PDA

View Full Version : News helicopter video of excellent nosewheel up landing near Pittsburgh.

Si Guy
6th Dec 2022, 15:16
There is an excellent video shot from a local news helicopter that made it on-scene before a landing by an Aero Commander with a stuck nosewheel. It was broadcast live on the local news, which explains why the reporters aren't fully prepared to describe what they are seeing, lol. (Sorry you'll need to sit thru the ad, first).

The pilot does everything right in this text book landing. He held the nose off the ground for as long as possible, and shut off the engine so the prop would stop rotating, before finally the nose lowers. And if you look closely you can see the passenger's door pop open just after touchdown, as well. According to flight tracking, he made several passes along the runway in the hour before the landing. I wonder if he tried touching down to see if he could jar the nosewheel loose.

Text book nosewheel up landing, kudos to the pilot.

But apparently I'm not allowed to post URLs due to my rookie status. If you want to see it you can Google "WTAE Emergency landing" and you should be able to find it. Sorry.

India Four Two
6th Dec 2022, 23:05
Here it is. The pilot had the presence of mind to motor the prop to the horizontal!

https://www.wtae.com/article/rostraver-airport-emergency-landing/42158149

Si Guy
6th Dec 2022, 23:47
Thanks for posting the link! He did an excellent job all around.

FUMR
7th Dec 2022, 14:50
Unfortunately that link is not available in all countries. Any other reference?

340drvr
7th Dec 2022, 15:04
Here's a short version of the video:
Plane makes emergency landing at Rostraver Airport - YouTube

The reporters in the first link don't quite have it right, there were 2 people on board, you can see the pilot get out at 1:25 (in the first link video), dark jacket/light pants. Commanders have both pilot-side and passenger-side doors.

Si Guy
7th Dec 2022, 16:06
The reporters in the first video link were calling it live, as it happened, their news helicopter had only just arrived on the scene. They didn't even know there was a problem with the landing gear until the plane nosed over. There were several minor issues with their reporting, but they were doing their best with no background info and no aviation training.

340drvr
7th Dec 2022, 16:17
The reporters in the first video link were calling it live, as it happened, their news helicopter had only just arrived on the scene. They didn't even know there was a problem with the landing gear until the plane nosed over. There were several minor issues with their reporting, but they were doing their best with no background info and no aviation training.

Agreed. Compared to many over-sensationalised reports (of other aviation incidents), they did a good job.

FUMR
7th Dec 2022, 20:14
Thanks 340drvr

jetpig32
9th Dec 2022, 19:41
Why not just keep it running? Especially if near tbo!

DaveReidUK
9th Dec 2022, 21:07

With no nosewheel, it was only ever going to be a full stop landing.

Why add the expense of an engine shock-loading inspection ?

punkalouver
9th Dec 2022, 21:28

I believe the time on the engine is taken into consideration for the payout.

These days, it could take a very long time to get a prop or engine back. One might be able to save it and need minimal other work done locally. It does look like the prop may have struck the ground anyways. Perhaps it needs to be very close to horizontal to avoid damage.

I wonder if a prop strike like that with the prop is stopped requires an engine overhaul.

First_Principal
10th Dec 2022, 21:20

Perhaps because some people are sympathetic with machinery, and simply do the right thing with regard to the aircraft and the insurance company. Thoroughly professional job by this person, much respect :ok:

340drvr
11th Dec 2022, 17:55
I believe the time on the engine is taken into consideration for the payout.

These days, it could take a very long time to get a prop or engine back. One might be able to save it and need minimal other work done locally. It does look like the prop may have struck the ground anyways. Perhaps it needs to be very close to horizontal to avoid damage.

I wonder if a prop strike like that with the prop is stopped requires an engine overhaul.

Not necessarily overhaul, but there's a Lycoming AD concerning prop strikes and required inspection, they consider most impacts a "prop strike," even if a hangar door were to hit a prop with the engine off, or such.

punkalouver
11th Dec 2022, 19:14
Not necessarily overhaul, but there's a Lycoming AD concerning prop strikes and required inspection, they consider most impacts a "prop strike," even if a hangar door were to hit a prop with the engine off, or such.
Thanks,

I forgot about that one. I wonder what the expectation is for other engines with a strike while not turning. Does the FAA have anything about prop strikes and overhaul/inspection?