PDA

View Full Version : Richard Branson in Australia

Wirraway
28th Aug 2002, 20:46
ABC news radio reports that Richard Branson will today
be on the inaugral VB flight Melbourne-Hobart.

Maybe the answer to the Airbus-Boeing order question
is near.

Wirraway

headset
28th Aug 2002, 21:45
My money is Airbus. I am sure that Patrick Corp didn't buy into VB for the nice facepaintings and girls. My guess is he wants teh underbelly space, and the Airbus gives him more.

Of course it will all come down to a matter of cost, but I would think that the price woudl be very competetive.

sprucegoose
28th Aug 2002, 21:59
Hang on to your money for now.

TIMMEEEE
29th Aug 2002, 00:38
Almost like Branson's a side show.

Gotta agree - Patricks bought into VB for the freight abilities which the good ol' 737 cant provide.

So who will pay for the Airbus endorsements guys???????

ccy sam
29th Aug 2002, 00:50
If airbus wins the order, they will pay for the training, its part of the deal. A few weeks in France would be nice.

Knockout
29th Aug 2002, 01:09
He could also be here to talk up a "Virgin Credit Card"

shakespeare
29th Aug 2002, 01:34
If Virgin go Airbus I will run naked through the terminal in Brisbane! It wont happen!!!!

Put me down sick
29th Aug 2002, 01:53
I'm with you Shakespear! But atleast the party will be fun!;)

Whiskery
29th Aug 2002, 02:22
:D

Wirraway
29th Aug 2002, 04:29
AAP

Virgin credit card launch delayed
August 29, 2002

THE launch of Virgin's credit card operations in Australia would be delayed up to six months, group chairman Sir Richard Branson has said.

Despite suggesting a fortnight ago the card would be ready by March next year, Sir Richard said today unforeseen complications such as the legal action over use of the Sydney Airport Terminal had forced the delay.

"We've launched in the UK, we're just launching in America, we will be launching soon in Australia," Sir Richard said.

"But right now we're just concentrating on building the Virgin mobile phone company and building Virgin Blue.

"I hope that we would have launched Virgin credit cards within 12 months."

Sir Richard said it made sense to use the credit-card service to tie together the company's retail, mobile phone and airline arms.

"Now that we've got Virgin retail shops, we've got the mobile-phone business doing very well and we've got Virgin Blue well established, it makes sense to have a credit card to try to pull the various companies together and offer the consumers good value," he said.

"It will offer much better interest rates than currently on offer, and discounts on your DVDs, your CDs, your air travel, your mobile phones."

Sir Richard said he had not yet looked closely at proposed changes to Australia's credit-card system released by the Reserve Bank on Tuesday.

It has been reported the basic interest rate on the Virgin credit card could be one-third less than that of existing cards.

Sir Richard was in Melbourne to promote Virgin Blue's new service from Melbourne to Hobart, which costs from $99 one-way for Internet bookings, with a fully flexible one-way fare of $209.

AAP

Wirraway
29th Aug 2002, 05:44
AAP

Tiger boss leads Virgin to Hobart
August 29, 2002

LED by its boss dressed as a Tasmanian tiger, Virgin Blue has flown into Hobart for the first time.

The arrival of its inaugural flight from Melbourne today one day short of its second anniversary in Australia means the discount airline covers every capital city.

Virgin group chairman Richard Branson bounded from the plane at Hobart Airport in a full-length thylacine outfit and with whiskers painted on his face.

"We heard the Tasmanian tiger was extinct," he said.

"As far as we're concerned, high fares in Australia are now extinct, so we thought it was appropriate to come here as an extinct Tasmanian tiger."

Virgin Blue, which already operates out of Launceston, will initially run one return service a day between Melbourne and Hobart.

Mr Branson said he expected demand would soon justify more flights and a direct service between Sydney and Hobart.

He also announced that to mark its second anniversary, Virgin Blue would offer 10,000 fares nationally at $22. However they would only be for the outward leg, with normal fares applying on the return flight.

Premier Jim Bacon, who was on the tarmac to meet the flight, said air capacity into Tasmania was now slightly more than when Ansett collapsed.

With the inaugural sailings of the new Bass Strait ferries on Sunday, the return of air competition to the Tasmanian capital was the "icing on the cake", Mr Bacon said.

AAP
==========================================

Just been posted be quick

Wirraway

http://www.virginblue.com.au/

VIRGIN BLUE'S 2ND BIRTHDAY PRESENT TO YOU
10,000 $22* ONE WAY FARES ON SALE TILL SUN SEPTEMBER 1 OR UNTIL SOLD OUT.
TAKE OFF TODAY! DIRECT ROUTES AUSTRALIA WIDE. INTERNET ONLY

Virgin Blue is turning two. Saturday August 31 marks the day that Virgin Blue took to the skies 2 years ago in Australia! To celebrate and thank you for your tremendous support, we're offering you a super low fare deal on every direct route, Australia wide (with the exception of fares on the Coffs/Sydney route where fares are available at $26* one way.)

The super low $22* sale fares are available online only from today, Thursday August 29 until midnight Sunday September 1 or until the 10,000 available seats are sold out. To take advantage of this offer, you'll need to purchase an everyday low fare to complete your trip and you'll need to leave for your trip anytime between today, Thursday August 29 and Sunday September 1. Your return trip will need to be completed by September 30 2002.

These fares are $22 one way inclusive of all taxes and charges and subject to availability.

fruitloop
29th Aug 2002, 06:18
Shakespeare
Can I bring a camera :D :D OK how about a couple of bottles of red !!:) :)

Cheers

Wirraway
29th Aug 2002, 07:28
ABC

Branson sues for Ansett terminal

The World Today - Thursday, August 29, 2002 12:40 (transcript)

JOHN HIGHFIELD: The high profile boss of Virgin Blue, Sir Richard Branson, is in Melbourne today, where he's taking his fight with the Sydney Airports Corporation to the public.

Sir Richard has begun legal action to get access to the former Ansett terminal. He says the former owners had agreed to a specific price, which under new owners Macquarie Bank, is not being honoured.

But the Sydney Airports Corporation says it's just another publicity stunt. In Melbourne, Ben Knight reports.

BEN KNIGHT: Sir Richard Branson's business success has had a lot to do with his public relations skills. He's never been afraid to talk to the media, so it's hardly surprising that in his fight with Sydney Airport Corporation, he's preparing to take it outside the courtroom.

Tomorrow, he'll launch a campaign to win public support for his cause. It's a tactic he's used before.

RICHARD BRANSON: We had a big campaign against British Airways who wanted to merge with American Airlines. We had "No way BAAA" on the sides of our planes, and that was the start of a big campaign which we ultimately won.

Down here in Australia, we will unveil the start of a very big campaign against the bank, and we will fight it until we win. I think it's very important that we do.

BEN KNIGHT: Sir Richard says a deal was done when the airport was owned by the government. But he's accused the Sydney airport corporation's new owners, Macquarie bank, of going back on that deal.

RICHARD BRANSON: I mean I am slightly old-fashioned, and that is that I believe that when someone agrees to do something they should do it. And I was promised that Sydney airport would be delivered at a specific price as was Chris Corrigan, as was Brett Godfrey, and the chairman of the airport at the time has also acknowledged that he promised us this.

And on that basis, we feel that the bank who's taken it over should honour that agreement. And in the meantime our passengers are suffering. So tomorrow we go to Sydney airport to start another campaign to try to make sure the public realise what's going on, and to try and bring some sense to the bank that have now taken over the ownership.

BEN KNIGHT: Sir Richard Branson says if Virgin Blue pays what Sydney airport want, they'll no longer be able to operate as a discount airline.

RICHARD BRANSON: If we pay the extra money, it just basically means that ticker prices will go up and ultimately if we don't fight these extortions, which is basically what they are, it will result in higher airfares.

Therefore, we're not prepared to pay the extra money because it's the start of a slippery slope. If Virgin Blue ends up having to charge what Ansett and Qantas charged, then the passengers will suffer and less people will travel. So we will fight it.

BEN KNIGHT: Sydney airport corporation have described it as another in a series of publicity stunts. A spokesman said Virgin blue have not discussed in a meaningful way, access to the former Ansett terminal.

Sir Richard says the dispute over Sydney airport has delayed his plan to introduce a Virgin credit card, but says that's something he plans to do within 12 months.

RICHARD BRANSON: We've been a bit slow on the credit cards. We've launched in the UK, we're just launching in America. We will be launching soon in Australia, but right now we're just focusing on building the Virgin mobile phone company and … [Branson gets interrupted…] building Virgin Blue.

ELEANOR HALL: Wishful thinking there from Sir Richard Branson, the head of Virgin Blue. Ben Knight with our report.

Transcripts on this website are created by an independent transcription service. The ABC does not warrant the accuracy of the transcripts. ABC Online users are advised to listen to the audio provided on this page to verify the accuracy of the transcripts.

© 2002 ABC | Privacy Policy

Boeing Belly
29th Aug 2002, 07:51
I don't normally comment on Virgin Blue, but when Branson says things like this "I believe that when someone agrees to do something they should do it" I'm left flaberghasted!! Wasn't there a hand-shake agreement between Branson, Dr Cheong and AirNZ recently that resulted in a very public tearing up of a cheque . Come on fellas, play the game. 40% of the Australian market is there for you to take, just get the cheque book out and it's yours.:confused:

apacau
29th Aug 2002, 12:36
Either the press release was wrong or they stuffed up the booking facility, because I booked SYD-PER-SYD over the weekend for $22 both ways.

$44 to Perth (tax incl)... I'm laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A300Man
29th Aug 2002, 13:22
Re Branson on his trip to Oz.

Surely Virgin must opt for the 737 as fleet replacement. Ideal ops conditions and far quicket turnaround than the A320.

Wirraway
30th Aug 2002, 02:51
AAP

Virgin eyes 40 new planes
August 30, 2002

VIRGIN Blue boss Sir Richard Branson says the airline plans to expand, with a tentative order for 40 new aircraft and applications to fly international routes.

Sir Richard said the discount airline would decide on a $3 billion order in the next couple of weeks and had just applied to fly to Hong Kong.

He said Virgin Blue also had other international routes in mind.

"Bali's one of my favourite places," he told reporters in Sydney.

"I'm sure that we'll be applying to fly to Bali at some stage."

Sir Richard said the airline was waiting to see if Qantas Airways bought into Air New Zealand before starting trans-Tasman routes.

Meanwhile, he said he was willing to meet the head of Sydney Airport Corporation Ltd (SACL) to work towards an end to the impasse over access to the former Ansett terminal.

However, he was only prepared to do so if the airport acknowledged a verbal agreement with Virgin made earlier this year.

The head of SACL last night urged the meeting.

Today, Sir Richard will launch an advertising campaign as his latest move in the row over the 18 gate terminal.

In Melbourne yesterday he said a handshake agreement made while the terminal was still under Government control should be honoured by the new owners.

"If they're willing to honour what their chairman David Mortimer said was a contract and a deal with us, then I'm very happy to sit down with them and sign a bit of paper," he told Channel Nine at Sydney Airport this morning.

"If they're just putting out a statement saying they want to meet with me to renegotiate an agreement that they've already agreed with us, I don't really want to meet with them."

Sir Richard said he would call SACL owner Macquarie Bank Ltd to clarify its position today.

Virgin has already initiated legal action in the NSW Supreme Court seeking orders to uphold its claimed agreement for access and long-term use of former Ansett gates.

Earlier this month, the airline said it would rather spend $15 million upgrading its existing facilities than pay "exorbitant rents" at the former Ansett site.

AAP

MoFo
30th Aug 2002, 03:22
If Richard sues S.A.C. will he turn up in court dressed as a Tasmanian Tiger or whatever the childish get up was?
Addressing the judge. "Yeronner, I'm at a loss to know why no one is taking me seriously"

shakespeare
30th Aug 2002, 06:05
Fruitloop. You bring some RED and I will run through regardless (not that you would enjoy the spectacle).

My prediction is that VB will operate upwards of 40 737 800's and a larger type for international operations, probably 767-400 or 777. All this to happen within the next 2 to 3 years.

The sky is the limit at the moment and "I'M EXCITED" to quote a famous ozzie slooth!

VB will be in the SYD terminal berfore Xmas.

Have a good weekend!

skystar1
30th Aug 2002, 06:50
So Shakespeare

You really do think Virgin will 'raise the bar'.
Many can only laugh at your predictions.
You are 'EXCITED'? Dont waste your energy.

That he is mad, 'tis true; 'tis true 'tis pity;
And pity 'tis 'tis true.
--Hamlet, II:2
:)

rescue 1
30th Aug 2002, 07:28
New jets are one thing...but they need somewhere to park them, and court cases take years!

Buster Hyman
30th Aug 2002, 09:46
Can a 777 fit in the Domestic Express terminal?

Keg
30th Aug 2002, 10:32
Can't wait until VB want gates at SIT. The 'bank' is going to just love them when they walk through the door. Would think that VB may not have much room to manouevre on that one! That should be seriously fun to watch!

Wirraway
30th Aug 2002, 12:47
Reuters

Friday August 30, 4:49 PM AEST
Branson takes shock PR tactics to Australia
By Sophie Hares

SYDNEY, Aug 30 (Reuters) - He did it against British Airways. Now flamboyant British billionaire Richard Branson is bringing his shock PR tactics to bear on an Australian bank he says wants too much money to let him use a Sydney airport terminal it owns.

In a campaign reminiscent of the "No Way BA-AA" that emblazoned the tailfins of Virgin Atlantic aircraft when the British giant and American Airlines were mulling a tie-up, Branson vowed to paint "Macquarie - what a bunch of bankers" on his local Virgin Blue fleet.

He accused Sydney Airport of backing away from a handshake agreement on access fees to the terminal of collapsed Ansett Australia before the airport was bought by a Macquarie Bank

-led consortium for A$5.6 billion ($3.08 billion).

"If we give in to this sort of extortion, the costs of this airline will go up, and if the costs of the airline go up, air fares will go up and that's something we won't let happen," Branson, 52, told reporters in Sydney on Friday.

"Macquarie, stop the Sydney airport rort" -- using an Australian word for scam -- will be another slogan Branson said discount carrier Virgin Blue's Boeing fleet would carry as it launched an aggressive campaign to embarrass Macquarie.

Virgin Blue, which is 50 percent owned by Australian firm Patrick Corp , wants access to the terminal left vacant by failed Ansett last year as it expands in the domestic market.

Virgin currently operates out of a cramped, makeshift terminal on the fringes of the airport and said this week it has begun court action against Sydney Airports.

The airport owners have vowed to vigorously defend the action.

The two sides have been wrangling for months over gate fees.

Sydney Airports Corp Ltd (SACL) wants to run the second terminal as a common user facility, leaving space for any new entrants to Australian skies.

Dominant carrier Qantas , which operates out of the other main terminal, has agreed to take a number of slots in the former Ansett one and SACL spokesman Peter Gibbs says talks are taking place with Singapore Airlines .

Branson, famous for his publicity stunts as much as his business acumen, said he was prepared to smoke a "peace pipe" with Sydney Airports if a deal could be struck.

Both parties were understood to be meeting later on Friday.

Casting a bank as a villain in the eyes of the Australian public is never a difficult chore. But it was unclear whether Virgin Blue's campaign against Macquarie would resonate among the travelling public.

Travellers waiting in check in queues snaking around the small Virgin Blue terminal were unimpressed on Friday.

"This is the first time I've flown on Virgin Blue and I'll probably never do it again," said Robyn Lea, who paid A$360 to fly from Sydney to Melbourne.

Wirraway
30th Aug 2002, 17:19
Sat "Weekend Australian"

Virgin fires up attack plan
By Steve Creedy
August 31, 2002

RICHARD Branson threw down the gauntlet to Virgin Blue executives yesterday, predicting the airline's pre-tax earnings would top $100 million this financial year as it moves towards a partial float.

The Virgin Blue founder, in Australia this week, said he expected Ansett's collapse would allow the carrier to build significantly on its 2001-02 profit, believed to be about $35 million.

Virgin executives said the target was "not unrealistic".

"It's going to be tough and certainly Sydney airport doesn't help but we believe it's not beyond the realm of possibility," commercial operations chief David Huttner said.

Earnings of $100 million would be at the high end of expectations and would give the airline's plans for an initial public offering in the first half of next year a significant boost.

Sir Richard said he did not believe the row about access to the former Ansett terminal in Sydney airport would prevent the float but it was important to resolve the dispute before proceeding.

He scotched suggestions he would use the float to exit the airline, saying he expected it to involve as little as 20 per cent of the airline's stock split between between Virgin Group and co-owner Patrick Corp.

"We'll only float as much as we have to float to get a public listing away," he said. "So it may be 20 per cent, not 25 per cent. Ideally, we'd like to see an equal percentage coming from both of us, so roughly 10 per cent each."

The Virgin chief's visit also signalled an escalation of the bitter dispute with Sydney Airports Corporation Ltd and Macquarie Bank.

Virgin Blue is daubing slogans like "Macquarie – a bunch of bankers" on its planes in an effort to boost public support for its cause.

The airline believes SACL reneged on an agreement to give it up to nine gates at the Ansett terminal for about $18 million a year and has taken legal action it hopes will force the airport to honour the deal.

SACL denies the claim and says it will vigorously defend itself. It has accused Virgin officials of contradicting each other and ignoring its offer to resume talks.

Sir Richard yesterday accused SACL of "bully boy" tactics and said Virgin would not pay the "extortionate" prices the airport now wanted because it would add to costs and fares.

He would also supply Virgin's lawyers with an affidavit outlining conversations in which airport chief executive Tony Stuart promised a better deal for Virgin if it did not bid for the Ansett terminal.

"In retrospect, I think we should have bought the terminal," he said. "We had no reason to believe we couldn't trust these people and therefore we didn't bid for it because we felt the end result could be lower costs and lower fares."

While Sir Richard admitted there was a danger the terminal dispute could restrict the airline's growth in Sydney, he remained bullish about the airline's overall expansion prospects.

He said it was applying for services to Hong Kong and other international routes. Moves to fly to New Zealand would depend on whether Qantas succeeded with its bid to buy a stake in Air New Zealand.

The airline would also make a decision on a deal to buy planes worth $3 billion from either Airbus or Boeing in the next two weeks.