PDA

View Full Version : NZ jet fuel shortage

TBM-Legend
7th Dec 2022, 17:31
Looks like jet A rationing in the Land of the Long White Cloud due to quality failure of last big shipment.

Shows vulnerability of NZ

Ollie Onion
7th Dec 2022, 22:20
Sure does, the fuel needs to be reprocessed which means shipping to a refinery. Used to be able to be done in NZ but the one and only refinery was closed last year. It would have been a 3 day process but now two weeks and relying g on the next shipment,

tiger-palm
8th Dec 2022, 00:23
NZ is going backwards at an alarming rate under this current government and they wonder why there's an increase in net migration.

tossbag
8th Dec 2022, 00:56
What a collective bunch of ******** the western world has become.

TBM-Legend
8th Dec 2022, 00:57
A strategic failure of country security.

But who cares they say as aircraft are harming the environment!

empacher48
8th Dec 2022, 02:54
I think there would be more to say if it was a national shortage of 91 octane or diesel.

Jet fuel doesn't mean much to the public, so they don't really care.

chimbu warrior
8th Dec 2022, 03:16
Does Australia have refining capability for Jet fuel?

I vaguely recall that virtually all refineries (or at least all that are left) in Australia were motor spirit only, so it is not inconceivable that a similar situation could occur in Australia.

PoppaJo
8th Dec 2022, 03:30
Does Australia have refining capability for Jet fuel?

I vaguely recall that virtually all refineries (or at least all that are left) in Australia were motor spirit only, so it is not inconceivable that a similar situation could occur in Australia.

I understand Altona was the last one which closed last year. Geelong still produces AVGAS however not overly helpful in moving millions of people. BP will produce SAF fuels mid this decade from Perth if anyone wishes to invest in that, likely for those wishing to make some noise that they are all over all things sustainability and so on…

thunderbird five
8th Dec 2022, 03:53
What's the big deal - airlines can convert all their fleet to electric surely?
Run a cable out the back and tow a glider full of batteries. Piece-o-piss.

jolihokistix
8th Dec 2022, 04:12
Water = sea water…(?)
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/130690232/flight-disruption-likely-ahead-of-christmas-after-jet-fuel-contaminated

PiperCameron
8th Dec 2022, 06:11
I understand Altona was the last one which closed last year. Geelong still produces AVGAS however not overly helpful in moving millions of people. BP will produce SAF fuels mid this decade from Perth if anyone wishes to invest in that, likely for those wishing to make some noise that they are all over all things sustainability and so on…

Technically speaking, Kwinana was the last one but otherwise - yep. Most all of our Jet-A1 these days comes from Singapore.

PiperCameron
8th Dec 2022, 06:17
Water = sea water…(?)
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/130690232/flight-disruption-likely-ahead-of-christmas-after-jet-fuel-contaminated

Sure sounds like it - but I do find it extremely hard to believe that one single shipment could stuff the entire country (because that isn't how the fuel supply system works) so I expect there's just a wee bit of artistic license in the press reports. Tankering to/from NZ is a seriously big deal and no airline is going to do that unless they really, really have to.

Capt SFB
8th Dec 2022, 11:34
Both Ampol in Brisbane and Viva in Geelong produce Jet A1. Geelong still produces Avgas also.
Cheers,
Capt SFB