PDA

View Full Version : EASA type rating to FAA licence

4th Dec 2022, 22:45
Hello there.

Have not been to this thread in years, maybe this has been asked before but here it goes. I am flying the B757/767 on my EASA ATPL licence as first officer, and am wondering if it possible to get that type rating into my FAA CPL/ME/IR licence? Not sure if it matters but I have around 2000 hours on type, 8000 total time.

MarkerInbound
4th Dec 2022, 23:01
You would have to go through a FAA approved type rating program which would include systems instruction and simulator training. There would then be a checkride to issue the type rating. Some training centers have a short course for people with time on type and some use computer based training for much of the systems training.

rudestuff
5th Dec 2022, 03:08
If your EASA TR is current then you can get it put on your FAA cert without any training or check ride. Everything you need to know is on the Internet, start by looking through the ACs.
I will point out that getting the TR on your FAA certificate is pointless: You already have an ATPL, so the only reason you'd need an FAA certificate is to work in the US. If you manage to get a job in the US it won't be on a 757/767 and they'll pay for your ATP anyway.

30tywst
5th Dec 2022, 07:00
rudestuff Could you point out some ACs or where to start reading?

awair
5th Dec 2022, 11:16
You will need to go to a Training Center (like PanAm).

They run approved courses.

I was advised that you couldn’t get the Type Rating at Commercial level (only Private or ATP).

No regulations to quote, other than read through Part 142.

The process, if you really want an ATP is:

ATP-CTP
Knowledge Test
Type Rating and combined ATP Checkride.

Good luck.

7th Dec 2022, 12:03
You would have to go through a FAA approved type rating program which would include systems instruction and simulator training. There would then be a checkride to issue the type rating. Some training centers have a short course for people with time on type and some use computer based training for much of the systems training.

I heard that you would not have to go through the training if you have a certain amount of experience, looking for info if someone here has gone that route

12th Dec 2022, 08:16
thanks for the info, I think you are right, thinking of dropping into an FSDO next time in the USA and ask them directly

awair
12th Dec 2022, 23:39
Unfortunately the FSDOs do not really have the answer. A couple of o points to emphasise:

A 61.75 certificate has the Type Rating annotated as Z/, whereas the full ATP is annotated as A/. The rating is effectively meaningless.

As stated earlMarkerInbound , you need to contact a Training Center. They know what they are approved to offer, and are the gatekeepers to the process.

Yes, there is a Systems and technical training part, but this is no more than you would do on an annual refresher. This is typically completed online.

Good luck.