PDA

View Full Version : The Real Truth . . .

DOME
28th Aug 2002, 16:40
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=13960

I posted this earlier in Reporting Points - the text is also there.

bealine
28th Aug 2002, 18:44
Dome - I have to say that your posting is, unfortunately, no more than educated opinion - there is, unfortunately, not a shred of hard evidence - even of an anecdotal nature - with which to back up your opinion.

That having been said, I do tend to agree with your sentiments, which is why I said "unfortunately...."

Without evidence though, it is unlikely that any airline management will take your posting seriously.

I remember a junior manager visiting London Gatwick a few years ago, just as the internet was in its infancy here in the UK. "Right, people!" he began, "What do you think our competitors are going to be like in the future?"

"Well, sir", a colleague began, "We have Fax, Internet and Video Conferencing just around the corner. High Yield Business Traffic won't need to travel as much! Businesses are cutting costs, they certainly won't be putting junior executives in First and Business Class!"

"Boll*cks!", was the reply, " I'm not interested in that sh*t! I'm only interested in what our competitors - you know - other airlines are going to be doing!"

That junior manager now sits on the British Airways Board!!! Frightening, isn't it!!!

PAXboy
28th Aug 2002, 21:40
I have worked in telecommunications for 22 years and have travelled a fair bit in my time. Over the past 12 years, I have never stopped being amazed at how little video and audio conferencing equipment gets bought. Or - gets bought and not used.

The article that was linked was very good and much truth in it. But they continue to fly. They do so because it is still considered a major perk. I mean like MAJOR perk. It is a perk because it allows them to:
1) Get away from home
2) Not be under the supervision of their boss/wife
3) Earn loadsa FFMs to take the kiddies to Disney

Other reasons exist too and I have benefitted a lot from it on occasions. I have ALSO had the misery of frequent flying when all I wanted to do was go to the office!

But it is still considered macho in many quarters of the world and is a benefit that is not taxed and so the reasons continue.

Bealine - your information on the clever little boy that has made it to the board? Yes it is frightening and ... not surprising. :(

DistantRumble
29th Aug 2002, 12:30
I miss the transatlantic flying boat service - now that was service !

No plebs either.

DOME
29th Aug 2002, 14:42
Bealine - not "my" posting per se - the content that is!

Funny isn't it - the organisation in which I work is literally worldwide - I deal with people on every continent and in most countries in real time (and know some of the people with whom I deal as well as my bestest friends) - but I've never physically met most of them!

I voluntarily moved away from the travelling/meeting part of the job several years ago, and have enjoyed the job far more since.

A colleague was in the other day (still travelling) and from a) the look of him, and b) his comments; he is of the same attitude as the writer of my posting, and will soon be joining me in "domestic bliss" (so to speak . . .).