PDA

View Full Version : Specific question regarding ADD/ADHD

Bronso1994
10th Dec 2022, 10:17
Hi,

As you can see I'm posting in the 'wannabe' forum and am new. I am an aspiring pilot.

I would like to know: Will an actual diagnosis of ADHD be in itself a disqualification to pass a medical test in order to become a pilot?

I will be having a diagnostic assessment soon to determine as to whether I have ADHD (which I know that I have) but please note that my potential ADHD diagnosis is lacking in the hyperactive side ie. Technically I have ADD but that diagnosis has been scrapped and is no longer accepted by mental health proffessionals, instead ADD has sadly been replaced as 'ADHD' which can be extremely misleading for people who are ignorant or who do not know anything about the disorder.

Additionally, I also have high-functioning autism, yet am a very capable person.

Clear, up-to-date, practical answers AND advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you so much

parkfell
11th Dec 2022, 09:31
You need to discuss this with your GP or contact your local AME. The CAA website will list AMEs by postcode/area.
The medical section on PPRuNe would probably be the better forum.

Bronso1994
11th Dec 2022, 09:45
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I didnt see a medical section. I will try and post on there.

Thanks

B2N2
11th Dec 2022, 11:13
Wait wait WAIT with any official diagnosis till you are 100% aware of what the repercussions are for a Medical application.
I generally have faith in the medical profession but an overzealous act based on a borderline case can have permanent consequences.
I have a few colleagues that are socially akward if not outright inept, no doubt they could be diagnosed with something if you care to look long enough.
Fine pilots and alright to work with though.
Again, something that may be very benign and would never hinder you in ‘normal’ life and work situations can prevent you from a Class 1 Medical because of some archaic rule.
On your medical application you’ll have to answer questions like “have you ever been diagnosed with”, it doesn’t ask “are you maybe aware”.
You could be stark raving off the charts but if a medical doctor has never put pen on paper you can answer truthfully.
Be aware I’m not advocating that you lie, just make sure you don’t disqualify yourself.

Doesn’t apply to you but some interesting info none the less:
https://adhdrollercoaster.org/adhd-news-and-research/faa-guidelines-on-adhd-no-rx-for-commercial-airline-pilots/

Bronso1994
11th Dec 2022, 12:14
Thanks very much for your detailed reply, B2N2. So can I ask you, would it be better if I would attempt to complete a possible class 1 medical prior to my diagnosis, ie very very soon? I have been looking up AME near where I live (in UK).

Do you know of any latest up-to-date information regarding these things in the UK (specifically London)?

B2N2
12th Dec 2022, 21:24
Thanks very much for your detailed reply, B2N2. So can I ask you, would it be better if I would attempt to complete a possible class 1 medical prior to my diagnosis, ie very very soon? I have been looking up AME near where I live (in UK).

Do you know of any latest up-to-date information regarding these things in the UK (specifically London)?

No, I think you misunderstood me.
A Class 1 is not a one time forever medical.
If you get a medical now followed by a diagnosis the medical you hold is automatically suspended as you no longer meet the requirements.
This is something between you and your GP so no need to answer here: is your normal life impacted? Can you function in a high demand environment? Some people can’t even without any form of ADHD or Asperger.
97% of the population can learn how to fly.
Not nearly that amount is suited to be a “pilot” in any of its many forms.
First thing you need to do is to find a doctor that can understand the CAA medical requirements and make a pre determination if anything would be in jeopardy.
At least in the US it’s not as much about the diagnosis in some cases but the medication that have undesirable side effects.
Adderol for instance is on the FAA ban list.