PDA

View Full Version : Light show between 40 and 30 West

back to Boeing
20th Nov 2022, 13:47
Flying eastbound last night. My colleague decides to settle in for some controlled rest. So headset on and properly tune in to 123.45 and 121.50. Lots of excited chatter. Not unusual as it was “sporting” on the tracks last night.

But no it wasn’t the usual ride reports. Someone nattering on about the light show. And then many many more voices chirp in. The busiest I have ever heard 123.45. Something happening between the moon and Venus (later worked out not to be Venus. But a very bright fixed celestial object. Mars maybe?)

discussion of lights blinking. Then going left and right. A trio of them. Dancing around each other. Then disappearing for a few minutes. Then coming back. I thought meh. Satellites. But then I think most of my fellow aviators are pretty experienced. And suddenly bang. I saw them myself. It was absolutely surreal. I have never seen anything I can’t explain. It wasn’t satellites. It wasn’t the orionid meteor shower. It wasn’t spaceX’s starlink satellite train. About 10 aircraft from all nations could see it. And then when we hit about 25 west whatever it was was gone.

Chatting to some mates in other airlines, whatever this phenomenon is has been happening for several days. Always looking east.

No one in the air had a satisfactory explanation.
Again I have seen satellites, spacex starlink and meteors and it is none of the above. Many many pilots have seen whatever it is. I’m not saying it’s little green men, but it is definitely a unexplained (for now) flying objects.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone seen them? Probably a little niche as it seems to be new and probably only visible from the flight deck.

John Marsh
20th Nov 2022, 14:25
Collective suggestibility? You were all listening in to the excited comments.

Were you perhaps looking too intensely at celestial objects in the dark, thus making them appear to move about?

I am not seeking to dismiss what you saw; I offer some explanations which are worth consideration. Most unusual sightings can be explained as mundane phenomena...which is not necessarily proof of mundanity!

Do the lights maintain any kind of formation? If so, do they do so whilst changing position? Do they change colour?

tom775257
20th Nov 2022, 14:37
A few weeks ago we saw similar, but over the Balkans area. Numerous aircraft reporting the same thing to ATC, from northern Greece up to Croatia. On approach to SKG we had an extremely bright unusual fixed light in the sky (at night). Northbound we saw 3 lights moving as described, aircraft closer to it said they could see the objects above them moving in a manner aircraft aren't known to move, estimated at FL500. No idea what they were.

IBMJunkman
20th Nov 2022, 15:37
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/480x400/4a72046d_2788_4f22_a2a0_f438e555eef4_77d1f31f65e4bad6e2b7f95 a7a17d86b2f75644a.gif

Haraka
20th Nov 2022, 16:28
"To serve Man " IIRC :)

Ninthace
20th Nov 2022, 16:32
It wasn't around the time of the Artemis launch?

back to Boeing
20th Nov 2022, 17:06
It wasn't around the time of the Artemis launch? Artemis did cross my mind. But whatever it was it was moving too fast across the field of view to be out of the upper atmosphere. And the mass hysteria angle did cross my mind as well. But it has been seen over many days by many different crews.

Discorde
20th Nov 2022, 17:34
Many unexplained 'UFO' type phenomena will be the military of various nations exercising various pieces of kit (which of course they'll deny all knowledge of).

SpringHeeledJack
20th Nov 2022, 18:20
If we occam away the more exotic possibilities, it is most likely that as the above poster says, some form of space-mil tech being tested, or used. Maybe in a portion of the sky that apart from pilots in their darkened cocpits, no man would be there to see it (whatever). All those billions that seem to disappear in projects that don't stand up to scrutiny must be going somewhere and these sightings could well be the result.

SQUAWKIDENT
20th Nov 2022, 19:16
I guess it's not the easiest thing to film on a phone with all the cockpit lighting and glass in the way but I wonder if anyone managed to get some video of the phenomena.

Raduga-Burya
20th Nov 2022, 19:44
Flying eastbound last night. My colleague decides to settle in for some controlled rest. So headset on and properly tune in to 123.45 and 121.50. Lots of excited chatter. Not unusual as it was “sporting” on the tracks last night.

But no it wasn’t the usual ride reports. Someone nattering on about the light show. And then many many more voices chirp in. The busiest I have ever heard 123.45. Something happening between the moon and Venus (later worked out not to be Venus. But a very bright fixed celestial object. Mars maybe?)

discussion of lights blinking. Then going left and right. A trio of them. Dancing around each other. Then disappearing for a few minutes. Then coming back. I thought meh. Satellites. But then I think most of my fellow aviators are pretty experienced. And suddenly bang. I saw them myself. It was absolutely surreal. I have never seen anything I can’t explain. It wasn’t satellites. It wasn’t the orionid meteor shower. It wasn’t spaceX’s starlink satellite train. About 10 aircraft from all nations could see it. And then when we hit about 25 west whatever it was was gone.

Chatting to some mates in other airlines, whatever this phenomenon is has been happening for several days. Always looking east.

No one in the air had a satisfactory explanation.
Again I have seen satellites, spacex starlink and meteors and it is none of the above. Many many pilots have seen whatever it is. I’m not saying it’s little green men, but it is definitely a unexplained (for now) flying objects.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone seen them? Probably a little niche as it seems to be new and probably only visible from the flight deck.

"They" seem to be at it again.
Well documented phenomena.
Did you get an idea of direction of movement, overall?

back to Boeing
20th Nov 2022, 19:57
"They" seem to be at it again.
Well documented phenomena.
Did you get an idea of direction of movement, overall?
in my field of vision right to left. Then disappearing and then starting at the right again. Generally between the moon on the left and a star/planet same height as the moon on the left

military crossed my mind. But why do it in a place where hundreds of people in flight can see it.

why not do it in a bit of “space” where very few people can see it. South Pacific for example. As opposed to direct line of sight of the nat tracks.

I heard on 123.45 that crews were trying to video it but too dim to be picked up on camera phones.

as to the moderator that moved it from JB to R and N. Fair enough your train set. But can I claim my prize for being the first ever thread to go in this direction as opposed to the opposite way 😱

Raduga-Burya
20th Nov 2022, 20:27
in my field of vision right to left. Then disappearing and then starting at the right again. Generally between the moon on the left and a star/planet same height as the moon on the left

military crossed my mind. But why do it in a place where hundreds of people in flight can see it.

why not do it in a bit of “space” where very few people can see it. South Pacific for example. As opposed to direct line of sight of the nat tracks.

I heard on 123.45 that crews were trying to video it but too dim to be picked up on camera phones.

as to the moderator that moved it from JB to R and N. Fair enough your train set. But can I claim my prize for being the first ever thread to go in this direction as opposed to the opposite way 😱

Thanks for the description. Out of curiosity, any long obvious North-south movements?

I suggest a report to a certain NGO that has the biggest record of reported events up to now, and no not muffon or whatever it is called.
Actually you will find many similar incidents in their records.

WhatsaLizad?
20th Nov 2022, 20:47

Were you perhaps looking too intensely at celestial objects in the dark, thus making them appear to move about?

I am not seeking to dismiss what you saw; I offer some explanations which are worth consideration. Most unusual sightings can be explained as mundane phenomena...which is not necessarily proof of mundanity!

Do the lights maintain any kind of formation? If so, do they do so whilst changing position? Do they change colour?

Maybe let the pilots discuss this "rumour" on the "Professional Pilots Rumour Network".

HOVIS
20th Nov 2022, 21:26
A Chinese rocket stage came apart in LEO a couple of days ago. Could it be debris from that?
Angry Astronaut.

Mr Optimistic
20th Nov 2022, 21:29
Right to left then gone. Then another set right to left again and gone ?
Does right = south ?
Objects high enough to still be illuminated by the sun then as they track north into the earth's shadow ?
Something, well 2 groups of 3 of them, in low polar orbit ?

birdspeed
20th Nov 2022, 21:53
‘Back to Boeing’, that was a perfect description of what I and many other aircraft also saw in the mornings of the 11th and 16th Nov.
Initially, I put it down to the SpaceX starlink cubesats moving in varying orbits and catching the reflecting sun. But, as another pilot pointed out, they were not moving in a fixed orbital path….to add, I saw up to 4 moving lights at one time. They would be about as bright as the ISS at their brightest. Both nights they were in exactly the same part of the sky, above the eastern horizon, to the right of the bright star Arcturus. Which seems, is where you saw them too.

Flugzeug A
20th Nov 2022, 22:14
Fascinating.
I expected far more cynicism , nice to see the lack of it so far.
‘ Back to Boeing’ & ‘birdspeed’ , did you report it to your employers?
Is there a policy on any airline that makes it incumbent on you to do so , or would that leave you open to criticism?
What did the other people on the flight deck with you think of what you saw?

megan
20th Nov 2022, 22:47
The narrator is a highly experienced F-14 RIO, ex CO of USN Academy Annapolis and ex editor of the USN "Approach" flight safety magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z1lQ9Gp8Vk

https://youtu.be/6z1lQ9Gp8Vk

Loose rivets
21st Nov 2022, 00:19
"it was no illusion, and it was being intelligently handled"

Captain James Howard. BOAC

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=476030439840305

It's my long term favourite UFO story.

BTW. Jupiter is still very bright. Look at its moons (binoculars) now cos you're not going to be alive when it comes this close again.

John Marsh
21st Nov 2022, 00:42
A few weeks ago we saw similar, but over the Balkans area. Numerous aircraft reporting the same thing to ATC, from northern Greece up to Croatia. On approach to SKG we had an extremely bright unusual fixed light in the sky (at night). Northbound we saw 3 lights moving as described, aircraft closer to it said they could see the objects above them moving in a manner aircraft aren't known to move, estimated at FL500. No idea what they were.
Viewing objects, not 'just' lights, is a step further. They move unlike aircraft with which we are familiar...are there any manoeuvres which seem to be beyond any imaginabe Earthly technology? Infeasibly abrupt changes of speed and/or direction?

In a way, these sightings fit nicely with the US Navy 'chiclet' sightings. They involve aviation professionals who are likely to be received as credible witnesses.

If the lights are from classified military activity, the UFO/UAP misidentification will be welcome.

Flugzeug A
21st Nov 2022, 01:54
Erm- is the position given mid-Atlantic?

wiggy
21st Nov 2022, 06:17
Right to left then gone. Then another set right to left again and gone ?
Does right = south ?
Objects high enough to still be illuminated by the sun then as they track north into the earth's shadow ?
Something, well 2 groups of 3 of them, in low polar orbit ?

It would certainly would be interesting to know how long before local sunrise these observed events happened.

Cadet Colin
21st Nov 2022, 07:45
Observed the same lights last night. Starting around 35 west and finally losing the movement and the different intensity of light at 25 west.

CharlieUniform
21st Nov 2022, 07:52

I saw the same thing back to Boeing . Time stamp on the photos I took say 0056Z on 20/11/22 (photos are rubbish though!). We were on track Z at 39,000. Heard similar report on the radio, then started to see the lights at around 40W, they stopped around 30W. Phenomenon very similar to how you describe it. The purser thought we were losing the plot, so we asked someone on 12345 to explain what was happening!

I have no explanation either i'm afraid - Mr Optimistic 's seems the most plausible so far, but I have to say it looked very different to any other satellite ive seen whilst flying before.

​​​As John Marsh mentioned above, I did also think it was a groupthink scenario, and that my brain was matching what I was seeing to what we were hearing, but i'd like to think im quite cynical and rational, and therefore fairly sure it did happen as described!

It was mentioned on the radio that the best documented sighting of a similar event is covered in a video on US news - type "UAP racetrack" in youtube. This doesn't shed much light on matters, but is a similar account of what I saw.

Would love to hear if anyone sees it again. Heading east at 40W - look just above the horizon at midnight!

Flarkey
21st Nov 2022, 09:50
Hi, sightings like this have been reported all over the globe recently, particularly over the Atlantic, the Pacific and just last week over Brazil. We've been investigating the sightings on Metabunk.com and have determined that they are mostly starlink satellites flaring. But note, its not the usual 'train' of starlink that is often seen shortly after a launch, these are deployed Starlink satellites that are in low-earth orbit and are flaring near the day/night terminator.

Hopefully these videos will explain it. back to Boeing , birdspeed and CharlieUniform does this look like what you saw....? If you have any photos or videos of the lights (with location & time) then we can probably check if flaring Starlink Satellites were visible in that area of the sky at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VmrRGln1XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8BCl2yVU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8u1GHHz2Ko

And here's links to two threads that show our rationale;
Why "Racetrack" UFOs are mostly Starlink Flares | Metabunk (https://www.metabunk.org/threads/why-racetrack-ufos-are-mostly-starlink-flares.12714/)
Why are Starlink "Racetrack" Flares [Mostly] Reported from Planes? | Metabunk

I saw the same thing (https://www.metabunk.org/threads/why-are-starlink-racetrack-flares-mostly-reported-from-planes.12720/) Time stamp on the photos I took say 0056Z on 20/11/22 (photos are rubbish though!).

​​​​CharlieUniform any chance you could post the photos and your metadata? Are you sure that the photo timestamp was ZULU/GMT and not EST/GMT-5?

TheEdge
21st Nov 2022, 10:06
Well, Mick West will deny the UAPs regardless.

Flarkey
21st Nov 2022, 10:11
Maybe The Edge , but in this case he and I have investigated and demonstrated our rationale as to what the UAP was. Feel free to comment upon our methods and conclusions on Metabunk.com (http://www.Metabunk.com).

TheEdge
21st Nov 2022, 10:13
Maybe The Edge , but in this case he and I have investigated and demonstrated our rationale as to what the UAP was. Feel free to comment upon our methods and conclusions on Metabunk.com (http://www.Metabunk.com).

Thanks for the invitation, will also ask Chris Letho to participate :)

Electreng
21st Nov 2022, 12:57
Not sure if this has anything to do with the phenemenon discussed here, but a bright object was visible several times last week around 22:00-23:00 local time, from northeast Germany, direction SW (appr. 230 deg), at an elevation circa 40 degrees (estimated). The object did however not seem to move by any great extent. When viewed through a binocular, it appeared as an oval shape with sharp edges.

birdspeed
21st Nov 2022, 17:08
Thanks ‘Flarkey’,
So it seems these sightings are the Starlink satellites. We are seeing them well over the Eastern horizon, perhaps over 1000nm ahead of us. The large number of satellites, their concentration around 53N and mixed in with some some polar orbits are then being illuminated in a fairly small area of the sky by the winter sun. Causing an illusion that they are manoeuvring around each other.

Normally, in the winter we don’t see satellites so far from sunrise. It just so happens that these satellites are particularly reflective when low in the sky and just happen to be visually seen from so far away, long before dawn.

I guess we’ll get used to seeing them all time from now on.

And being well over the horizon from the surface, you won’t observe them from the ground. Only Airline pilots will be reporting them.

Flarkey
21st Nov 2022, 17:53
And being well over the horizon from the surface, you won’t observe them from the ground. Only Airline pilots will be reporting them.

That is true for the brightest flares, but the recent UFO Flap in Porto Alegre in Brazil and the Jimmy Church video from Palmdale California shows that these can be seen from the ground. But pilots will definitely get the best view and are more likely to see them against the dark cloudless sky. And they're more likely to notice weird lights in the sky to ensure it isn't an airprox or collision risk.

back to Boeing
21st Nov 2022, 19:46
On the one hand Ockham’s razor probably tells me it’s these flares. But something does niggle me. Starlink have been launching for years. I have been crossing the Atlantic for years. Including during the pandemic. Why are they only massively prevelaar now. As in the last few days.

birdspeed
21st Nov 2022, 21:34
‘Back to Boeing,’ 3 years ago they started launching 50 or so satellites at a time. Now there are a little less than 3000 in the 550km high orbit. So I guess we’ve now reached a time when the orbits are fairly full, so there is a constant stream of potentially visible satellites especially at 53N/S.

Also, I’ve seen somewhere that these satellites have flat bottoms so may reflect light better at shallow angles. This means that we can see them far over the horizon during the winter and not the summer as the angles don’t work to be seen. So this winter is probably the first time that it’s become so noticeable.

The polar orbital sats have been a recent addition too, adding to the display.

txl
21st Nov 2022, 22:41
Could be BlueWalker 3, a new huge comms satellite that was unfolded last week.

BlueWalker 3 (https://ast-science.com/spacemobile-network/bluewalker-3/)

BlueWalker 3 Sightings (https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/11/14/bluewalker-3-sightings/)

meleagertoo
21st Nov 2022, 23:23
I think it's a hallucination caused by long-term exposure to chemtrails toxins...

CharlieUniform
22nd Nov 2022, 09:23
Thanks for the links Flarkey . Apologies, you’re right. It’s EST, so 0556z. Location data on the photo only shows departure airport, but FR24 track log shows our location at that time as:

05:57AM 44.97 -36.01 → 74° 598kts 11887m

Thanks again for the explanation (although I was secretly hoping it involved little green men!)

Flarkey
22nd Nov 2022, 09:55
CharlieUniform Thanks for the correction. I quickly punched in your lat long and time details into in-the-sky.com and it shows that there were a bunch of satellites towards the NE at the time of your 'sighting'. The red ones in the image below are illuminated by the sun, which is directly below the horizon on your 74° heading. These are the conditions in which we understand that the Starlink flares will be observed.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1008x774/capture_edcc29f523b4673ada8f13b6ffe40056673e7870.jpg

draglift
22nd Nov 2022, 17:13
John Marsh wrote Collective suggestibility? You were all listening in to the excited comments.

Most definitely not! I have been flying the atlantic for 34 years and have never seen anything unusual. However on 17th Nov 2022 I was eastbound and between 40 West and 30 West I saw things I have never seen before.

There were a couple of objects moving which were clearly not aircraft and may well have been satellites. Not very unusual. However then there was a bright light similar to Venus (but not Venus which I have seen hundreds of times) but more like an aircraft head on with its landing lights on, except it suddenly went sideways at great speed for 10 seconds but then reversed its direction.

That disappeared but a few minutes later there was another not so well lit object with another similar one visible. These two then moved very fast in the same direction but not in sufficient formation to be a reflection and then one reversed direction and then after a pause the other changed its direction and followed slowly catching it up.

About this time an American accented voice on 123.45 said "Is anyone else seeing some very strange lights in the sky around 40 West?" Several other voices joined the conversation and there was then a discussion and someone suggested Elon Musk's Starling satellites. However everyone agreed they could not have changed direction like that.

siftydog
22nd Nov 2022, 21:04
Saw the same thing over Central Europe last week. Initially thought Starlink but the terminator was way too far west by then to catch them in LEO so something else. Other unusual thing was whatever was generating / reflecting the light had it’s back to the direction of the sun at the time of maximum intensity. I’ve not even seen the ISS or Venus that bright before.

Flarkey
22nd Nov 2022, 21:27
Saw the same thing over Central Europe last week. Initially thought Starlink but the terminator was way too far west....

Can you provide any more details of your location, date & time for this? (A flight number would be great) I'd like to check to see if Starlink is a possibility here... 👍

Gordomac
23rd Nov 2022, 07:59
Planet Earth is in man-made turmoil right now and when this has happened in the past , UFO sightings have increased .

In 40 years of professional flying, I have been witness to only one sighting but heard of many. Of course we are not alone !.

MENELAUS
23rd Nov 2022, 12:06
You’ve been on the Commanderia again Gordo ?

Fishwillfly
23rd Nov 2022, 12:33
Much talk on internal forums about this. Very hard to take pics in low light conditions. Has also apparently been seen over the pacific.
Numerous sources, reliable and consistent accounts. Sometimes the lights move left to right, sometimes create shapes (eg triangles) an sometimes just coming on and off (what I’ve seen) like stars but with constant periodicity.
At first I thought just a slowly rotating geostationary satellite catching the sunlight, but the movement is quite unlike previously seen satellite activity.

John Marsh
23rd Nov 2022, 13:13
John Marsh wrote

Most definitely not! I have been flying the atlantic for 34 years and have never seen anything unusual. However on 17th Nov 2022 I was eastbound and between 40 West and 30 West I saw things I have never seen before.

There were a couple of objects moving which were clearly not aircraft and may well have been satellites. Not very unusual. However then there was a bright light similar to Venus (but not Venus which I have seen hundreds of times) but more like an aircraft head on with its landing lights on, except it suddenly went sideways at great speed for 10 seconds but then reversed its direction.

That disappeared but a few minutes later there was another not so well lit object with another similar one visible. These two then moved very fast in the same direction but not in sufficient formation to be a reflection and then one reversed direction and then after a pause the other changed its direction and followed slowly catching it up.

About this time an American accented voice on 123.45 said "Is anyone else seeing some very strange lights in the sky around 40 West?" Several other voices joined the conversation and there was then a discussion and someone suggested Elon Musk's Starling satellites. However everyone agreed they could not have changed direction like that.
The lights suddenly moving at great speed, then reversing direction do push at the boundaries of the Starlink explanation. What you observed does not sound like the footage of Starlink satellites linked to earlier.

Thank you for your post. If I may reiterate: I do not seek to dismiss unusual sightings out of hand. I am keen to achieve as much clarity as is currently possible.

AnglianAV8R
23rd Nov 2022, 20:25
You’ve been on the Commanderia again Gordo ?

St. Pandemonium works too ;)

nuisance79
26th Nov 2022, 19:46
Do we all accept that Starlink Flares are the answer then?

I for one think its worth extended discussion and I would prefer more clarity on what we are seeing.

Flarkey
26th Nov 2022, 22:17
Do we all accept that Starlink Flares are the answer then?

I for one think its worth extended discussion and I would prefer more clarity on what we are seeing.

Unfortunately extended discussion won't get us very far. Eye witness testimony will always be questioned as it is subjective. The only way we can get clarity on what has been seen is through a video with accurate time & location date (or a flight number & time so that location can be derived through ADSB data). This is how we have objectively confirmed that all the videos so far have been Starlink. And it's the only way that a claim that the lights could not have been Starlink will be confirmed too.

WideScreen
27th Nov 2022, 10:42
Unfortunately extended discussion won't get us very far. Eye witness testimony will always be questioned as it is subjective. The only way we can get clarity on what has been seen is through a video with accurate time & location date (or a flight number & time so that location can be derived through ADSB data). This is how we have objectively confirmed that all the videos so far have been Starlink. And it's the only way that a claim that the lights could not have been Starlink will be confirmed too.
Or, maybe just take the expert explanation for granted and leave the tinfoil hat at home (and the superstitious discussions for the bar) ?

Really, all the proper, science based explanations have passed in this thread, there is no doubt any longer.

albatross
27th Nov 2022, 14:32
JOKE —-I can reply with the truth and photos to prove it but the noise of all the black helicopters circling the house is distracting and now. there are 2 fellows in black suits at the door wanting to do a survey of my computer use in exchange for a free pen they are showing me…(RED FLASH).
Hummm…..who are you guys and I forget what I was about to post…oops all my photos are missing from my computer…strange!——JOKE OVER.

Flarkey
27th Nov 2022, 18:37
Or, maybe just take the expert explanation for granted and leave the tinfoil hat at home (and the superstitious discussions for the bar) ? Really, all the proper, science based explanations have passed in this thread, there is no doubt any longer.

Er...I'm the one who has provided the science based explainations in this thread! 🤣 👍

Flarkey
30th Nov 2022, 13:20
https://www.tiktok.com/@joshfit4flight/video/7171617548033592622?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=mobile&sender_web_id=7102303869933225478

jds_portugal
30th Nov 2022, 13:35
Hello.
Last night i saw something that i cannot explain. This phenomena happen for 2 hours until I start my descent. I was flying to Barcelona vor and i spotted what i thought that was a satellite. Commented with my FO, but he did not see it. After a few minutes, the same pattern. That raised the alarms, and now we both started to pay more attention.
We saw what looked like a star, and then another star appeared on the right side and crossed the first star. After a few seconds both disappeared. Was about out height, on the horizon. We saw several times this pattern, separated by some 3/4 min. Always about 1 o clock of our aircraft, witch-ever heading we were flying.
Reaching Madrid, the pattern changed a little. Just one light, stronger, that appeared to move in a circle on the same plain as ours. When was inbound was a strong light, than started to fade and disappeared. When we started descend to Lisbon, we crossed some high clouds and we stop seeing that.
I reported it to the controllers, and asked if there was a military exercise or an military area. They did not have any info on that.
It was my first time seeing something like that, i cannot understand what it was, but pretty sure that is something that someone can explain.

Flarkey
30th Nov 2022, 15:20
Hello.
I reported it to the controllers, and asked if there was a military exercise or an military area. They did not have any info on that.
It was my first time seeing something like that, i cannot understand what it was, but pretty sure that is something that someone can explain.

Hey jds_portugal If you send me the date, time & flight number that you saw this I can check to see if the Starlink explanation checks out....? :8 (Feel free to DM me of you don't want the details published).

jds_portugal
30th Nov 2022, 15:26
Hey jds_portugal If you send me the date, time & flight number that you saw this I can check to see if the Starlink explanation checks out....? :8 (Feel free to DM me of you don't want the details published).

Hello.
Was flight TP843, from FCO to LIS. I think first sight around the border space from marseille to barcelona control, and then until after ccs vor.

Thanks

Flarkey
30th Nov 2022, 15:50
jds_portugal here's your flight track. For simplicity I have taken a point on your flight near Madrid, at 20:37UTC

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/749x464/111e_e21f398f368cbfda6b59e80bef4e1e85b32a945c.jpg

At this time the sun was practically due West and about 44 degrees below the horizon. These fit with the condition where we expect to see Starlink flares. Checking on in-the-sky.org shows that there were multiple Starlink Satellites on the horizon around that time. So it is at least 'possible' that you saw Starlink flaring. If you check the videos I posted earlier in the thread you can see what they look like and if they matched what you saw.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1125x626/111ddde_092cd75cc5093aab5ce2c8672271f6d3eb1ccee6.jpg

JanetFlight
1st Dec 2022, 02:38
Meanwhile in North Atlantic »»»

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/z9557u/airline_pilot_chatter_on_12345_during_the_recent/

25F
1st Dec 2022, 03:29
https://xkcd.com/1235/

John Marsh
1st Dec 2022, 20:03
https://www.tiktok.com/@joshfit4flight/video/7171617548033592622?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=mobile&sender_web_id=7102303869933225478
It wouldn't play for me.:{ I offer a quote from Stanton T. Friedman: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanton_T._Friedman#UFO_investigations_and_advocacy)
Not all UFOs are flying saucers, but all flying saucers are UFOs.
Except the Avrocar, of course.:8

JanetFlight
1st Dec 2022, 20:46
It wouldn't play for me.:{ I offer a quote from Stanton T. Friedman: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanton_T._Friedman#UFO_investigations_and_advocacy)

Except the Avrocar, of course.:8

As well theTransavia PL-12 Airtruk <3

fox niner
2nd Dec 2022, 03:31
We saw the light show as we crossed England this early morning. About 5 lights, swirling around each other, due east.
About 5 degrees above the horizon.
this was our position:
N5120.0 W00300.0
At 0325Z.
klm714

Flarkey
2nd Dec 2022, 08:16
We saw the light show as we crossed England thisxearly morning. About 5 lights, swirgling around each other, due east.
About 5 degrees above the horizon.
this was our position:
N5120.0 W00300.0
At 0325Z.
klm714

FlightRadar24 has you on a heading of 072 degrees and at N5120.0 W00300.0 at 0318Z at this time, so heading roughly ENE.
In-the-sky.org shows that there were a bunch of Starlink satellites just above the horizon at ENE, and directly above the sun which was about 42 degrees below the horizon. These are the same conditions for which the Starlink Flares have been confirmed in the past.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/580x386/xx_486f42bc2a3716486fb187bd8d6a34a97b8f90b0.jpg

Speed_Alive_V1
2nd Dec 2022, 09:40
Hello all, I'm an air traffic controller operating airspace in the eastern chunk of the North Atlantic. There have been a big increase of these sorts of reports from aircraft recently. We often get asked "is there any military activity?", but nothing displayed on radar.
Occam's razor to me just says satellites flaring, as often the reports are similiar to the comments above, where the sightings are higher and far away, brightly lit before suddenly dimming, which is consistent with solar flaring. If you sit outside and watch for a while you will see the ISS flaring and dimming as it passes overhead. I know you are all well aware of that, and what satellites look like though. You're the ones up there seeing them every night of your working lives.

However yes the swirling/ziz-zagging effect that flight crews are seeing is perplexing and hard to explain. Perhaps what we are seeing is just multiple satellites/starlinks suddenly flaring/dimming quickly, and giving the effect of individual movement, when in reality it is a group transiting in and out of view, displaying an illusion of rapid direction/velocity change etc. Just a hypothisis. It is a strange one though. Maybe we are actually being infested with other flying objects and our commercial airspace isn't as pristine as we like to think it is.

We did have an interesing report from a crew at FL410 very recently saying they saw a group of bright lights "below and dogfighting" at 0500utc, we attirubuted that to some training sortie getting airbourne off a aircraft carrier without telling anyone, or maybe what looked below was just far away and actually well above.

Who knows. It's always curious to get reports though, makes night duties a bit more interesting.

Reports always seem to increase from November onwards every year though, which makes me think it's related to a lower winter sun relative to the viewing position causing increased visual flaring events.
Kudos to Flarkey above for their efforts and for applying science and reason.

Auxtank
2nd Dec 2022, 12:03
A very thorough and erstwhile investigation done there. Well done to all concerned.

fox niner
2nd Dec 2022, 15:39
Thanks Flarkey for that info.

what we saw overhead England this morning lasted for about 15 minutes. There were 5-7 lights moving around a central point. They were brightening and dimming, with such a bright-dim cycle taking about 45 seconds to complete. All light points did this, not at the same time but as a result sometimes 2 would be at their brightest and the others were at least faintly visible.
All lights were continuously observable.
Especially the concentric pattern was something I have never seen before. This swirling motion was both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

jokes about “CIA satellites above Ukraine” and the like is the best that we could think of.

They were absolutely not moving in a straight line at any time, from our vantage point.

Mick West
2nd Dec 2022, 22:18
All lights were continuously observable.
Especially the concentric pattern was something I have never seen before. This swirling motion was both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

They were absolutely not moving in a straight line at any time, from our vantage point.

Very interesting. Could you possibly draw a diagram that represents how they moved - particularly the "concentric pattern" and the "swirling motion". Maybe add a Moon for angular scale.

MockPuppet
3rd Dec 2022, 01:16
Someone posted the raw video of one of these sightings;
reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/z982oi/user_uploaded_video_deleted_earlier_today_airline/
Was this one of your guys? Or were you in the air when this sighting went down?

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2022, 08:49
I’ve recently seen a video taken from a passenger window, showing what appear to be similar swirling lights to those described on this thread. However, the lights were below the aircraft, rather than ahead/above in the distance.

back to Boeing
5th Dec 2022, 11:23
Due to a lovely bout of Covid I’ve not been at work since I started this thread. Skimming the thread it seems that it’s likely to be starlink (am I correct that that’s the consensus?). Just to put that to bed, has anyone seen it going west?

Flarkey
5th Dec 2022, 12:15
Due to a lovely bout of Covid I’ve not been at work since I started this thread. Skimming the thread it seems that it’s likely to be starlink (am I correct that that’s the consensus?). Just to put that to bed, has anyone seen it going west?

It has been seen going west across continental USA. Here's one Reddit post...
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/y2n5lf/mufon_case_125796_pilot_records_orbs_over_co_us/

Here's the investigation we did... (turned out to be starlink again)..
Another Pilot Sees Orbs Circling Over the USA ( MUFON Case 125796) | Metabunk (https://www.metabunk.org/threads/another-pilot-sees-orbs-circling-over-the-usa-mufon-case-125796.12693/#post-281600)

PH-Chucky
27th Dec 2022, 09:23
Similar occurence yesterday evening 2045-2115Z north of Scotland and was seen by multiple aircraft on frequency (Scottish) and 121,5.

Sighting was in NW direction and seemed fairly low for such a bright satellite (as if it was FL350-FL450). We thought maybe some military A/C doing refueling or dogfighting with their lights on as it seemed some kind of racetrack pattern were being followed. Moved right to left at high speed, almost to fast for regular aircraft so it fit’s the description of the Starlink Flares as being mentioned.

Only thing weird to me is that it was extremely bright and low on horizon without any distortion of the atmosphere. I’ve seen passes of ISS which were less brighter than yesterday’s sighting. Somehow amazed that such a small Starlink would generate such a strong reflection at such a low angle towards the N’Pole.

konaman
28th Dec 2022, 01:50
How interesting. Might make me try to stay awake on overnight Toronto Gatwick after transit up from Cayman.

wiggy
28th Dec 2022, 07:10
Only thing weird to me is that it was extremely bright and low on horizon without any distortion of the atmosphere. I’ve seen passes of ISS which were less brighter than yesterday’s sighting. Somehow amazed that such a small Starlink would generate such a strong reflection at such a low angle towards the N’Pole.

Sometimes size doesn't matter :bored: , what's doing the reflecting does.....

As an example Iridium "glints" or "flares" that were produced by the early generation Iridium satellites were as bright as magnitude minus 8 or so, brighter than ISS...and those were produced by sunlight reflected off a six foot by three foot'ish metal panel (an antenna).

Iridium Flares (http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html)

ShyTorque
28th Dec 2022, 10:26
Star link satellites, like all others, travel in straight lines.

Reports concerning these lights state that they change direction and “swirl” around each other. How can that be attributed to star link satellites?

JanetFlight
28th Dec 2022, 13:00
Star link satellites, like all others, travel in straight lines.

Reports concerning these lights state that they change direction and “swirl” around each other. How can that be attributed to star link satellites?

I was going to ask precisely the same...!??

Flarkey
28th Dec 2022, 13:06
I was going to ask precisely the same...!??

Because many Starlink satellites flaring one after another in the same part of the sky can look like one object with lights continually swirling around.

I've seen these lights myself and they do look like circling planes. But when viewed through binoculars you can see that they are indeed multiple satellites.

ShyTorque
28th Dec 2022, 15:32
But the OP, (Back to Boeing), specifically said he thought they were not.

WideScreen
28th Dec 2022, 16:40
Let me write some notes on this.

Starlink's satellites do have a very distinct shape, largely one big and flat solar panel, mounted perpendicular on the further rather planar satellite body itself. And a who line of these satellites do line-up in the same orientation with their solar panel (of course slightly deviating according to their earth orbit). Be in the right spot, and you can see the sunlight mirroring in the solar panel, though not for all satellites at the same time.

When the whole (including the viewer) moves, the satellites giving the perfect line-up and providing the sunlight mirroring will "jump" among the line of satellites.

Another item relevant is the light polarization. Given the high-tech solar panel materials, the sunlight mirroring will depend on the polarization, or better, the opposite, where the mirroring will only let through specific polarization directions (which in turn also varies with the viewer position).

Compare this with the good old Polaroid sunglasses, taking away the sunlight reflection from the water surface in swimming pools. Polaroid sunglasses take away the horizontal polarized reflection glare according to the vertical polarization direction of the sunglasses. Turn your head 90 degrees flat, and you have the sunlight reflections in the water back.

Because the satellites as well as the viewer are moving in 3D, the light polarization at the viewer end is probably going to change, because the satellite mirroring surface is not a "mirror" though more a refraction pattern, with the effect that the mirroring is depending on the detailed surface structure of the solar panels as well the incident angles (more than one mirror angle) (so, it's not a bathroom mirror type of reflection).

Another aspect what may cause the perception of "dancing" satellites is, the anisotropic refraction characteristics of glass (cockpit windows). The result is that the same light source will start to end up as 2 or 3 points after it passes the glass. This even happens when the light goes perpendicular through the glass. This is a very strange aspect, not many people know about.

When, may moons ago, in university, my daily driver was a good old and rusty 1976 Austin Mini-van, where the rear door windows "doubled" the headlights of cars behind me. An offset of roughly 2–3 times the diameter of the headlight of the car behind me. The displacement angle was around 30 degrees with the vertical. When taught in physics college about the anisotropic refraction, it became clear to me, this was the reason of the double headlights visible in my car. In those days, there were no fancy led-lights, just ordinary filament bulbs, with no polarization, or whatever.

When such an anisotropic refraction happens, with light, where the polarization does change, the light source will seem to "move" between the 2 anisotropic refraction locations. I think, this is something happening with the described "light-show", where satellites seem to move around each-other (on top of the "next satellite mirroring). Looks very strange, until you understand what is happening with the polarization and the anisotropic refraction.

For those interested in this anisotropic refraction aspect, look-up the wiki articles around this subject.

JG1
29th Dec 2022, 14:42
Flying from Canada to Europe on 28th, at 0530 UTC for about an hour, some strange lights were visible. They moved relative to each other, sometimes quite fast, and occasionally became really bright, almost as if they were aircraft within 5nm with LED landing lights. Perhaps brighter. Our heading was 094, alt F320, between 40w and 30w. They didn't seem to move any higher above the horizon than when we first saw them. I'll post some sequential photos, you'll have to view them in the dark but they're quite clear. The brightest (reddish) light on the right is another aircraft ahead of us. Area of interest is mid lower beneath the arc of stars, a group of 3 lights which form a changing shape triangle. In one photo you can also see how one of the lights seems to zoom up almost vertically whilst the other stars remain static. Photos taken about 7 seconds apart.

JG1
29th Dec 2022, 14:50
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054729_dcefbfa2714b5c2aa8c030520053f890b14f57dc.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054734_c1e2b7826e6da8289f20afec74e3a5cc053fe8eb.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054741_17d458616015c32e6ff93b85acf407728aeeb094.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054746_40432b5c6339f955ec7bf977101c4a0dbb6a8237.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054754_d8cdfd1527f21f310c5429bfd2124041febdd074.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_053951_b52452da25d9698843872f7c62d1e44487d9088f.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_053958_62f9a24b8a144653524d6130b0db5fb8be3fb743.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054030_f39f82a37148fd19f65ac20f5464be8f068100a9.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054313_de1e02137285e9351b9846f746630a6e801614a9.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054320_6d884ead2e2c6c72e10f372d491e1eb2f66f8bfa.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x935/20221228_054326_dd98ea7f1fcd6f85362be06608f854188e5683d2.jpg

bam160
30th Dec 2022, 10:02
We saw it on the 21th of DEC enroute from DEL to SZX. I tried to find nearby objects through the Star Walk2 App, but the only thing it showed even remotely close to the lights was a x-ray telescope (Chandra).

poppiholla
5th Jan 2023, 05:47
Er...I'm the one who has provided the science based explainations in this thread! 🤣 👍

however the explanations you are referring to are for completely different and commonly seen light and flare patterns. One that is quite normal and easy to identify by it's regular pattern and trajectory, even from the ground. This is something different.

Flarkey
5th Jan 2023, 07:54
however the explanations you are referring to are for completely different and commonly seen light and flare patterns. One that is quite normal and easy to identify by it's regular pattern and trajectory, even from the ground. This is something different.

If it is something different why do the videos, times and locations all match the parameters for Starlink flares...? Do you have any examples of objective data where it doesn't match ... ?

nuisance79
6th Jan 2023, 07:27
There is a lot of those Star Link satellites up there now (plus many other independent groups of similar satellites) so is it going to come to the point where whatever is seen, its quite likely it would coincide with one or a bunch of them being quite close anyway? Just posing the question....

Flarkey
6th Jan 2023, 07:54
There is a lot of those Star Link satellites up there now (plus many other independent groups of similar satellites) so is it going to come to the point where whatever is seen, its quite likely it would coincide with one or a bunch of them being quite close anyway? Just a posing the question....

That is true, but the investigations that we have done on Metabunk show more than just a coincidence. The movement of the lights in the videos from aircraft (and the ground) match EXACTLY with the calculated movement and track of the Starlink satellites as calculated in the Stellarium astronomy software. We can even identify precisely which Satellite is flaring and recreate all the movement see in the video. The correlation is probably best shown in this video from Palmdale California, but there are others. To do this requires accurate time and location data and that is usually available from the video metadata, or it can be determined using ADSB track logs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8BCl2yVU0

nuisance79
7th Jan 2023, 20:42
Is there any examples that you have not been able to map to star-link?

Flarkey
8th Jan 2023, 14:03
Is there any examples that you have not been able to map to star-link?

In the examples where we have good location & time data they have all mapped exactly to Starlink.

albatross
10th Jan 2023, 20:12
Since everybody will be looking up anyway.

https://www.space.com/comet-c2022-e3-ztf-closest-to-sun-thursday-jan-12-2023

bam160
14th Jan 2023, 10:29
Again yesterday flying eastbound over China at ~2130-2200z.

Flarkey
14th Jan 2023, 13:08
Again yesterday flying eastbound over China at ~2130-2200z.

Makes sense. Eastbound over china would be around UTC+7 (depending on exactly where you were). So ~ 4.30am - 5am looking east would get the early morning flares from the rising sun over the horizon.

Flarkey
19th Jan 2023, 11:42
Another report of a similar 'ufo' sighting has been obtained by The Black Vault. Seems likely that this is Starlink satellites flaring again....

https://www.theblackvault.com/documentarchive/theyre-back-faa-air-traffic-control-audio-released-of-ufo-sightings-by-multiple-aircraft/

“They’re Back!”: FAA Air Traffic Control Audio Released of UFO Sightings by Multiple Aircraft – 11/11/22The Black Vault received word of this incident by someone who wishes to remain anonymous, but had access to the FAA database that listed the report. It was sent to The Black Vault in mid November of 2022.

From the below, it appears the date and time of the sighting is: 0640 EST / 1140 UTC on 11/11/2022.

The text related to the incident, as sent via email to The Black Vault, stated the following:

TIME/DATE: 11:38z 11/11/2022

TYPE OF INCIDENT: UNIDENTIFIED AERIAL PHENOMENON: SALT LAKE ARTCC (ZLC), SALT LAKE, UT, (ARTCC)

INCIDENT DETAILS: Initial/Closeout
Call Sign: UPS834
Aircraft Type: B752
Origin: ONT ONTARIO
Destination: BOI BOISE
New Destination: N/A
Remarks:
0640 EST / 1140 UTC 11/11/2022
UPS834/B752 reported unidentified aerial phenomenon above the aircraft while N-bound at FL360, 74 NM West of Yelland Field VOR/DME (ELY) Ely, NV . The unknown phenomenon was 2-3 white lights circling at approximately FL740. FDX1879 / B763, OAK-SLC, E-bound at FL370 reported the same.

ACTIONS/FOLLOW-UP/RECOVERY:
N/A

DIAGRAM MAP: N/A

SOURCE OF INFORMATION:
DEN

https://youtu.be/YmXREu6A2T0

whatdoesthisbuttondo
20th Jan 2023, 11:10
I saw this the other night over the Atlantic, my F/O noticed it and I sagely explained it was just starlink satellites flaring.

He asked why the satellites were changing direction as they normally follow a set course.

I replied that it’s apparently an optical illusion. It didn’t seem convincing at the the time tbh and they definitely looked like they were changing direction.

I’ve been watching satellites pass through the sky for years over the Atlantic and these definitely look like they’re rotating in formation and changing direction.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
20th Jan 2023, 11:40
There is a lot of those Star Link satellites up there now (plus many other independent groups of similar satellites) so is it going to come to the point where whatever is seen, its quite likely it would coincide with one or a bunch of them being quite close anyway? Just posing the question....

Quite.

My wife asked me accusingly, why I just liked girl’s photo on Facebook.

There was definitely some starlink satellites flaring nearby so I said it was that, that she saw and used an astronomy website to prove it scientifically.

She said what she saw (me liking a photo) didn’t look like starlink satellites following a set path and flaring so I said it’s just an optical illusion.

Yay science!

unworry
21st Jan 2023, 08:46
Extraordinary until proven otherwise

Still in the "likely starlink" camp, but glad that everyone is happy to report these strange light shows. The more observations the more data to rule it in or out

boguing
21st Jan 2023, 09:43
There is a pair of satellites which have an unusual flight path. As I first understood it they each fly a helical path, revolving as a pair in a helix around a shared orbit. Stuff I've just read implies that one flies a normal orbit but the other has a helical path around the former. In the right circumstances I can imagine they'd catch the eye.

https://earth.esa.int/eogateway/missions/terrasar-x-and-tandem-x

Perhaps someone more familiar with interpreting orbits could work out if these could have been in the areas mentioned.

(There may be others operating in the same way, but I heard about these particular ones at the time of their launch).

Flarkey
30th Jan 2023, 08:12
Another selection of audio, this time from CONUS. Numerous aircraft reporting bright and 'orbiting' lights near the eastern horizon just before dawn. These are again flaring Starlink Satellites.

Note that on this video the playback of the FlightRadar24 is about 35mins behind the audio. (click here (https://www.metabunk.org/threads/why-racetrack-ufos-are-mostly-starlink-flares.12714/post-286872)if you want to see the details) so the planes reporting the lights were a few hundred miles east of where they appear to be.

https://youtu.be/VAFMcBHbbdE

Flarkey
17th Feb 2023, 09:07
Another reported sighting of similar objects, this time over northern Canada:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/we-re...-lights-near-yellowknife-in-january-1.6277389 (https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/we-re-not-crazy-listen-to-a-flight-report-unusual-lights-near-yellowknife-in-january-1.6277389)

We're not crazy': Listen to a flight report unusual lights near Yellowknife in January:​Air traffic controllers and an approaching flight couldn't identify "two white lights … moving in a circular pattern" that were reported over Yellowknife late at night on Jan. 29.

"Good evening, just wondering, do you got two planes that are just to the east of your field doing circuits or manoeuvres?" a crew member aboard a Canadian North flight from Fort McMurray, Alta., to Yellowknife, N.W.T., asked as it approached the city in northern Canada around 11:15 p.m. local time.

"Negative, I have no reported traffic in the area," an air traffic controller in Yellowknife replied. "Do you have a visual on something?"

"Yeah, we're looking at two lights dancing around here, to the east of your field," the crew of the twin turboprop Canadian North aircraft said. "They're above us, about, I don't know what. We're not seeing them on TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system). But we can see the lights moving around."

I don't have anything on the radar either. Let me talk to centre," the tower responded, likely referring to a flight information centre or flight control centre.

A moment later, the air traffic controller was back on the radio.

"Hey, centre doesn’t have anything about any movement in the area, so I'm really wondering what you're seeing there," they said.

"Yeah, so are we," the flight answered.

"All right, I'm trying to look," air traffic control said, likely peering out of a tower window. "I don't see them from the ground here. Well, I'll keep an eye out. I'll talk with centre again."

"Yeah, no worries," the crew replied. "They're not a risk to us."

Based in the Ottawa suburb Kanata, Canadian North services multiple destinations across northern Canada. As the flight got closer to Yellowknife, the Canadian North crew described seeing the lights "moving around in a circular pattern" well above them, approximately 20 kilometres northwest of the airport.

"We'll talk on the ground," the air traffic controller said. "I'll file a CIRVIS report – this is when we have some sightings that we cannot explain."

Civilian air traffic control in Canada is operated by the private company Nav Canada. According to Nav Canada aviation guidelines, CIRVIS reports – short for "Communication Instructions for Reporting Vital Intelligence Sightings" – should be made "immediately upon a vital intelligence sighting of any airborne and ground objects or activities that appear to be hostile, suspicious, unidentified or engaged in possible illegal smuggling activity." Nav Canada even puts "unidentified flying objects" at the front of a list of "vital intelligence sighting" examples, which also include "submarines, or surface warships identified as being non-Canadian or non-American."

The air traffic controller comes back on the radio again to ask what colour the lights are.

"White," is the reply.

"Roger, thanks."

There's then a pause before the crew member comes back on the radio to say, "We're not crazy."

"No, we believe you."
https://www.metabunk.org/attachments/1676619186091-png.57845/

Initial investigation has shown that the conditions of this sighting again match those for the Starlink Satellites

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/why-are-starlink-racetrack-flares-mostly-reported-from-planes.12720/post-287694

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/907x759/capturev_4f78a42e1484dd6b9867d17ffcfc3a16cc1e069d.jpg

Flarkey
26th Apr 2023, 08:47
Great video here of the 'lightshow' taken flying east over Oklahoma in the early hours of 18 April. These are all Starlink satellites glinting sunlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP03_sN4ZmM

Selfmade92
7th May 2023, 01:10
I agree with the above video. But that is not what we see (nor is it what we talk about....). We see 1 light then 2, then 3. 2 lights circling around 1 light. then 1 light disappears to the right and 1 light circlies around the other. That light disappers. then 1 light remains and goes down up left right. left for a long shot and then right. its not a constant movement. the lights in the video do NOT do that. If it was just left to right... yea we all would agree it is satellites.... but it isn't.

nuisance79
7th May 2023, 22:49
To be fare, mick and Flarky are pro ‘debunkers’ mick even features on the history channel here and there……their probably never going to claim ‘we dont know what it is yet.

Flarkey
9th May 2023, 13:51
To be fair, mick and Flarkey are pro ‘debunkers’. Mick even features on the history channel here and there……they're probably never going to claim "we don't know what it is yet."

Lol, hey nuisance79 - I'm certainly not a 'pro' as I don't make any money from this work. Also I'd hardly call myself a "debunker" either - all I'm doing is identifying things on videos that the camera-person wasn't able to identify at the time. I'm happy to accept that we don't know what everything that has been seen is yet, but I would add that we do know what has been captured in every video - Starlink satellites. The other thing that pilots have seen (like Selfmade92 talks about) hasn't yet been captured on video. Can't wait to see it when it is eventually recorded.

albatross
9th May 2023, 18:06
What the world really needs is a tutorial “How to photograph UFOs with a smartphone”.
Otherwise its …”Oh, look, another unidentifiable, out of focus, blob of light moving rapidly around an unsteady screen.” again and again, forever and ever, Amen!

gb346
14th May 2023, 07:27
I agree with the above video. But that is not what we see (nor is it what we talk about....). We see 1 light then 2, then 3. 2 lights circling around 1 light. then 1 light disappears to the right and 1 light circlies around the other. That light disappers. then 1 light remains and goes down up left right. left for a long shot and then right. its not a constant movement. the lights in the video do NOT do that. If it was just left to right... yea we all would agree it is satellites.... but it isn't.

Totally agree with your statement. I have seen these lights on 4 separate occasions in different parts of the skies (Middle East / Russia / North Africa). The last sighting was 2 nights ago. Lights were moving well above us and they were visible for around an hour. At one point, there were three bright lights motionless in the sky in the form of a triangle and after a few seconds of being stationary, they all move away from each other in different directions. Definitely not your typical satellite type of motion/trajectory.

Flarkey
15th May 2023, 12:04
Totally agree with your statement. I have seen these lights on 4 separate occasions in different parts of the skies (Middle East / Russia / North Africa). The last sighting was 2 nights ago. Lights were moving well above us and they were visible for around an hour. At one point, there were three bright lights motionless in the sky in the form of a triangle and after a few seconds of being stationary, they all move away from each other in different directions. Definitely not your typical satellite type of motion/trajectory.

I assume that you didn't get any footage of these lights? It would be great to see them.

If you don't have video, then if you tell us the date, time & position of your aircraft and on what bearing the lights were we can check the astronomical and orbital parameters to rule in/out Starlink satellites as a possible explanation. ... ?

nuisance79
16th May 2023, 07:21
I assume that you didn't get any footage of these lights? It would be great to see them.

If you don't have video, then if you tell us the date, time & position of your aircraft and on what bearing the lights were we can check the astronomical and orbital parameters to rule in/out Starlink satellites as a possible explanation. ... ?
The challenge is getting a clear picture of anything late at night though the windows of the Flight Deck due to quite a few factors including the reflection from the instruments and displays. Plus, there is other more important things to focus on some of the time :)

But you are right, its difficult without pictures/video footage

Flarkey
16th May 2023, 08:13
The challenge is getting a clear picture of anything late at night though the windows of the Flight Deck due to quite a few factors including the reflection from the instruments and displays. Plus, there is other more important things to focus on some of the time :)

This is the crux of the matter and why I'm passionate about this. Whether or not we think these lights are caused by little green men or by earthly satellites - it is indisputable that they are distracting aircrew and causing confusion which can only adversely affect their concentration when they should be busy flying the plane. We need to understand what is being seen and then get that information out to the aircrew and ATC communities. Now that we can predict where and when the Starlink flares occur we should be able to publish this info in either an app or a Safety Information Bulletin. At least that part of this mystery can be addressed. When we get footage of the 'other thing' that pilots claim to be seeing then that should be similarly addressed.

What do you think would be the best way to get information about the Starlink flares to the Aviation Community?

Flarkey
4th Jul 2023, 13:50
Another video has been posted of 'orbs' seen by an airline pilot, this time a KLM pilot flying from South America to Amsterdam. Again this looks just like the starlink flares that have been seen recently. The video was posted by the "UAP Coalition Netherlands", a Dutch UFO Research group.

PH-Chucky - this might interest you. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkWeZ1em8w&ab_channel=UAPCoalitionNetherlands

Ninthace
5th Jul 2023, 13:15
Another video has been posted of 'orbs' seen by an airline pilot, this time a KLM pilot flying from South America to Amsterdam. Again this looks just like the starlink flares that have been seen recently. The video was posted by the "UAP Coalition Netherlands", a Dutch UFO Research group.

PH-Chucky - this might interest you. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkWeZ1em8w&ab_channel=UAPCoalitionNetherlands
They look like some form of orbital phenomena, the two in the large circle light up and disappear at the same points in the sky.

HOVIS
30th Oct 2023, 23:10
An explanation of the Starlink flare phenomena at about 19 minutes....

https://youtu.be/P1TsOYcvq9A?si=RYNA3BvKg4I_6naE

ManuelK
14th Nov 2023, 14:58
I found that just one year ago three dancing lights were sighted over the North atlantic. We saw them just two days ago again. We just passed N4500/W4530, east-bound, FL400. We were three pilots on the flight deck. I can assure that we did neither see sattelites nor some star formation. We could observe them for some 10 minutes.The objects moved in trajectories unlike the ones normaly done by planes. Impressive and strange at the same time!
Anybody with an explanaition?

Flarkey
15th Nov 2023, 13:07
I found that just one year ago three dancing lights were sighted over the North atlantic. We saw them just two days ago again. We just passed N4500/W4530, east-bound, FL400. We were three pilots on the flight deck. I can assure that we did neither see sattelites nor some star formation. We could observe them for some 10 minutes.The objects moved in trajectories unlike the ones normaly done by planes. Impressive and strange at the same time!
Anybody with an explanaition?

Hey ManuelK - The usual explanation is flaring starlink satellites, that is where the sun glints off the chassis of the satellite from over the horizon. Pilots have been seeing lights likeyou describe for over a year now and on many occasions they, like you, said that they were definitely not satellites. However, on closer investigation , it was shown that flaring starlink satellites would have been visible in the same part of the sky at the same time as their sighting. Some of them accepted starlink flares as an explanation , some didnt. I've seen starlink flares multiple times from the ground and they do look very weird, I'd even say that they dont look like traditional satellites do, and they do appear to move in strange trajectories. This video explains what the starlink flares are.

You said that you were "passed N4500/W4530, east-bound, FL400" - Did you get any video or photos? if you post what date & time your sighting was I can check if starlink flare would have been visible at that moment. (happy to keep this to DMs if you dont want that published). We now understand what the conditions are for the flares to occur, and there's even a starlink flare simulator application: Sitrec nightsky (metabunk.org) (https://www.metabunk.org/sitrec/?sitch=nightsky)

F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VmrRGln1XA

Turbo Encabulator
24th Dec 2023, 22:36
If this has already been posted I couldn't find it.

Not going to call them UFOs, but a lot of people have been seeing them in the last few months. We saw them the other night near NUBDA (near Hokkaido) looking WNW. Nothing spectacular, just lights where they were and what they were doing didn't make sense. Anyone else been seeing it?

JanetFlight
25th Dec 2023, 02:09
Regarding Pacific i cant tell anything, but two evenings ago here on the Iberian Peninsula it was already the same old story with lots of TAP's and Iberias chatting on the freq about the same old lights and patterns that we are seeing for almost two years and the same old story of being Elon Musk machines & Sats wich is starting to be a very ridiculous excuse...

Max Angle
25th Dec 2023, 09:14
It is only ridiculous if you don't understand how the Starlink constellation is being put together, 20+ satellites per launch into both west/east and polar orbits from two different launch locations.

jolihokistix
25th Dec 2023, 09:18
Just had a look for reports in the Japanese press and found various videos with comments by 'experts', but nothing in English.

TURIN
25th Dec 2023, 09:25
SpaceX have been launching these for years, up to 48 satellites on each launch, with as many as three launches per week.

Oasis
25th Dec 2023, 12:36
A bunch of us saw something over the UK Channel as well a few weeks ago at night. Lasted about an hour till we descended back down through the clouds.
Couple of lights circling each other at very high altitude towards the west, white and intermittently increasing and decreasing in intensity. Sometimes remaining still, then swooping down again going up etc. Going in different direction, so not a satellite. Can't fathom what it was, doesn't make sense and is bothering me.

Never believed in any of the UAP hooplah (alien/Mil), until I saw that.

Not Starlink, seen that already, doesn't go in circles.

JanetFlight
25th Dec 2023, 20:31
It is only ridiculous if you don't understand how the Starlink constellation is being put together, 20+ satellites per launch into both west/east and polar orbits from two different launch locations.

Indeed i do Understand how it works and how is being "put together"...My dear nephew he's an Aerospace Engineer working on it for years,

Merry Xmas , Peace <3

Max Angle
25th Dec 2023, 21:08
So why is it "ridiculous" for it to be Starlink?

TURIN
26th Dec 2023, 08:58
A bunch of us saw something over the UK Channel as well a few weeks ago at night. Lasted about an hour till we descended back down through the clouds.
Couple of lights circling each other at very high altitude towards the west, white and intermittently increasing and decreasing in intensity. Sometimes remaining still, then swooping down again going up etc. Going in different direction, so not a satellite. Can't fathom what it was, doesn't make sense and is bothering me.

Never believed in any of the UAP hooplah (alien/Mil), until I saw that.

Not Starlink, seen that already, doesn't go in circles.
It IS Starlink satellites. They appear to change direction but it's an illusion. Scroll up the thread you will see a couple of videos that explain the phenomenon.

Oasis
26th Dec 2023, 22:11
It IS Starlink satellites. They appear to change direction but it's an illusion. Scroll up the thread you will see a couple of videos that explain the phenomenon.

They would hang still, like a star, then start moving, and change direction. Satellites don’t have fuel enough to sustain that, you can retask a satellite, but no satellite will do what those did.

Whatever it was, I’d like to know.

TURIN
26th Dec 2023, 22:18
Have you watched the videos? You are not seeing satellites changing direction under their own power, you are seeing multiple satellites in converging orbits that appear to the naked eye as if they are one. There are currently over 5500 of them, with a further 40,000 planned.

Oasis
27th Dec 2023, 09:36
Have you watched the videos? You are not seeing satellites changing direction under their own power, you are seeing multiple satellites in converging orbits that appear to the naked eye as if they are one. There are currently over 5500 of them, with a further 40,000 planned.

You could be right.

Mr Good Cat
27th Dec 2023, 10:10

Correct.

I have seen this phenomena coming back up over Greece / The Balkans heading north west several times over the last couple of years. My initial thoughts were high altitude AWACS aircraft in a racetrack pattern monitoring the situation over Ukraine. Once I'd seen the Starlink explanation about perspective it made total sense. I can understand why some people want there to be a little wonder left in the world (that includes me) but the fact is, advanced alien races won't be sending little brightly lit objects to spam us, like some giant game of intergalactic knock and run :-)

GE90-115B
28th Dec 2023, 15:48
Spotted them a couple of days back airborne from UAE over Oman FIR. We were at FL330. Managed to click pics and videos as well will post them shortly.
Time UTC 2300+.
Direction of lights - Both east and west bound.
Number of lights - Upto 3 in parallel.

Turbo Encabulator
29th Dec 2023, 05:48
Great video here of the 'lightshow' taken flying east over Oklahoma in the early hours of 18 April. These are all Starlink satellites glinting sunlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP03_sN4ZmM
Great video of starlink.

Not what I've been seeing.

Oasis
29th Dec 2023, 14:58
See these are all going in the same direction, I remember slowing down, changing direction etc.

Tight Seat
29th Dec 2023, 17:33
Oasis- I’ve seen exactly the same as you twice now.

The Starlink explanation doesn’t work for me.

TURIN
30th Dec 2023, 01:11
Oasis- I’ve seen exactly the same as you twice now.

The Starlink explanation doesn’t work for me.
There is no other explanation.

JanetFlight
30th Dec 2023, 02:41

Are you 100% sure that all the sightings around the world by hundreds of pilots are mere and absolutely normal Starlink sats, and all of us are simple naive..?

Tight Seat
30th Dec 2023, 12:15

That you know of?

FullWings
30th Dec 2023, 16:26
I have yet to see any video evidence of satellites slowing down and/or changing direction. What I have seen is a compelling visual illusion with multiple satellites crossing roughly the same area, fading in and out, which gives the impression that it is one UFO going backwards and forwards. Careful inspection reveals that this is not the case.

Imagine you are watching a road at night from a distance and you see lights crossing your field of view and disappearing, followed by more lights doing the same thing, maybe even coming from the opposite direction. Which is most likely: multiple cars driving in straight lines at constant speed or a single car rushing backwards and forwards at accelerations likely to kill the occupants...?

Oasis
31st Dec 2023, 10:04
I have yet to see any video evidence of satellites slowing down and/or changing direction. What I have seen is a compelling visual illusion with multiple satellites crossing roughly the same area, fading in and out, which gives the impression that it is one UFO going backwards and forwards. Careful inspection reveals that this is not the case.

Imagine you are watching a road at night from a distance and you see lights crossing your field of view and disappearing, followed by more lights doing the same thing, maybe even coming from the opposite direction. Which is most likely: multiple cars driving in straight lines at constant speed or a single car rushing backwards and forwards at accelerations likely to kill the occupants...?

You have to see it to believe it, 30 years of flying, never saw anything like it.

TURIN
31st Dec 2023, 11:36
Are you 100% sure that all the sightings around the world by hundreds of pilots are mere and absolutely normal Starlink sats, and all of us are simple naive..?
Yes, there are several videos that explain this.
https://youtu.be/P1TsOYcvq9A?feature=shared

About 19 minutes into this. Scott is also a pilot having recently gained his PPL.

Here's another...

https://youtu.be/Ea8BCl2yVU0?feature=shared

Remember, since these videos were made, hundreds more starlink have been launched on polar orbits. They are orbiting in multiple directions, not just west to east.
You are not naive, uninformed perhaps but hopefully forum like these will help.

Xhorst
1st Jan 2024, 09:47
Most of the Starlink satellites are at a 53deg inclined orbit.

This means that they will appear to be tracking north as they approach 53N, then appear to stop and then track south. That's a likely explanation for the "they can't be satellites because they change direction" assumptions.

There are also newer satellites at 43deg inclined orbit, and some polar ones at 97.6deg.

You can see them all here: https://beta.starlink.sx

Selfmade92
13th Jan 2024, 15:26
Looks like on instagram the user "dominicafc84" was able to take a fairly similiar depiction of what I've been seeing. It's a little shorter of what I noticed (the one I've been seeing usually lasts 15 minutes before disappearing). The video might be meteors.

KaraokeMan
13th Jan 2024, 19:00
except, of course, aliens

hunterboy
14th Jan 2024, 09:22
Well, there are some interesting objects out there. A couple of us saw some kind of extremely high speed “space-plane” travelling extremely fast at high altitude with no lights over Baghdad a few weeks ago. ATC weren’t saying anything , but it was visible to several aircraft transiting the FIR. It looked a bit like the X-37B, but I read later it wasn’t launched until a few days later, so it may have been me imagining the shape. There are certainly man made things out there that certain parties are keeping under wraps.

ShyTorque
14th Jan 2024, 09:55
I certainly don’t claim to have seen any flying saucers but I did see something unusual last autumn. I went outside to watch the ISS pass from west to east, which I sometimes like to do (I have an “app” that can be set to inform me when it will be visible here). It always passes fairly well south of here, so I was concentrating on the southern sky. Whilst out there I also saw various satellites pass. What I took to be another satellite appeared in the south but it was unusual in its direction of travel and very high speed. It was fairly dim, but it headed north north west and passed over me from well south and was gone in not many seconds, moving many times faster than any other satellite I’ve seen. It certainly wasn’t an aircraft. My “app” has a comprehensive library of satellites and other night sky objects but I couldn’t find any information about it. An asteroid maybe?

Mr Good Cat
14th Jan 2024, 13:19
except, of course, aliens

It just goes to show how many aliens are actually visiting us these days. Seems they have to go into a high altitude holding pattern whilst they wait their turn to scoot down and abduct people for anal probing.

vegassun
14th Jan 2024, 14:52
Most of the Starlink satellites are at a 53deg inclined orbit.

This means that they will appear to be tracking north as they approach 53N, then appear to stop and then track south. That's a likely explanation for the "they can't be satellites because they change direction" assumptions.

There are also newer satellites at 43deg inclined orbit, and some polar ones at 97.6deg.

You can see them all here: https://beta.starlink.sx

I'm going to have to drop the red challenge flag on that. Satellites in earth orbit are going in a straight line (actually a really really small arc aka centripetal force) with the earth slowly rotating below. Their ground track depicted on a flat wall map looks like a sine wave (going up and down), but they are going in a straight line. You can only see the spacecraft in orbit for a minute or two then it's gone. So from the ground you are only seeing about 1/100th of it's orbit. That's not long enough for it to appear to change directions. The same thing happens when you follow the great circle route on a cross country airplane flight (looks curved on a chart) from east coast to west coast (or vice versa). Over time the airplane's magnetic heading is slowly changing but you are flying in a straight line. People on the ground watching your jet fly over at high altitude in cruise see a perfectly straight vapor trail.

JanetFlight
14th Jan 2024, 17:56
For those who have an Insta account, this is a public post made by Instagram user *Dominicafc84*, apparently skipper at ET 350s.
Marvellous indeed...
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2CtVhBMsry/

Oasis
14th Jan 2024, 19:58
What is on that video, is essentially what I saw too. one of the lights is not traveling a straight line, what I saw too. Can a satellite do this?

Flarkey
14th Jan 2024, 20:02
What is on that video, is essentially what I saw too. one of the lights is not traveling a straight line, what I saw too. Can a satellite do this?

Yes, the starlink satellite flares can appear exactly like this.

For those who have an Insta account, this is a public post made by Instagram user *Dominicafc84*, apparently skipper at ET 350s.
Marvellous indeed...
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2CtVhBMsry/
That is a great capture. Looks exactly like the Starlink flares I have seen too. Nice to hear that pilots are still seeing this too.

FullWings
14th Jan 2024, 20:15
Yes, looks like the sun briefly being reflected off the underneath (planet facing) part of some satellites in different orbits. They fade in and out but are all going in straight lines, just different directions. Fascinating to see but easily explained.

Flarkey
1st Feb 2024, 07:46
More lights seen over Canada by pilots last week...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/ufos-listen-as-pilots-describe-bizarre-lights-and-triangle-formation-over-canadian-prairies-1.6748300Pilots describe 'bizarre' lights and 'triangles' over Canada in air traffic control audio​Early on Jan. 19, several pilots reported "multiple lights sometimes in a triangle formation(opens in a new tab) (https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/rd.aspx?cno%3d2024C0262%26dtef%3d%26dtet%3d2024-01-23%26otp%3d-1%26ftop%3d%253e%253d%26ftno%3d0%26ijop%3d%253e%253d%26ijno% 3d0%26olc%3d%26prv%3d-1%26rgn%3d-1%26tsbno%3d%26tsbi%3d-1%26arno%3d%26ocatno%3d%26ocatop%3d1%26oevtno%3d%26oevtop%3d 1%26evtacoc%3d3%26fltno%3d%26fltr%3d-1%26cars%3d-1%26acat%3d-1%26nar%3d%26aiddl%3d-1%26aidxt%3d%26optdl%3d-1%26optcomt%3d%26optseq%3d%26optxt%3d%26opdlxt%3dResults%2bw ill%2bappear%2bin%2bthis%2blist%26mkdl%3d-1%26mkxt%3d%26mdldl%3d-1%26mdlxt%3d%26cmkdl%3dC%26cmkxt%3d%26rt%3dQR%26hypl%3dy%26c num%3d2024C0262)" high above the Canadian Prairies.

"I had a company aircraft over Thunder Bay suggest, he thinks it possibly could be satellites," an air traffic controller in Winnipeg told aviators around 4:45 am local time, according to audio obtained by CTVNews.ca.

"I'm certainly no expert, but they're moving side-to-side and then going away from each other and then forming triangles," an Air Canada pilot from Seattle to Winnipeg replied while flying over Saskatchewan. "That doesn't really seem like they're in any type of orbit. But I mean, I'm no expert."

"Yeah, it's quite bizarre," a pilot on a nearby Flair Airlines flight from Vancouver to Toronto added. "There's around six of them just randomly in formation flying at a high altitude at 12 o'clock."

"Definitely not satellites," a pilot on a Morningstar Air Express cargo flight from Calgary to Toronto interjected. "It's unlike anything I've ever seen in the 15 years of night flying that I've done."

You can listen to their conversation here (https://youtu.be/DgbNKOK7lr4).

The 13-minute clip was culled from 2.5 hours of raw audio downloaded from two feeds at LiveATC.net(opens in a new tab) (https://www.liveatc.net/), a website that streams and archives air traffic control radio. Edited for length, the original conversations between pilots and air traffic controllers took place from approximately 4:20 a.m. to 6 a.m. CST.

"There's no active airspace, military airspace, anything like that we're aware of," an air traffic controller said on Jan. 19. "I honestly have no idea what that might be."

At least four aircraft reported seeing the lights that morning, including Flair and Morningstar jets, and two Air Canada flights. They estimated the lights were well above them, as high as 100,000 feet (30,480 metres), which is beyond the reach of most fighter jets. Two other crews also chimed in to say they've recently had similar sightings over Canada.

"I haven't seen them tonight, but we've been seeing those lights for probably the last 18 months or so, just for your information," a pilot on a Cargojet flight from Hamilton, Ont. to Winnipeg reported.

"Wow, that's interesting," a WestJet pilot flying from Winnipeg to Toronto replied. "I've had it but only ever going westbound, with three or four like that over the last month or so."

"I've never seen them eastbound, only westbound," the Cargojet pilot added. "And yeah, same thing too: movement all over, sometimes they make a triangle, sometimes they make a diamond and square. They're bright and they just appear all over."

"Sure be nice to get answers on that, for sure," another pilot said.

Although the article quotes one pilot as saying "Definitely not satellites,", another pilot says it is satellites " we saw them before I think it's just like with reflection from the Sun, it matches the position of the sun if we look on on different apps".

Audio Transcript:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgbNKOK7lr4

Again the evidence suggest that these were just Starlink Satellites. The Sitrec flare prediction software shows that Starlink Flares would have been visible from over the Canadian Prairies at 1040Z 19 Jan 24.

Simulator link: Sitrec nightsky (metabunk.org) (https://www.metabunk.org/u/IS25QH.html) needs desktop browser.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1893x923/starlink_c5c80fca22fe2a60a518289d7a1e3ad2a15ecc2d.png

Mr Good Cat
4th Feb 2024, 00:46
So, managed to see these again tonight after about a 2 year gap (Atlantic, canaries to Northern Europe). We let it freak out one of our cabin crew until we explained the Starlink perspective. It’s great fun to watch though. Proper close encounters stuff.

51bravo
22nd Feb 2024, 12:15
Hi there,

didnt want to open an own topic. Yesterday the European ERS-2 satellite, quite a big chunk of space hardware was plunging into the pacific ocean somewhere on the path Vancouver->Honolulu.
The entry into atmosphere was according to ESA at 21/FEB/2024 17:17 UTC. Anyone enjoyed a good light show over the northern pacific yesterday?

https://www.esa.int/Space_Safety/Space_Debris/ERS-2_reenters_Earth_s_atmosphere_over_Pacific_Ocean

Until now no witness reports in the media, or social media.