Dec 2022, 10:39
I was recently offered 2 jobs, one on the 737 where I am already type rated and got approx 300hrs of experience and another on the CRJ900, NTR.

I am unsure of which one to pick as I am more interested to fly the Boeing whilst conditions & quality of life is better by quite a bit with the CRJ gig.
I am just thinking alot about if in 2 years with ~1000hrs on a CRJ900 will disqualify me for future B737 jobs because I haven't got to the "500 hrs on type" which employers seem to love, even though in this case I'd have about 1500hrs total and ~1300hrs on jet >35t MTOW and a valid B737 TR which I intend to keep up.

I hope not but keep overthinking this decision. Any input?

Confusious
11th Dec 2022, 11:00
I was recently offered 2 jobs, one on the 737 where I am already type rated and got approx 300hrs of experience and another on the CRJ900, NTR.

I am unsure of which one to pick as I am more interested to fly the Boeing whilst conditions & quality of life is better by quite a bit with the CRJ gig.
I am just thinking alot about if in 2 years with ~1000hrs on a CRJ900 will disqualify me for future B737 jobs because I haven't got to the "500 hrs on type" which employers seem to love, even though in this case I'd have about 1500hrs total and ~1300hrs on jet >35t MTOW and a valid B737 TR which I intend to keep up.

I hope not but keep overthinking this decision. Any input?
It's always a lottery when choosing careers path options, but if it was me I'd stick with the Boeing.

Chesty Morgan
11th Dec 2022, 11:43
It's all about lifestyle!

rudestuff
11th Dec 2022, 14:35
It's all about lifestyle in the end, but in the early years of a career It's about consolidating your position. 35T is respectable, but heavier is better. How many jobs ask for xxxx hours on >50T turbojet aircraft? Boeing experience and philosophy translates onto all the bigger Boeings as well.

iggy
12th Dec 2022, 02:21
I conditions & quality of life is better by quite a bit with the CRJ gig.

That can go away in less than a week, don't forget what has just recently happened worldwide.

mrmax29
12th Dec 2022, 14:40
That can go away in less than a week, don't forget what has just recently happened worldwide.

Well, so could the other one

VariablePitchP
12th Dec 2022, 15:40
It's all about lifestyle in the end, but in the early years of a career It's about consolidating your position. 35T is respectable, but heavier is better. How many jobs ask for xxxx hours on >50T turbojet aircraft? Boeing experience and philosophy translates onto all the bigger Boeings as well.

Very few?

The key is usually 500 hours on something over 10/20T, as you’re then ZFT eligible.

That said, the Boeing rating will open more doors than the CRJ. Not all the doors, a lot will open for either, but some of them will have a Boeing/Airbus keyhole.

FMCspeed
22nd Dec 2022, 21:04
It all depends, of course the B737 open more doors, but are you a FO or a CP? If you are a FO, which of the airplanes you give you the upgrade time faster? Or do you think about moving for another job anyway? If thinking about moving, give a chance for the B737.

Uplinker
23rd Dec 2022, 11:08
B737 will probably get you into a "sausage machine" gig of being a small insignificant cog in a large machine, with airline rosters and airline hours, and relatively 'normal' popular destinations, but with full operations and engineering back-up and usually your own bed at night.

CRJ, if it is a private jet gig, might give you more interesting rosters, more interesting destinations and a more interesting lifestyle - and possibly much more 'demanding' clients ! - but with you doing a lot of the flight paperwork and organisation, and maybe away from home for a couple of weeks at a time.

As a grizzled old xxxx, looking back at my airline career, I would be strongly tempted to go for the better lifestyle and terms and conditions. But I have already done the many many years of 'bucket and spade' flights from the UK, which you haven't had the pleasure of flying yet. I thoroughly enjoyed 99% of it, but having done it, I am not sure if I would want to continue now with the ever decreasing terms and conditions, and the ever increasing hoops to jump through.

As for future selection, I would like to hope that Chief pilots would understand and appreciate the private jet pilot task as being just as valid as the airline pilot's, even if slightly different.