PDA

View Full Version : Glasses !!

Jonnyknoxville
11th Dec 2022, 10:28
Hi Folks ,

Looking for a bit of input from people .
Ive reached that age now where the eyesight is starting to fade a bit and i'm struggling to find glasses that suit me for the flight deck .
Initially I only needed reading glasses for the ipad however as time went on I found the PFD /Nav display(85 cm) to be a bit blurry , especially at night .
My prescription is pretty light +2 for the readers and 1 for seeing in the distance with .5 astigmatism .
I'm now on the second pair of progressives and not particularly happy with them , I am considering trying tri focals , has anyone used them and able to comment ?
The other thing im considering is trying a contact lens for distance vision and just wearing the half moon on the nose for reading - but i'm unsure if this will correct the middle distance as well - to the PFD /ND .

Any and all input appreciated as im down about 3K on bloddy useless glasses at this stage
Thx

SOPS
11th Dec 2022, 11:05
Stick with the progressive. I have worn them since I was 30: ( now 61). You have to learn how to use them. You sometimes have to move your head a bit. But once you get used to them you will never look back. The first few weeks take some work.

Hew Jampton
11th Dec 2022, 11:18
A decent optometrist should be able to 'tune' your varifocal/progressive lens prescription for the work you do. Trifocals might need a huge amount of tilting your head back to see the overhead panel. I recall that some flight engineers used to have trifocals with near at the top, distant in the middle and near at the bottom.
One thing with varifocals is getting used to going down stairs.

ShyTorque
11th Dec 2022, 13:03
One thing with varifocals is getting used to going down stairs.

I completely gave up with varifocal specs for that reason, before I fell and broke my own neck.

421dog
16th Dec 2022, 22:32
As an AME, it’s much easier to certify an airman with either bi/trifocals or just contacts and cheaters.
all in one’s are a big PITA