PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter down in southwest Ireland .......

Carlito
28th Aug 2002, 21:16
From RTE Website

August 28, 2002

(21:52) At least one person has died after a helicopter crashed near Lispole in Dingle in Kerry this evening.

It is understood the crash happened at about 7.30pm. Local people witnessed the accident.

The emergency services are now at the scene.

Garda' say it is believed the helicopter was on its way to collect some people who were at the races in Tralee but it failed to arrive and the alarm was raised shortly after seven o'clock this evening.

RIP

hobie
28th Aug 2002, 21:17
Craft on route to collect "horse race fans" at Tralee this evening ...... a little info at ......

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0828/kerry.html

langer
29th Aug 2002, 07:31
aircraft was bell jet ranger the lone (proffesional) pilot was killed aircraft hit mountain in fog while well off track ie opposite direction almost, crash investigators on route. Aircraft was on day trip to race meet

widgeon
29th Aug 2002, 15:48
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=816177&issue_id=7951

You may need to register to access the story.

AF1
29th Aug 2002, 20:06
More details at the IABB:

http://www.irishaviation.net/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001109.html

Irlandés
29th Aug 2002, 20:50
Here's the article...

Pilot killed as helicopter crashes in fog on way to pick up racegoers

AN air accident investigation will begin today after a man was killed in a helicopter crash five miles outside Dingle, Co Kerry last night.

The body of the pilot, a 41-year-old father-of-two from Dublin, was found in the burned out privately-owned Bell Jet Ranger.

The accident happened in the Strickeen Mountains between Dingle and Lispole shortly after 7pm.

According to gardai, the four-seater helicopter crashed in an extremely mountainous area in dense fog.

The pilot may have encountered difficulties due to lack of visibility.

It is not believed the aircraft - owned by the Helicopter Sale and Leasing Company - was trying to land at the time.

Emergency services including Dingle Mountain Rescue rushed to the scene. They were hampered initially by the weather conditions.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. He was the only person in the helicopter.

The victim is believed to be a professional pilot who was hired to fly business people on a pleasure trip to the races in Tralee.

The aircraft left Weston airport in Lucan outside Dublin bound for Kerry yesterday afternoon. It dropped off a group of three people at the race meeting in Tralee.

Sources last night said the pilot of the blue and red helicopter was on his way back to the races to pick up clients when the accident occurred.

The alarm was raised shortly after 7pm by locals in Lispole.

Local woman Theresa Rafferty alerted the emergency services after the helicopter crashed behind her house.

"I heard the helicopter overhead and I figured it was in trouble by some of the noises it was making. I heard a bang and then silence. I just dialled 999 straight away. I knew there was no point in ringing the local gardai as it was definitely an emergency," Ms Rafferty said.

"I didn't go up as the fog was very dense here and it was very hard to see. Three of my neighbours went up with the emergency services to show them where the spot was," she added.

Ambulance and fire brigade crews from Tralee rushed to the scene but the victim was already dead when they got there.

A spokeswoman for the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said the victim was not believed to have been in contact with air traffic control at Shannon at the time of the accident.

She said visibility was very bad in the area at the time of the accident.

Department of Transport air accident investigators asked gardai to preserve the scene and a full investigation will begin today.

A spokesman for the department said the investigators would travel to Kerry overnight to be at the scene of the accident at first light.

A spokesman for Tralee racecourse last night said that only two helicopters landed there yesterday.

One of them, owned by Celtic Helicopters, brought trainer Dermot Weld and his connections to the races.

The second - the helicopter involved in the accident - was privately owned and brought three racegoers to the meeting.

Kathy Donaghy, Martha Kearns and Alan O'Keeffe

hobie
29th Aug 2002, 21:45
one of the first to arrive at the crash scene reported that he heard a mobile phone ringing in the grass ...... picked it up and answered it ....... it was one of the intending passengers at Tralee trying to find out where the pilot was ....... very sad!

Heliport
30th Aug 2002, 09:12
From Ireland Online .....
The pilot killed in a helicopter crash in Co Kerry last night has been named locally as 41-year-old David Reid, a father-of-one from Blackhorse Avenue in Dublin.