PDA

View Full Version : Lets face it..no one likes marching. These boys and girls are good

Coltishall. loved it
7th Dec 2022, 20:03
2367Sqn's 2013 Drill Squad - ACO National Drill Competition - YouTube

ExAscoteer2
7th Dec 2022, 20:12
An awful lot of 'Cow-Kicking' going on there, so no, they are not as good as you assert.

chevvron
7th Dec 2022, 20:21
2367Sqn's 2013 Drill Squad - ACO National Drill Competition - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGGKLIBMPo)
No different from any other ATC Sqdn including the one I used to command.(1811 Sqdn).
When I saw a TV programme (Masterchef I think) showing ITS at RAF Halton with regular RAF personnel, I was amazed how badly they were drilling.

Hydromet
7th Dec 2022, 22:59
Always good to see good marching & drill.

I'm told that the reason women march better than men is that they are counterbalanced.

meleagertoo
8th Dec 2022, 01:25
Two questions.
How can anyone be so ridiculous as to assert "no one likes marching"? I loved it, as did most of my colleagues.
What the heck is 'cow-kicking'? It never featured in any drill I ever did.

stevef
8th Dec 2022, 06:23
There's a lot of satisfaction in marching when it all comes together. I'll never forget the hours of being screamed by the drill instructors on bitterly cold winter days and told we were the worst intake they'd ever seen and the gradual melding into a smart and efficient parade. The best bits were the perfect-line abreast march-past formations and the spoke of a wheel thing where the left marker was virtually marking time and the thirty or so airmen to his right marching anti-clockwise in increasingly longer steps to maintain a straight line (what was it called?)
Pretty much everyone agreed that the most-hated sessions eventually became the most enjoyable. I could probably still do it today (50 years later) in a reasonably good fashion as long as it was with SLRs. :}
Check, T,L,V, Away!

chevvron
8th Dec 2022, 06:25
How can anyone be so ridiculous as to assert "no one likes marching"? I loved it, as did most of my colleagues.

Especially when being led by a pipe band.

bobward
8th Dec 2022, 07:27
Drill is a completely un-natural way of moving. Thus it makes the squad members think as they act. I did it for over 40 years, first as a cadet then ATC AWO and officer. Once the cadets got used to the idea, it gave a great sense of pride and achievement, which, I'm sure you'll agree, is a great thing. I always felt under pressure not to mess thinks up and let them down. I had a piece of paper in my pocket with the orders written on it. Whilst there was no way I could get it out and read it on parade, it was a kind of 'security blanket' for me.

As others have said, watching good drill is a thing of beauty, even now1 Well done all, keep it up!

AR1
8th Dec 2022, 07:27
I had a sense of impending doom each time they marched toward a dead end.
I must show this to " our lot" The Sqn was depleted during covid so a good two thirds are the two intakes this year, around half being September. We have some way to go to reach this standard in two parades a week.

huge72
8th Dec 2022, 07:55
I have always had the aircrew disdain of Drill, why march when you can fly! QR's used to state that to be on official parades you have to be above 5ft 6inches and below 6ft 10 inches and those who know me know that I definitely fall BELOW that bracket. This was all I needed to avoid it for almost all of my career. However since I joined the ATC on retirement I have been on more parades than I ever did in regular service. The cadets in the main really enjoy it and have immense pride in themselves when they get it right. In October, Bristol & Gloucester Wing attended camp at Halton. The Drill competition was judged by the Recruit Training School Warrant Officer, who stated publicly that he wish half of todays recruits would perform as well as our cadets. And this is after 2 years of COVID with Squadrons unable to parade and a whole raft of new recruits who were new to the corps.

Herod
8th Dec 2022, 08:01
I could probably still do it today (50 years later) in a reasonably good fashion as long as it was with SLRs

You newbies!! The last time I did drill with a rifle, it was a .303. Mind you, it's over 57 years

Krystal n chips
8th Dec 2022, 08:02
Two questions.
What the heck is 'cow-kicking'? It never featured in any drill I ever did.

Well, it's like this.....ok, drill is part of being in the military...no escaping that but, after a (very!) short while, the novelty wears off...rapidly !....the synchronised walking bit is all very well for those who enjoy pointless wasting of time.....tended to interfere with more valid usage of time, such as a social life, or, work...if you've joined the Army and one of the Regiments for whom drill is part of their work, fine...if you've joined the RAF to maintain / fly or any RAF role for that matter, then it can be dispensed with.

Not forgetting the associated BS of cleaning / kit preparation ....more time needlessly wasted.

There was also the fact, that, those who seemed to take a lot of interest in any of the above, did so as a cover for their inabilities elsewhere.

And besides which, I have a very sensitive nature....and was called some very rude words

DaveReidUK
8th Dec 2022, 08:44
Well, it's like this.....ok, drill is part of being in the military...no escaping that but, after a (very!) short while, the novelty wears off...rapidly !....the synchronised walking bit is all very well for those who enjoy pointless wasting of time.....tended to interfere with more valid usage of time, such as a social life, or, work...if you've joined the Army and one of the Regiments for whom drill is part of their work, fine...if you've joined the RAF to maintain / fly or any RAF role for that matter, then it can be dispensed with.

Not forgetting the associated BS of cleaning / kit preparation ....more time needlessly wasted.

There was also the fact, that, those who seemed to take a lot of interest in any of the above, did so as a cover for their inabilities elsewhere.

And besides which, I have a very sensitive nature....and was called some very rude words

I fear you're out of step with the other posters.

stevef
8th Dec 2022, 09:10
You newbies!! The last time I did drill with a rifle, it was a .303. Mind you, it's over 57 years

I did that with the Army Cadet Force in the late sixties, we always got the regular army's hand-me-downs. :) I can't remember how to port arms but might still be able to strip down a Bren gun.
I got my indoor marksman's badge with a .22 but when I came to fire the .303 on the range, the kick was too much for this skinny little 14-year-old, I lost confidence and failed to qualify. :{ RAF next stop,
The Queen's (King's) Colour Squadron has got to be one of - if not the - best precision drill units in the world.

LateArmLive
8th Dec 2022, 09:14
But not out of step with actual Military Aircrew...

MPN11
8th Dec 2022, 09:15
Ah, you can't beat a good Drill session for generating a bit of personal pride in getting things right as part of a team.

In my CCF Cadet days, I went on a Drill Course with the Irish Guards at Caterham Barracks. Quite stimulating! Four squads of Cadets drilling at the same time, with 'your' squad on the opposite side of the Square hopefully receiving your commands. Some years later, at OCTU, this all helped when doing and ordering drill. Although our Sqn WO (Mr Matthews) observed "You don't need to shout quite as loudly, Mr. MPN11."

Cornish Jack
8th Dec 2022, 09:29

Me too, initially... with (not to be indelicate !), the butt cheeks loosened to make the necessary noises - oh, and don't forget the hob-nailed boots !
My last such occasions were differently attired, with a sword and 'protecting' the CFS colours - indoctrinated into 'twiddly shuffling' turns on the spot by the 'Rocks' at Uxbridge ! Best bit ... last on, first off ! :ok:

DuncanDoenitz
8th Dec 2022, 09:41
Two questions.
Certainly saved us from having to walk anywhere.

WB627
8th Dec 2022, 09:47
Ah, you can't beat a good Drill session for generating a bit of personal pride in getting things right as part of a team.

In my CCF Cadet days, I went on a Drill Course with the Irish Guards at Caterham Barracks. Quite stimulating! Four squads of Cadets drilling at the same time, with 'your' squad on the opposite side of the Square hopefully receiving your commands. Some years later, at OCTU, this all helped when doing and ordering drill. Although our Sqn WO (Mr Matthews) observed "You don't need to shout quite as loudly, Mr. MPN11."

In my CCF Cadet days I also did a Drill Course with the Irish Guards at Caterham, much to the annoyance of my CO, who was most unhappy that one of his RAF Cadets wanted to do this. It was an absolutely brilliant weekend. He subsequently made me responsible for teaching the RAF section drill, something believe it or not I also enjoyed. I got a lot of satisfaction from turning the new recruits with two left feet, into a coherent and accomplished squad, who were always better than the Army section could manage.

One Easter camp at Brize Norton, we won the drill competition, which put a smile on our CO's face, but I still dont think he ever forgave me for attending that drill course at Caterham in the first place.

I returned to Caterham Barracks when I was billeted there for my gliding course at Kenly.

Happy days!

8th Dec 2022, 09:59
And we still don't know what 'cow-kicking' is.

Personally I thought those boys and girls were bloody good and if that was part of a competition, I hope they won it.

charliegolf
8th Dec 2022, 10:28
And we still don't know what 'cow-kicking' is.

Personally I thought those boys and girls were bloody good and if that was part of a competition, I hope they won it.

Agreed. Seen way worse Cranwell/Swinditz marching.

CG

chevvron
8th Dec 2022, 10:48
Agreed. Seen way worse Cranwell/Swinditz marching.

CG
And as I said at Halton but I should add this was after the brats departed to Cosford; worse still this edition of Masterchef was shown on TV a couple of years ago.

ExAscoteer2
8th Dec 2022, 10:52
'Cow Kicking' is when the thigh is brought to the horzontal but the lower limb does not hang vertically but slants backwards.

AR1
8th Dec 2022, 11:08
I can understand the Aircrew not getting the marching thing - Standing up for a long period when you're used to being sat down, i appreciate must be quite difficult, but as much as i hated getting pulled in to prepare for parades a stand out moment for me involved exactly that. Following the (shambolic) USAF out onto the front at Weymouth for the 40th DDay parade, in front of all those veterans and halting as one to an outbreak of applause. All that effort paid off. Brought a tear to my eye.
Only the once though.

chevvron
8th Dec 2022, 11:53
'Cow Kicking' is when the thigh is brought to the horzontal but the lower limb does not hang vertically but slants backwards.
That looks to be the way we were taught it, often by very experienced DIs especially the one at Cosford when I was still a cadet.
So what's wrong with that? The 2 squadrons I was involved with (2204 as Adj followed by 1811 as OC) were easily equal to the one shown on the tape.

Sloppy Link
8th Dec 2022, 12:10
I did that with the Army Cadet Force in the late sixties, we always got the regular army's hand-me-downs. :) I can't remember how to port arms but might still be able to strip down a Bren gun.
I got my indoor marksman's badge with a .22 but when I came to fire the .303 on the range, the kick was too much for this skinny little 14-year-old, I lost confidence and failed to qualify. :{ RAF next stop,
The Queen's (King's) Colour Squadron has got to be one of - if not the - best precision drill units in the world.
Brigade of Guards. I shall comment no further!

ExAscoteer2
8th Dec 2022, 12:38
So what's wrong with that?

Because it's wrong. The lower limb should hang vertically iaw AP818.

Fonsini
8th Dec 2022, 12:51
How dare you suggest that someone is better than the Belgian military…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzybSQkJNoY

stevef
8th Dec 2022, 15:06

Blimey! That lot would give RasPutin's mobiks a run for their ruble (assuming they ever got paid). :eek:

Arthur Bellcrank
8th Dec 2022, 15:44
K&C, funnily enough I recently stumbled on this blurry video of our pass out parade, we all seemed to be in step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviUFx73Wqk&ab_channel=MrWhelts

Ninthace
8th Dec 2022, 15:53

They must be aircrew, Each part of the brain multitasking independently while controlling a different part of the body. :ok:

Ninthace
8th Dec 2022, 15:57
K&C, funnily enough I recently stumbled on this blurry video of our pass out parade, we all seemed to be in step.

In my first tour, I was a flight commander for one of those blocks in the background, OC Block was a full time job for Apprentice Training Squadron but only a squadron secondary duty for those of us in ETS.

BEagle
8th Dec 2022, 16:05
Precison drilling from a certain Flying Circus....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jgrGtiYHE

Historical hysterical, definitely non-PC and not for today's snowflakes!!

Union Jack
8th Dec 2022, 16:23
In the words of the song, "There's a first time for everything!":rolleyes:

Jack

West Coast
8th Dec 2022, 16:46
A variation of just straight marching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggk-WHBfR7o

Hughes500
8th Dec 2022, 16:47
Having been a platoon commander at a training depot I used to have running battles with my platoon sergent over drill. I would always elect to do section attack and platoon attack drills or a good bit of tabbing with an 80lb began , after all in the early 1980's impressing Ivan on the Inner German Border with your marching ability wouldnt cut the mustard.

Krystal n chips
8th Dec 2022, 16:55

So we were....probably because it was the last time ..just think, if we hadn't spent all those wasted hours, we could have finished the course and started engineering for a living in about half the time !....nice shot of my former open plan, with panoramic views, top floor luxury spa accom though.

Arthur Bellcrank
8th Dec 2022, 17:03
So we were....probably because it was the last time ..just think, if we hadn't spent all those wasted hours, we could have finished the course and started engineering for a living in about half the time !....nice shot of my former open plan, with panoramic views, top floor luxury spa accom though.
Yes, the centre block, F Flight if I remember. Funnily enough my son was in the same block a couple of decades later.

Saintsman
8th Dec 2022, 17:55
I was once attached to a RN Squadron. On their big annual parade (I think it was called Divisions or something), we RAF types were hid somewhere at the back, because we marched faster and the drill commands were all different. It caused chaos during the rehearsals.

Big Pistons Forever
8th Dec 2022, 18:03
Marching is for the professional pedestrians (AKA Infantry). Personally as a proud member of Canada's Navy, I considered marching the Navy's test of my ability to find ways to avoid it in favor of more rewarding pursuits.

Flyhighfirst
8th Dec 2022, 18:08
Always good to see good marching & drill.

I'm told that the reason women march better than men is that they are counterbalanced.

Is this comment really needed? If not something constructive or positive to say why reply? A good laugh at the expense of others is not really on in this day and age thankfully.

Ninthace
8th Dec 2022, 18:11
And then there is the Queen's Colour Squadron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueu-UMUZuZQ

212man
8th Dec 2022, 18:35
Is this comment really needed? If not something constructive or positive to say why reply? A good laugh at the expense of others is not really on in this day and age thankfully.
No it’s not. It’s puerile and childish!

I used to like drill and marching, until I joined the RGJ - 140 paces a minute is brutal. Far harder than jogging/running the same speed.

cynicalint
8th Dec 2022, 18:38
All this 'cow-kicking' and 'these are much better' comments seem rather crass to me. Those teenagers have learned in their spare time, gathering a sense of self-discipline and team-work. I think a pat on the back rather than a cow-kick in the slats is much more appropriate. Well done to those keen cadets - exceptions in a 'snowflake' riddled world.. 'Venture - Adventure'

meleagertoo
8th Dec 2022, 19:11
Heaven spare us from this sort of miserable, humourless, unthinkingly brainwashed self-righteous puritanism.
How does an utterly harmless remark like that deserve such a sour and pompous relpy?
Lord fella, grow a sense of humour, can you?

ExAscoteer2
8th Dec 2022, 19:29
How does an utterly harmless remark like that deserve such a sour and pompous relpy?

Because it's rampant sexist drivel that is not welcone in the 21st Century.

Coltishall. loved it
8th Dec 2022, 19:49
Crikey ? I just last night saw this video on YouTube and was really impressed for their age how good they were. As a marcher I was was average and as others have stated, it's not the doing it, it's the BS before the main event. I could never walk/march in a straight line so used to catch the heels of the Infront person, removing their shoes! Anyway, I'm glad there's been a little bit of attention for these young people

Wensleydale
9th Dec 2022, 10:31
Not much cow kicking here perhaps? About turn in heels must be tricky!?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x540/drill_e84e17a4e1745ef9b89c21bf70ee8c62117fb4f8.jpg

76fan
9th Dec 2022, 11:07
I was once attached to a RN Squadron. On their big annual parade (I think it was called Divisions or something), we RAF types were hid somewhere at the back, because we marched faster and the drill commands were all different. It caused chaos during the rehearsals.
At the start of the Gazelle IFTU at Middle Wallop there were three AAC, three RN, one RM, and one RAF pilot together with several flight observers drawn from both the Army and Royal Navy. At a parade rehearsal it was absolute chaos at the order to "Halt" after marching on.... some stopping immediately, some taking extra steps, some stamping their feet. I seem to remember that in the end the sensible result was that we were all in position before "the guests" arrived and we just stood there and didn't move!

Rebus
9th Dec 2022, 11:30
Leconfield in the mid 70's, practicing drill for an AOC's inspection. The SWO is not amused, someone is out of step, SWO pokes him in the stomach with his stick and says, 'Boy there's an idiot on the end of this stick'. 'Not at this end', came the reply.
When I was at Halton, we had a pipe band and a brass band. Marching back and forth between the blocks and schools, we passed the station commanders house, his daughter kept a horse at the bottom of the garden. When the pipe band played, nothing, the horse carried on eating. With the brass band playing, you found out it was a stallion! he became very excited, lets just say he was very impressive and outstanding.
Again at Halton, its sports afternoon, as we are marching to the playing fields we pass a very attractive WRAF officer. Some idiot shouts out 'Drop em blossom', we all thought we were in deep do do's, but all she did was raise an eyebrow, shake her head and smile. Oh for the day's before political correctness.

MPN11
9th Dec 2022, 14:21
Not much cow kicking here perhaps? About turn in heels must be tricky!?
What an awful job, being a professional up-skirt photographer.

Flyhighfirst
9th Dec 2022, 15:52
Heaven spare us from this sort of miserable, humourless, unthinkingly brainwashed self-righteous puritanism.
Lord fella, grow a sense of humour, can you?

If the way you find humour is in denigrating and demeaning half the population just because you were born with a stick between your legs then so be it. I can have a laugh without putting someone down.

Saintsman
9th Dec 2022, 18:27
If the way you find humour is in denigrating and demeaning half the population just because you were born with a stick between your legs then so be it. I can have a laugh without putting someone down.

Yes, saying that women are better than men at marching is uncalled for...

chevvron
10th Dec 2022, 21:48
What an awful job, being a professional up-skirt photographer.
3rd rank, second file; skirt too long.
I won't mention their hair.

Hydromet
11th Dec 2022, 04:06
My comment was, firstly, an appreciation of good marching and drill, and secondly, a light-hearted comment at no one's expense. However, if you feel the need to be offended on someone's behalf, go right ahead. Not my problem.

DuncanDoenitz
11th Dec 2022, 10:30
Its not sexist, but an anatomical fact that (whilst lads and lasses come in all shapes and sizes) male/female bodies generally have different weight distribution and female hips are wider. A woman's body walks in an obviously different way to that of a man. Watch a pedestrian at a distance and you can identify the sex long before the physical features are apparent. Hardly surprising that women might march with a different gait.